First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Ha! those sneaky bastards we speculated a long time ago that those were flood lights in the mirrors and I had multiple people tell me no.

"Surprise! Your R1 now has flood lights. These lights are located on the front of each side view mirror and can be controlled individually. They also work with the mirrors folded in. That means if you’re parked parallel to your campsite, you can choose to fold in the mirrors and illuminate the side of your campground without having to point your R1 directly at it."

I took this picture in Austin in April of 2021 and the employee with the truck was the one that told me they were spot lights. At the time they were non committal about them making it into the final vehicle. However, I noticed them on the trucks being delivered. I figured it was only a matter of time till they activated them.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I took this picture in Austin in April of 2021 and the employee with the truck was the one that told me they were spot lights. At the time they were non committal about them making it into the final vehicle. However, I noticed them on the trucks being delivered. I figured it was only a matter of time till they activated them.
I thought of your post when I saw these little floodlights mentioned!!

RJ Scaringe himself(or whoever keeps his social media stuff under control) conformed this is what those little lights do to me on Instagram (Before they posted the website feature).

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

yessir! Now if only they will let you us turn them on while driving...would be great ditch lights, i would think.
If they do, I imagine it will only be in Rock Crawl mode or similar "absolutely do not use on roads" drive modes.

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

I seem to recall some versions of the Toyota FJ Cruiser had round lights on the side mirrors. I think they were white but they were pretty dim IIRC.

I would love to see how bright the R1 floodlights are. It would be great if they could be used while in off-road and not on a paved road per navigation.
Yes those on the FJ were merely marker lights meant more to be seen and for styling rather than to help you see anything.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes those on the FJ were merely marker lights meant more to be seen and for styling rather than to help you see anything.
Dim enough to not be subject to rules for auxiliary lighting

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you have a link, I'd like to forward it to a friend. I didn't find anything on the NHTSA site. Thanks!
There are SAE/DOT ECE light bars more commonly available now.

apparemtly it costs money to view FMVSS now.

https://www.truck-lite.com/media/wysiwyg/NORTH-AMERICAN-STANDARDS-AND-SPECIFICATIONS.pdf

basically if you have a light bar etc that is brighter than main headlights(I.e. impedes their function)…it has to be covered.

also read my signature for more information

Last edited:

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
My R1T keeps getting better and better. :involve:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Haven't actually seen a progress display for the download before. Can't wait to apply it!
Rivian R1T R1S SOFTWARE SPOTLIGHT: CAMP MODE 🏕 PXL_20220902_235720553

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Haven't actually seen a progress display for the download before. Can't wait to apply it!
PXL_20220902_235720553.jpg
It's been there for the last few updates.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
Do the doors lock while in camp mode? Wondering if you sleep inside of a R1S if you can have locked doors for security or even better, some sort of Gear Guard notifications...
Sponsored