Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Hi all,

I moved from a high rise with a fixed rate (.25/kwh) personal EV charger to a house a couple months ago. I’ve been so busy with work/travel I haven’t really looked into anything too much yet. The electric plan I’m on (which was the only one available to me in south OC at sign up) is .41/kwh. I can charge at the Tesla supercharger nearest me for significantly less than that. I have solar panels, but I’m still in the waiting period before that kicks in (still really don’t know how that works either, I’m awful). Just curious if anyone more informed than me has any suggestions for the best electric plans/charging setups in OC.

Thanks!
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

I have solar and NEM 1 with TOU for EV on SDGE. My super off peak is 0.055 cents per KWH with SDGE. This is 12am- 6am. I am averaging about $2 per day for charging the Rivian.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have a similar set up in Riverside County. Solar panels, EV, TOU rate schedule.
there’s no one size fits all answer to your question as it really depends on how much power is generated from your panels and what your house demand is during various parts of the day, and whether you have batteries on the house.

For me, I only charge my Rivian during 10 AM to 3:30 PM. This is when my solar panels are generating the most, and I generally am still feeding back excess to the grid even while charging. But this really depends on how many panels you have and how much they produce.
It also depends on how your electric company calculates your net consumption. Are they netting over the day the week the year? I don’t know if my electric company (SCE) is different than SDGE.

you need to fully understand the different rates for the time of day and how much you consume. Depending on the manufacturer of your solar system, they might provide a nice graph to see your production consumption balance, the Tesla solar system is the nicest.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

OP
OP
KRG

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I apologize for not responding sooner, I thought I had. I was able to change the plan to TOU 5 and the panels are set up now so all is well on the charging front. Thank you all for the replies!!
Sponsored