Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If only there was a driving mode that was designed for a wide range of purposes that provides comfort while still being sporty. You could go so far as to say it addresses "all purposes"
Maybe one day we'll get an OTA update.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I notice an improvement with the tonneau cover, anyone else? The cover is slower now but makes less (popping) noise.
I noticed my cover moving slower yesterday, actually sounded like it was struggling more. So I'm glad that might not be what it was.

Rivian, if you’re listening, please let me disable the truck going into park when I lift my butt off the seat when backing up. It and vampire drain are my only 2 gripes with the vehicle.
You could consider two-footing it. If you're holding the brake down at the same time as pushing in the accelerator, it won't auto-park since the truck knows you aren't actively trying to leave the driving position. It's definitely one of those "controls engineering axioms" that's been appropriated. I.E. can't crush your hand in a hydraulic press if you have to use two hands to activate the equipment.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I’m not sure where else this is discussed because it’s hard to search… but I wish they would fix the sport mode “bucking”.

The transition between accelerating and regenerative breaking is basically non existent.

If they would let the thing coast for a second or two after lifting off the accelerator in sport mode you wouldn’t find your foot bouncing on and off the accelerator between the two functions as you get jolted back and forth.

Anyone else experience this?

Turning regeneration down helps a little, I think.
Yeah the bucking happens on the low setting when driving stop and go or bumpy city streets. It's worse in conserve mode than sport, but bad in both. I don't recommend using either mode unless you are on the highway or maybe a nice canyon road for sport.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Same with "bucking" in sport mode. If I hit a bump with firm suspension and slightly get off the throttle the combo of instant regen + suspension bounce + my foot bouncing a little makes the bucking embarrassing and uncomfortable for passengers. I'm coming from a Model 3, and it wasn't a problem but the suspension was very soft. I don't have this problem in other modes. Hard to describe but it's almost impossible to keep my foot still enough to not have a few "bucks"
I know others are dogging you, but this is a fair critique of sport mode IMO. It absolutely bucks at the slightest variance in pedal position. I don't use sport mode for this reason, but I would if it was tweaked to be a bit more forgiving.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I know others are dogging you, but this is a fair critique of sport mode IMO. It absolutely bucks at the slightest variance in pedal position. I don't use sport mode for this reason, but I would if it was tweaked to be a bit more forgiving.
Isn’t the point of sport mode to have sharp response? Other modes can numb the pedal feel, but sport is supposed to be “direct”.

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Isn’t the point of sport mode to have sharp response? Other modes can numb the pedal feel, but sport is supposed to be “direct”.
Direct does not mean unforgiving. Increased pedal response does not have to introduce bucking. I've never driven a dedicated sports car with bucking. Why is that a requirement of a sport mode?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Direct does not mean unforgiving. Increased pedal response does not have to introduce bucking. I've never driven a dedicated sports car with bucking. Why is that a requirement of a sport mode?
It's direct control. It isn't "filtering" or "dumbing-down" the process.

ICE vehicles don't have regen, so of course when you lift off the throttle you don't get significant braking, right away (just a little from engine compression braking).

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
It's direct control. It isn't "filtering" or "dumbing-down" the process.

ICE vehicles don't have regen, so of course when you lift off the throttle you don't get significant braking, right away (just a little from engine compression braking).
I don’t care what it is, in its current state it’s unusable on normal roads. I haven’t heard this complaint from Tesla owners, yet multiple Rivian owners have specifically commented on the bucking behavior of sport mode. I have personally experienced it, even on standard regen, and even with my foot as planted as I can get it.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don’t care what it is, in its current state it’s unusable on normal roads. I haven’t heard this complaint from Tesla owners, yet multiple Rivian owners have specifically commented on the bucking behavior of sport mode. I have personally experienced it, even on standard regen, and even with my foot as planted as I can get it.
Been pretty great for me. I only use it when I want to drive "spirited" however.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone else’s vents still wacky and change position in auto mode when you get back into your vehicle?

I almost feel like it’s worse than before the most recent update. I used to get 2-3 drives/park cycles before the vents would spontaneously point in a different direction but now don’t even get 1 cycle before one of my vents moves.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Why are you using Sport mode if your primary concern is passenger comfort? Seems you may be misusing the modes.
Until the latest update, which I got today, I used Sport mode w/soft suspension as it was the only way to get the truck to go no higher than "Low" height setting in order to ease getting in/out of the truck. I have found no significant difference in normal driving comfort between Sport/Soft/Low and All-purpose/Soft/Low.

The update means I won't have to run Sport to get it to stay in Low so I'll be going back to AP to give the new default height capability a test to make sure it persists.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Anyone else’s vents still wacky and change position in auto mode when you get back into your vehicle?

I almost feel like it’s worse than before the most recent update. I used to get 2-3 drives/park cycles before the vents would spontaneously point in a different direction but now don’t even get 1 cycle before one of my vents moves.
It IS worse in one regard. My left-most vent no longer moves as far toward the driver as it did this morning prior to the update. Haven't been able to test the setting persistance yet.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It IS worse in one regard. My left-most vent no longer moves as far toward the driver as it did this morning prior to the update. Haven't been able to test the setting persistance yet.
That’s my exact experience too. I adjust it so that it kind of points at me and next time I get back in the car, it’s pointing at the driver’s side window.

The middle driver’s vent also tends to wander by about 15-30 degrees.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s my exact experience too. I adjust it so that it kind of points at me and next time I get back in the car, it’s pointing at the driver’s side window.

The middle driver’s vent also tends to wander by about 15-30 degrees.
To be clear, mine now refuses to do anything but point at the door card. It will not point at the driver. Definitely happened with the update this morning. Can adjust height, but not windage. It just ignores what you're doing on the screen.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
To be clear, mine now refuses to do anything but point at the door card. It will not point at the driver. Definitely happened with the update this morning. Can adjust height, but not windage. It just ignores what you're doing on the screen.
You might want to try a soft reset. One of my vents also got completely messed up and thought it was broken, but a soft reset fixed it.
Sponsored