Sponsored

So my R1T was keyed on Monday night... and I got it on Gear Guard

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I hope Denver cops are better than Kirkland cops. Someone shot(not threw) an egg on my driver door on the freeway. Called cops, they said can't do anything. This was during early covid months. It flaked off all the paint down to primer.
Sponsored

CotoR1TDude

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

He's on his way to his crash pad under the freeway, looking for his Thermus. People suck. I'm going to build an underground bunker in the bed of my truck.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I didn't even realize my truck was keyed until I took it in for the recall just a bit ago. I stepped out and saw a big scratch. Looked at the video and BAM! Clear as day.

I went to dinner 2 nights ago (Urban Farmer, epic steakhouse). The guy keyed the Mazda behind me and the Audi in front of me just 9 minutes before I left the restaurant. I'm just ordered a USB-C drive and will download the video to give to local Denver PD. If other people reported that night, this video will be pretty useful. Time, place/location, clear description/view of the perp.

Hopefully they catch the guy! And thank the Rivian godz for Gear Guard working that day!

Once I download the video, I'll attach it for good measure. For now though, I'll have to schedule an appointment to get the scratch fixed... *sigh*
That sucks!

I'm going to rewrite a sentence for you:
From "Hopefully they catch the guy!"
To "Hopefully they catch the asshole!"

There's too many assholes in the world.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
What a d*ck...hope most of the scratch can be buffed out without needing a repaint.

Sponsored

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Glad you got it on video and sorry it happened to you. People suck. I'm paranoid about this happening so made sure to put a low deductible on my comprehensive insurance. Side note - do we think the police actually investigate these cases? Either way, good to have it documented and the video for your insurance claim.
Unfortunately they probably won’t do anything about it. I had 4k dashcam footage of a guy running a stop sign in front of me. I pulled out behind him and the camera caught him fly through another stop sign around a corner barely missing a jogger. I followed him to a red light where he had to stop and you could see everything clear as could be since it was around noon on a sunny day. I took the footage down to the local PD and thought there was absolutely no reason to not go after him. The police officer assigned to the case flat out told me there was nothing they could do. They would have to either catch the person in the act or it would have to be caught on a police camera….

Too many bored careless waste of space dirtbags in the world today. OP, I really hope that officer pursues it and is able to get a good clear face shot from a traffic cam to nail that lowlife D-bag.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all.

Agreed. For now though, I put Every.Single.Detail. of the guy in the police report I just finished submitting. If they need video, I can happily provide with my soon-to-be-mine USB-C thumb drive. Why can't we just upload to S3 or something instead of buying a silly thumb drive?! Honestly I haven't owned one in like 5+ years.
Police won’t/can’t do much of anything, these days. “Defunded,” unstaffed and disliked by “the movement” against policing, jails, penalties, law and order. Sad, but true in most states these days.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
UPDATE: Yeah, the vid shows a homeless man. This is not EV-targeted vandalism, just random.
--------------------------------------------------------

You guys think of this as being a random, hateful, jealous, 'people suck' kind of thing by some moron who didn't know what a Rivian is? It's clearly a target (by some moron) towards EVs. $30K Chevy Bolts get the same treatment as do 12-year-old beat up Nissan Leafs.

It's inevitable when the leadership overtly brags about subsidies which, if we're being honest is the diversion of ICE owners' tax dollars toward people who can afford $79,999.99 EVs. Instead, They should have spent all that money on EV charging stations and battery tech and called it 'infrastructure' (and it wouldn't actually be a deceptive euphemism!). Instead, pitting one group against another causes political anger, and political anger results in vandalism against the 'other side'.

I hope the OP got a tax credit to offset his comprehensive deductible. Others' increased premiums will cover the rest. Careful where you park is the lesson here. Yet one more thing to worry about with EV ownership.

p.s: I'm absolutely positively going to love my euphemistic 'inflation reduction act' EV tax credit.

Last edited:

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's clearly a target (by some moron) towards EVs. $30K Chevy Bolts get the same treatment as do 12-year-old beat up Nissan Leafs.
Right…I’m sure this guy who lives under a bridge recognized the Rivian and is upset that his tax dollars are funding EV credits. 🤨

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is crap - just no reason for it. I am sorry this happened to your truck!

Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

You guys think of this as being a random, hateful, jealous, 'people suck' kind of thing by some moron who didn't know what a Rivian is? It's clearly a target (by some moron) towards EVs. $30K Chevy Bolts get the same treatment as do 12-year-old beat up Nissan Leafs.

It's inevitable when the leadership overtly brags about subsidies which, if we're being honest is the diversion of ICE owners' tax dollars toward people who can afford $79,999.99 EVs. Instead, They should have spent all that money on EV charging stations and battery tech and called it 'infrastructure' (and it wouldn't actually be a deceptive euphemism!). Instead, pitting one group against another causes political anger, and political anger results in vandalism against the 'other side'.

I hope the OP got a tax credit to offset his comprehensive deductible. Others' increased premiums will cover the rest. Careful where you park is the lesson here. Yet one more thing to worry about with EV ownership.

p.s: I'm absolutely positively going to love my 'inflation reduction act' EV tax credit.
He keyed a Mazda, Audi and Rivian. Highly unlikely that either are EV's And the Rivian is so rare, it is unlikely that the perp knew it was an EV. This is simply the action of a Sociopath getting their thrill by being able to exert power and control over someone else. If I'm OP, I'd be tempted to post the video on every social media platform and send to the local news. That is probably the best way to get the person identified and build enough attention to have something done about it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

p.s: I'm absolutely positively going to love my euphemistic 'inflation reduction act' EV tax credit.
Sure, that happens. Is that what happened here? I'd say it's extremely unlikely the Mazda behind the Rivian and was keyed first was an EV (perhaps the OP will confirm if the Mazda and Audi were EVs). More likely this guy who was clearly dragging a load of bags down the street was simply pissed at the people parked in "his" parking space which inconvenienced him by forcing him to lug his bags further from car to door.

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
He keyed a Mazda, Audi and Rivian. Highly unlikely that either are EV's And the Rivian is so rare, it is unlikely that the perp knew it was an EV. This is simply the action of a Sociopath getting their thrill by being able to exert power and control over someone else. If I'm OP, I'd be tempted to post the video on every social media platform and send to the local news. That is probably the best way to get the person identified and build enough attention to have something done about it.
Agreed. The video does show a homeless man, though at first glance I thought he just flew in from New Jersey.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management

Whether or not this was targeting EV's or not there are plenty of cases where EV's are clearly targeted. I also agree that EV tax credits are certainly not the biggest bang for your buck to speed adoption. In my opinion just as many people are turned off by the incentive as actually incentivized because the thought is "if they are so great then why do they need huge subsidies".
For the OP sorry you had an encounter with this jerk hope your repair goes well.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Alternate solution:

Track him down yourself and key him.
Sponsored