First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Now that I have irritated the grammarians…

The good news - I got my R1S a year ahead of schedule. The bad news - they took away the 12 volt outlets in the dash and the frunk. (I do hope it was a supply chain issue and not a cost cutting attempt or utility decision, lest we question the validity of their future decisions.)

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6701.JPG

I decided that i really didn’t need an outlet in the frunk for any immediate purpose. Consequently, I opted for two 12 volt outlets under the dash where I am going to need them. Hence, more better.

Amazon has a variety of options. Many may be delivered in a Rivian van.

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 5.26.14 PM

The fuse panel is in the most UN-user friendly location possible.

There are two driver-side panel covers - one just behind and the other to the right of the knee airbag. Each has a #25 torx screw and really tight straight insertion clips.

The center panel is accessed by removing the portable speaker, pulling up the rubber mat, and popping open the panel with a plastic pry tool. (Really tight clips here too.)

I used the 20 amp fuse locations of F46, 12 volt port one and F51, 12 volt port two. Other folks have explored that uncharted territory and documented the fuse layout in other posts.

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6678.JPG

I couldn’t find a pigtail adapter with connectors that held snuggly. I didn’t want them becoming disconnected on a bumpy road. Consequently, I went with standard spade connectors with the positive line and put the fuses in the outlet housing. Fuse access will be much easier in the future. I do NOT want to crawl under there again!

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6747.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6749.JPG

For the ground terminals, I found a pre-drilled hole in the top of the metal frame at the right of the center panel. A #12 self-drilling hex head screw threaded perfectly tight.

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6693.JPG

The mounting spot for the socket assembly is just above the rubber mat edge.

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6751.JPG

Now I can plug in a satellite based GPS and a communications transceiver when I want to adventure out of the soccer-mom parking lot.

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6701.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Socket "two" me - more better: installed 12 volt outlets under the dash IMG_6751.JPG
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Now I can plug in a satellite based GPS
Nice write-up and documentation! Thanks for sharing it. I'd be idly curious to see your rig when you have it plugged in. This is a dumb question, but aren't all GPS's "satellite based"?

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Now I can plug in a satellite based GPS and a communications transceiver when I want to adventure out of the soccer-mom parking lot.
I am one of the lucky ones that has a 12v in both the frunk and under the dash. I was just about to ask what you were actually going to plug into these, as I literally have never used either of them. I stand educated!

OP
OP
Joules Burn

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Nice write-up and documentation! Thanks for sharing it. I'd be idly curious to see your rig when you have it plugged in. This is a dumb question, but aren't all GPS's "satellite based"?
I've noticed that most vehicle GPS operates on cell coverage - which can go away. Also, the Garmin system has served me better on many occasions.

Sponsored

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
That's a pretty sweet install. Didn't know those 20AMP fuses were for the 12V ports. Question, do they power down when you shut the car / when it goes to sleep or do they stay on?

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I've noticed that most vehicle GPS operates on cell coverage - which can go away. Also, the Garmin system has served me better on many occasions.
Nice install! To expand, the GPS coordinates come from a satellite, but yeah, the maps data to show what's there can be saved locally or coming in over a cell connection. I think Rivian's maps are not loaded over cell connection, though (just based on experience)?

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Nice work! This is what I used. I only needed it to run my screen for my travel trailer rear camera.

OBD2 to 12v Outlet:

https://amzn.to/45scSEF
I run my trailer camera through the rear tunnel pass through and mount to the rear window. When you invert the image you can look at what's behind your RV by looking in your rear view mirror. It's been awesome for me and I prefer it to a windshield mount.

OP
OP
Joules Burn

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electronics
That's a pretty sweet install. Didn't know those 20AMP fuses were for the 12V ports. Question, do they power down when you shut the car / when it goes to sleep or do they stay on?
Both of those locations are "always on".

OP
OP
Joules Burn

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Nice install! To expand, the GPS coordinates come from a satellite, but yeah, the maps data to show what's there can be saved locally or coming in over a cell connection. I think Rivian's maps are not loaded over cell connection, though (just based on experience)?
I'm still trying to determine if Rivian is cell of satellite but the Garmin DriveSmart is a very reliable satellite based system with free lifetime updates. It can tether with your cell phone for traffic info as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joules Burn

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electronics
My Mach E was cell based and would disappear frequently.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Only issue is that the fuses are there to protect the wiring, in your case, that is not the case. The fuses should go near the fuse block not near the actual receptacles. If there is a short in the wiring, the fuses won't blow.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Anyone know of a low profile (short) single surface mount socket that could fit in the original factory location? I only wish to install a single socket, using a add-a-circuit fuse tap to one of the two fuses OP indicated. Maybe even one that has a cover to look as stock as possible?

Ingo B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Word Slinger
Now that I have irritated the grammarians…

The good news - I got my R1S a year ahead of schedule. The bad news - they took away the 12 volt outlets in the dash and the frunk. (I do hope it was a supply chain issue and not a cost cutting attempt or utility decision, lest we question the validity of their future decisions.)

IMG_6701.JPG

I decided that i really didn’t need an outlet in the frunk for any immediate purpose. Consequently, I opted for two 12 volt outlets under the dash where I am going to need them. Hence, more better.

Amazon has a variety of options. Many may be delivered in a Rivian van.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 5.26.14 PM.png

The fuse panel is in the most UN-user friendly location possible.

There are two driver-side panel covers - one just behind and the other to the right of the knee airbag. Each has a #25 torx screw and really tight straight insertion clips.

The center panel is accessed by removing the portable speaker, pulling up the rubber mat, and popping open the panel with a plastic pry tool. (Really tight clips here too.)

I used the 20 amp fuse locations of F46, 12 volt port one and F51, 12 volt port two. Other folks have explored that uncharted territory and documented the fuse layout in other posts.

IMG_6678.JPG

I couldn’t find a pigtail adapter with connectors that held snuggly. I didn’t want them becoming disconnected on a bumpy road. Consequently, I went with standard spade connectors with the positive line and put the fuses in the outlet housing. Fuse access will be much easier in the future. I do NOT want to crawl under there again!

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

For the ground terminals, I found a pre-drilled hole in the top of the metal frame at the right of the center panel. A #12 self-drilling hex head screw threaded perfectly tight.

IMG_6693.JPG

The mounting spot for the socket assembly is just above the rubber mat edge.

IMG_6751.JPG

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6751.JPG
Nice write up, and great idea. Assuming the outlets are held by screws directly into panel without anchors of any sort, I'd be interested in seeing how it holds up to shearing caused by inserting/removing plugs. I suppose it'd be fine if you're 1) gentle and/or 2) don't plug/unplug often?

I dig your user name. Clever.
Sponsored