Sponsored

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks for sharing. This is going on my list of mods.

nick

First Name
Kimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I did something similar in our R1S using fuse taps. I was going to use a surface mount like the OP, but realized that I could drill holes in the console organizer I bought from Amazon.

Console Organizer
USB Plugs
12V Outlet

20240103_180703.jpg

20240103_180654.jpg
Really cool idea. How stable are the outlets? Do they move around at all when you plug stuff in?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Really cool idea. How stable are the outlets? Do they move around at all when you plug stuff in?
The material on the divider is soft so I cut up a thin plastic cutting board and glued it to the backside to stiffin it up.

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

Now that I have irritated the grammarians…

The good news - I got my R1S a year ahead of schedule. The bad news - they took away the 12 volt outlets in the dash and the frunk. (I do hope it was a supply chain issue and not a cost cutting attempt or utility decision, lest we question the validity of their future decisions.)

IMG_6701.JPG

I decided that i really didn’t need an outlet in the frunk for any immediate purpose. Consequently, I opted for two 12 volt outlets under the dash where I am going to need them. Hence, more better.

Amazon has a variety of options. Many may be delivered in a Rivian van.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 5.26.14 PM.png

The fuse panel is in the most UN-user friendly location possible.

There are two driver-side panel covers - one just behind and the other to the right of the knee airbag. Each has a #25 torx screw and really tight straight insertion clips.

The center panel is accessed by removing the portable speaker, pulling up the rubber mat, and popping open the panel with a plastic pry tool. (Really tight clips here too.)

I used the 20 amp fuse locations of F46, 12 volt port one and F51, 12 volt port two. Other folks have explored that uncharted territory and documented the fuse layout in other posts.

IMG_6678.JPG

I couldn’t find a pigtail adapter with connectors that held snuggly. I didn’t want them becoming disconnected on a bumpy road. Consequently, I went with standard spade connectors with the positive line and put the fuses in the outlet housing. Fuse access will be much easier in the future. I do NOT want to crawl under there again!

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

For the ground terminals, I found a pre-drilled hole in the top of the metal frame at the right of the center panel. A #12 self-drilling hex head screw threaded perfectly tight.

IMG_6693.JPG

The mounting spot for the socket assembly is just above the rubber mat edge.

IMG_6751.JPG

Now I can plug in a satellite based GPS and a communications transceiver when I want to adventure out of the soccer-mom parking lot.

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6751.JPG
Rivian seems to have an attitude of “ this is our truck on loan to you so do nothing to it. I have asked many times about the coolant used in the battery cooling system after I found the reservoir under a trim piece and it seemed low. They won’t say.
Sponsored