Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
DM here, 2400 miles on odometer.

No pulling at all.

Best wishes!
YES, we know the majority of owners do not experience this. This thread and questions are focused on the few that do encounter the pulling. And any logical input, ideas that might help isolate the root cause.

But, thanks for your insight.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Both my QM, and the QM one of my buddies has pull left. A ton of variables at play most likely.

Having made that statement, I am a big fan of a line a fellow engineer is fond of using; " the most reliable part you can ever engineer is the one that does not exist".

The DM eliminated a pretty significant variable. Mine tracks straight as an arrow, so is this a variable we should be looking at?
FWIW, mine only pulls right when I have AT tires on. I just switched to my AS and it's smoooooth sailing.

Does my steering wheel still tilt right? Of course, it's a Rivian. But it tracks straight!

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

My QM has no pull, it tracks very straight. However, the wheel is turned about 5 degrees counterclockwise while driving straight. SC ā€œfixedā€ it once but it was the same when I picked it up. Iā€™ve given up.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
It should not pull, veer, drift to either side. My T did not before an accident. Now it does.

The SCs really need to get this fixed and stop with the, "..it's within the specs...", stupidity!

The worse part is when they say it is aligned and are confident it is fixed. They say, "..after a few test drives there was no veering". Then one goes there and not even 3 minutes into a test drive with them, they say, "oh yes it is veering to the right, it should not.."

My T has been aligned, recalibrated, adjusted 4x in less than a month.

I have never had a car do this, especially after it was aligned so many freaking times!!

We may be a small portion encountering this. But, yes I will "say it", for the price of the vehicle, irrespective of Riv being a new company and us willing guinea pigs, this is inexcusable. And, no, not all of us are or care to be mechanics.

I'm at the Dallas service center, truck was delivered 9/2022, after the 2nd attempt they started riding with me and each time they rode with me, it was like "oh yeah this is bad we will not give up until you're happy" That was a freaking awesome response, but after the 3rd/4th attempt and it wasn't right I called the service number again and we agreed, let's give the service center more time to learn then try again so from 5k miles to 12k miles I drove it wheel off to one side / tracked kinda straight but not great, then finally 4 months later 7k miles later we made the appt for the 5th attempt and it came back perfect.

Sponsored

RivRider

First Name
Nas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜24 R1S, LS, Ocean Coast/Dark Ash, 22ā€ Sport Dark
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

YES, we know the majority of owners do not experience this. This thread and questions are focused on the few that do encounter the pulling. And any logical input, ideas that might help isolate the root cause.

But, thanks for your insight.
Hi, I have a DM with 1,425 miles on it. Has pulled right since delivery. Iā€™ve had three alignments and all four tires replaced (which helped a little bit) in the four weeks Iā€™ve owned it, but it still pulls right when steering wheel is at 0 degrees. Service center technician did a road test with me and saw it track right both when he drove (he was definitely holding the steering wheel turned a little to left) and when I drove. But when we got back to the SC, he told the lead tech and manager it was fine wen he drove it on local and expressway, and that it went a little to the right when I drove it on expressway. Which was patently false. lead technician tried to convince me that the alignment is within spec and thatā€™s how all R1Ss drive (funny, because the loaner they gave me last time didnā€™t). Finally they asked me what I want. I said I wanted someone to look into it figure out a solution for this issue because this shouldnā€™t be ā€œwithin specs.ā€ They offered to throw it back up for alignment again which would take a couple hours (with probably the same result since alignment reads all green) or they could over-correct to the left so it doesnā€™t pull anymore but then thatā€™d have its own host of problems with uneven uneven wear on tires, etc. Iā€™m in touch with the regional manager now but I donā€™t expect a solution. When I spoke to him yesterday, sounded like he was just parroting what the guys at the SC said. I donā€™t blame the SC guys, Iā€™m sure theyā€™re only doing everything they know and are trained on. But I agree with the other post about how they need to stop with the ā€œitā€™s within specsā€ BS, acknowledge the defect, and resolve it. This turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry about that.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Iā€™ve had three alignments and all four tires replaced (which helped a little bit) in the four weeks Iā€™ve owned it, but it still pulls right when steering wheel is at 0 degrees.
I'm wondering if your statement is part of the confusion. "Pulls right" to me is if you let go of the wheel, what does the vehicle do. This is independent of the position of the steering wheel. If my steering wheel is pointing in either direction but the vehicle tracks straight when I let go, this is not "Pulls right". Pointing the steering wheel straight in this situation means that you are actively causing the vehicle to turn.

I have noticed on my quad motor that the position of the steering wheel will vary slightly over the life of a set of tires. This is probably caused by the minute variation in suspension differences between sides of the vehicle, due to the wear not being completely even. I've learned to just ignore it as long as the vehicle is tracking straight without needing to impart effort on the wheel to do it.

RivRider

First Name
Nas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜24 R1S, LS, Ocean Coast/Dark Ash, 22ā€ Sport Dark
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

I'm wondering if your statement is part of the confusion. "Pulls right" to me is if you let go of the wheel, what does the vehicle do. This is independent of the position of the steering wheel. If my steering wheel is pointing in either direction but the vehicle tracks straight when I let go, this is not "Pulls right". Pointing the steering wheel straight in this situation means that you are actively causing the vehicle to turn.

I have noticed on my quad motor that the position of the steering wheel will vary slightly over the life of a set of tires. This is probably caused by the minute variation in suspension differences between sides of the vehicle, due to the wear not being completely even. I've learned to just ignore it as long as the vehicle is tracking straight without needing to impart effort on the wheel to do it.
Maybe Iā€™m explaining it incorrectly to them. Would appreciate if you could give ideas on how to frame it. Hereā€™s what happens:

1. if Iā€™m driving at any rate of speed and let go of the steering wheel, the steering wheel centers/goes to ā€œzero degreesā€ and the vehicle starts drifting to the right as it moves forward.
2. If Iā€™m driving at any rate of speed and hold the steering wheel firmly straight/at ā€œzero degrees) the vehicle drifts to the right while moving forward.

How should I explain it to the SC? And is this the same problem the folks on this thread are having?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored