First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah, the regen alone likely won’t cut it here. Have road experience with my Model3, which IS impressive.
We currently have a Model 3 and also had a Model Y... the R1T offers wayyyy more regen than either of those, yes.. significantly more. I have always set regen in all the EV's I've owned (since 2012) to max, with that in mind.. I've actually dialed back the regen in my R1T to "normal" because "max" was so intense.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’ve done some pretty steep and long grades coming from tower locations and in rock crawl with hold off, it just cruises on regen at 3-4 mph. With hold on it regens to a stop and then the friction brakes apply. I think you’ll be fine and love it. Please let us know your experience when you get it.

OP
OP

Hawaii Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Each update has reduced the regen at beginning of leaving home for me down a steep hill and a couple of hairpins. This lack of regen or blending in and out happens even at 70 soc. Have tried charging for an hour before leaving and didn’t make much difference. The red low or no regen warning hasn’t come on after last update either. My recommendatio, unless future updates change this, is to take it slow. No experience with rock crawl on pavement but sounds like an option for you
Each update has reduced the regen at beginning of leaving home for me down a steep hill and a couple of hairpins. This lack of regen or blending in and out happens even at 70 soc. Have tried charging for an hour before leaving and didn’t make much difference. The red low or no regen warning hasn’t come on after last update either. My recommendatio, unless future updates change this, is to take it slow. No experience with rock crawl on pavement but sounds like an option for you
Thanks WSea!

OP
OP

Hawaii Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
At 45°, you should be decelerating without breaks on high regen, assuming SOC is not high.
Thanks quartz. This is something Rivian wouldn't say to me. Are you referring to being in Crawl (or equivalent) Mode? Or would you say applicable even in other modes?

OP
OP

Hawaii Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
I lose regen all the time driving down mountains in all weather scenarios. The characteristics of how/when have been changing with the recent updates. I will say that even when regen is cut down, there are still minimal regen levels so I don't gain speed. If anything it slows me down, slightly.
Thanks aag12

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hawaii Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
I’ve done some pretty steep and long grades coming from tower locations and in rock crawl with hold off, it just cruises on regen at 3-4 mph. With hold on it regens to a stop and then the friction brakes apply. I think you’ll be fine and love it. Please let us know your experience when you get it.
Thanks for the beta. If you want to go from slow crawl to stop, can you do so without applying friction brakes? Or will the crawl keep it in forward motion until brakes applied?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Thanks for the beta. If you want to go from slow crawl to stop, can you do so without applying friction brakes? Or will the crawl keep it in forward motion until brakes applied?
If auto hold is on, and I think it is for all modes except rock crawl it will come to a stop if you let off all the way.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Thanks quartz. This is something Rivian wouldn't say to me. Are you referring to being in Crawl (or equivalent) Mode? Or would you say applicable even in other modes?
Any mode. The regen is that good!
Sponsored