John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

Talked to someone today that was at the crash test facility when Rivian was getting tested and I was told they are not passing the side impact crash test on the passenger door side. This is not meant to spread rumors but it was a competitor getting their crash tests done as well.

I know nothing about crash testing so I don't know if this is common to fail or what and just make adjustments and try again. Just a tidbit of info I got today.
Sponsored

Last edited:

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Talked to someone today that was at the crash test facility when Rivian was getting tested and I was told they are not passing the side impact crash test on the passenger door side. This is not meant to spread rumors but it was a competitor getting their crash tests done as well.

I'm known nothing about crash testing so I don't know if this is common to fail or what and just make adjustments and try again. Just a tidbit of info I got today.
Hmmm. Very interesting.

superdavePA

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Tesla Y / '22 R1S / Harley Ultra
Occupation
Engineer

I know nothing about crash testing so I don't know if this is common to fail or what and just make adjustments and try again. Just a tidbit of info I got today.
Hmmm, maybe Rivian needs that Offroad Package, as standard, anyway....to help strengthen, possibly. Compromises for range, strength, etc...but safety first; typical engineering challenges.
If true, the plot thickens...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Seems like both a weird impact to fail, and weird timing (they were testing months ago, right?).

Not saying you're wrong. Just surprising to me. If a test were to be failed I would have guessed it was the offset front impact test or something.

Sponsored

OP
OP
johnnylawson

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Clubs

I have no idea when the test was - let me preface it with that - it was just casually talking about electric trucks - had a time crunch so I couldn't ask more detailed questions. I debated putting info on here but I thought it might be useful - but wouldn't take it as the absolute reason for the delay. Don't shoot me for it :)

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Why would a competitor be privy to Rivian’s crash test results?

One would think this is pretty top secret information.

Sponsored

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Can you fail a crash test? I didn't think it was a pass or fail kind of test. I thought you just get a lower rating with poor results

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Can you fail a crash test? I didn't think it was a pass or fail kind of test. I thought you just get a lower rating with poor results
I mean, without spending the time to research it, there is surely a minimum performance that has to be met. If you crash tested a car that split in half and ejected the crash test dummies like a they didn't have seatbelts on I'd imagine that wouldn't meet the basic safety requirements that a company has to certify they meet.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

I’m calling BS on this info. Unless Rivian totally blew their CAD modeling on their design. I’m am not an expert by no means, but I do have a weird absession for watching crash test, especially for a vehicle I’m looking to buy.

if you look at Tesla side impact, the barrier and pole, they do extremely well due the the battery pack’s robust build. In looking at Rivian’s body in white, it’s looks well designed, but then it depends on what type of metal they are using in which areas.
Also, it’s not a pass/fail test. I’ve also never seen data of any modern car or truck failing. RAM trucks come to mind as being Poor until maybe the 2020 model they finally build a decent truck.

Here’s some info from IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/media/f7c2146c.../IIHS side impact barrier 2.0 development.pdf

OP
OP
johnnylawson

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Clubs

Why would a competitor be privy to Rivian’s crash test results?

One would think this is pretty top secret information.
Good points

I’m calling BS on this info. Unless Rivian totally blew their CAD modeling on their design. I’m am not an expert by no means, but I do have a weird absession for watching crash test, especially for a vehicle I’m looking to buy.

if you look at Tesla side impact, the barrier and pole, they do extremely well due the the battery pack’s robust build. In looking at Rivian’s body in white, it’s looks well designed, but then it depends on what type of metal they are using in which areas.
Also, it’s not a pass/fail test. I’ve also never seen data of any modern car or truck failing. RAM trucks come to mind as being Poor until maybe the 2020 model they finally build a decent truck.

Here’s some info from IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/media/f7c2146c-ac85-41fa-9721-5081c09cdd54/poI6IA/Ratings/Protocols/future programs/IIHS side impact barrier 2.0 development.pdf
All good info. I'm not saying they weren't giving me bs because I told them I was a rivian pre-order and this person has a huge stake in the competition. I recognize this is 2nd hand information from a first hand account. Just take it with a grain of salt and felt compelled to share. I'll keep anymore info I get to myself :)
Sponsored

Last edited: