First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Clinical Educator/US Army
Is there a way to align the steering wheel after an alignment? In the service menu that’s accessible? It was just aligned and still pulls slightly to the right. So, looking to remedy that.
Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Nope, you will need to do alignment again or just give up (as I did)

OP
OP
the_akrish

the_akrish

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Nope, you will need to do alignment again or just give up (as I did)
hahaha, i figured this is what was going to come out... The BMW dealer I bought it from did it and said they'd pay for the SC to do it, so it will go on the 16th.

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
It should not pull, veer, drift to either side. My T did not before an accident. Now it does.

The SCs really need to get this fixed and stop with the, "..it's within the specs...", stupidity!

The worse part is when they say it is aligned and are confident it is fixed. They say, "..after a few test drives there was no veering". Then one goes there and not even 3 minutes into a test drive with them, they say, "oh yes it is veering to the right, it should not.."

My T has been aligned, recalibrated, adjusted 4x in less than a month.

I have never had a car do this, especially after it was aligned so many freaking times!!

We may be a small portion encountering this. But, yes I will "say it", for the price of the vehicle, irrespective of Riv being a new company and us willing guinea pigs, this is inexcusable. And, no, not all of us are or care to be mechanics.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
the_akrish

the_akrish

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
thanks for the input, the BMW dealer tried to align it for hrs still having the pull to the right

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Are any of you guys with pulling issues running DM machines?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Are any of you guys with pulling issues running DM machines?
Mine (QM)used to pull but service center realigned early on (almost 2 years ago)and it is gone. Tire wear is super even too. I am actually surprised how even the tire wear is. Like a solid axle Jeep. 38k now.

What's your theory? Some QM's maybe have a motors with very uneven power curves? Seems weird for Bosch to have that type of quality control issues but maybe that is why some pull?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Mine (QM)used to pull but service center realigned early on (almost 2 years ago)and it is gone. Tire wear is super even too. I am actually surprised how even the tire wear is. Like a solid axle Jeep. 38k now.

What's your theory? Some QM's maybe have a motors with very uneven power curves? Seems weird for Bosch to have that type of quality control issues but maybe that is why some pull?
It's not weird at all. Trying to mass produce both motors and the associated inverters that output absolutely identically is actually more difficult than you might imagine; even for a manufacturer like Bosch.

Both GM and Tesla engineers feared this problem, and avoided it by using a tri-motor architecture. Powering drive wheels separately on a steering axle has long been viewed as potentially problematic.

Is this what's going on with some machines? Hard to say, hence my question.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's not weird at all. Trying to mass produce both motors and the associated inverters that output absolutely identically is actually more difficult than you might imagine; even for a manufacturer like Bosch.

Both GM and Tesla engineers feared this problem, and avoided it by using a tri-motor architecture. Powering drive wheels separately on a steering axle has long been viewed as potentially problematic.

Is this what's going on with some machines? Hard to say, hence my question.
But you would think if it were that, why does it seem most reports are that they pull right? Would seem then just as many would pull left? Yet that is almost never reported.

Mine pulled right but was corrected by service center. It seems many early units were pulling left like they were doing something wrong at the plant in alignment center. But then corrected or correctable at service centers. Then there seem some outliers that can't seem to get then aligned no matter what.

Sponsored

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
QM with a recent front driver side motor replacement as well as steering rack, tie rods and other parts.

This started after the body shop work was done. I've had my T since last July.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
But you would think if it were that, why does it seem most reports are that they pull right? Would seem then just as many would pull left? Yet that is almost never reported.
Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but of course the majority of road surfaces slope to the right, so the vehicle is naturally going to drift right.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but of course the majority of road surfaces slope to the right, so the vehicle is naturally going to drift right.
I get that, but I assume when people say their QM pull right they have checked the pull against that. When mine pulled right it did so on flat surface. And on crown left it would become neutral. After service center realignment it slightly pulls with crown like you are saying.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Mine pulled right but was corrected by service center. It seems many early units were pulling left like they were doing something wrong at the plant in alignment center. But then corrected or correctable at service centers. Then there seem some outliers that can't seem to get then aligned no matter what.
Both my QM, and the QM one of my buddies has pull left. A ton of variables at play most likely.

Having made that statement, I am a big fan of a line a fellow engineer is fond of using; " the most reliable part you can ever engineer is the one that does not exist".

The DM eliminated a pretty significant variable. Mine tracks straight as an arrow, so is this a variable we should be looking at?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Both my QM, and the QM one of my buddies has pull left. A ton of variables at play most likely.

Having made that statement, I am a big fan of a line a fellow engineer is fond of using; " the most reliable part you can ever engineer is the one that does not exist".

The DM eliminated a pretty significant variable. Mine tracks straight as an arrow, so is this a variable we should be looking at?
Might be. Would be good to know if any DM's have any pulling issues like you asked. I will say...my QM tracks correctly and tire wear is also very even....so it can be accomplished in QM. At least my combo of all the variable QM. Others may vary.
Sponsored