So I Cancelled My Reservation

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Good questions. There's about a $10k dealer ADM on the mannequin, but that's before the recent price increase. The biggest difference was the V2H capability of the Ford. I love the look and off-road/sporty utility of the Rivian, but it would be far less used than the back up generator capability.
I hope that you enjoy your Ford. I think it’s a great option.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
What the hell is an F150 Lightning “mannequin”? I thought maybe it was a typo, it’s been mentioned multiple times in this thread.
No idea. I'm sure it was a bad autocorrect. Maybe Lariat? who knows. He paid $10k over for a Lightning and gave Rivian $100. That seems to be the summary.

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

Good questions. There's about a $10k dealer ADM on the mannequin, but that's before the recent price increase. The biggest difference was the V2H capability of the Ford. I love the look and off-road/sporty utility of the Rivian, but it would be far less used than the back up generator capability. I look forward to Rivian coming out with the Max Pack and V2H software (as it is already equipped with the hardware).

Another point is that I live in Louisiana, which is currently about a couple hundred miles from the nearest Rivian service center. After living with the Tesla for a couple years without one (there is now an SC in NOLA), it was a pain to live with the rattles and squeaks of an early adoption vehicle. Also my location would've put me even further away from getting selected to order a Rivian.
Thanks, sounds like that makes sense for you. I guess the V2H capability is a big deal in hurricane-prone areas or places that otherwise have more frequent power outages. Sounds like a reasonable deal on the ford too, assuming you still get the tax credit and avoid the price increase. Although I hate the idea of paying 10K over MSRP and this is all making the Rivian with pre-march pricing and a supposedly locked-in $7500 credit look like a better deal with every passing day! We seem to have a pretty stable power grid here so V2H isn't a big concern for us.

I'm kind of pissed at Ford also as we have a lightning reservation and have heard pretty much zero from Ford about it and the dealers are even less helpful.

Last edited:

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

No idea. I'm sure it was a bad autocorrect. Maybe Lariat? who knows. He paid $10k over for a Lightning and gave Rivian $100. That seems to be the summary.
Mannequin is Ford's word for a fully functional truck that the dealer is given to show but is not allowed to sell for a certain period of time. They are apparently (pre-)selling them anyway but leaving them on the floor till the time is up. So everybody loses!

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Mannequin is Ford's word for a fully functional truck that the dealer is given to show but is not allowed to sell for a certain period of time. They are apparently (pre-)selling them anyway but leaving them on the floor till the time is up. So everybody loses!
oh that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clarifying. I forgot that dealers would do that.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I also have an incoming 2022 XLT Lightning. It has the Standard Range battery pack (230 miles) and should be here in a couple of weeks. All of the reviewers rave about the truck.

My Ford dealership sells all custom ordered Lightnings and Bronco’s at MSRP. The Raptor is an exception because of the very tight Ford allocations. They sell Raptor’s at $10k over sticker.

I also have a 2/21 Rivian R1T reservation. The bottom line is that it’s going to come down to parking. If the Lightning is too wide for my attached carport it will be sold and I will continue to wait for my R1T.

Last edited:

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
So I cancelled my reservation from April this year after a brief chat with CS. I was offered a great deal at my local Ford dealer on an F150 Lightning mannequin to reserve until January. Long story short, if you cancel your deposit after signing the recent Buyer’s Agreement then you are refunded $900 of your deposit 5-10 days after cancellation. I hope this helps others in similar situations and I hope my next truck is a Rivian after this one!

The sale of any F-150 Lightning FCTP Mannequin unit to a final customer prior to meeting all in-service requirements will result in a penalty of $25,000, unless the FCTP Mannequin unit can be replaced with another F-150 Lightning within 90 days. It will also result in the unit being ineligible for any retail bonus cash incentives and chargeback of any FCTP 3-60/90/120 Day incentives and will result in dealer ineligibility for future FCTP Mannequin programs.

OP
OP

Tbrou16

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder 4/22, Tesla Model 3 Performance
The sale of any F-150 Lightning FCTP Mannequin unit to a final customer prior to meeting all in-service requirements will result in a penalty of $25,000, unless the FCTP Mannequin unit can be replaced with another F-150 Lightning within 90 days. It will also result in the unit being ineligible for any retail bonus cash incentives and chargeback of any FCTP 3-60/90/120 Day incentives and will result in dealer ineligibility for future FCTP Mannequin programs.
That is if the sale is made before the 6 month no-sale period. I did ask about that

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Its hard to think of a more ‘auto dealer’ thing to do, lol.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

So I cancelled my reservation from April this year after a brief chat with CS. I was offered a great deal at my local Ford dealer on an F150 Lightning mannequin to reserve until January. Long story short, if you cancel your deposit after signing the recent Buyer’s Agreement then you are refunded $900 of your deposit 5-10 days after cancellation. I hope this helps others in similar situations and I hope my next truck is a Rivian after this one!
I am not an expert but doesn’t your house also need to have mods to enable V2H?

I really like the size of the R1T, beefy but not big. Fits very nicely in our garage.

I think if it were me I would have kept the R1T reservation as backup but with am April reservation it will be quite a long time before you would get your R1T.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I am not an expert but doesn’t your house also need to have mods to enable V2H?
Yes, you’d need a transfer switch and you must ensure your home disconnects from the grid so you don’t back-feed power which could kill a linesman who is working. Also, most peoples homes have too much load even for the f150 lightning to supply it all…. So you’d need to segregate your panel and determine which breakers will be supplied by the V2H and which won’t. This is all pretty standard with whole-home generators…. But it is above and beyond what the typical home has. So buying the V2H-capable vehicle is only the first step. Most people would need to spend probably a few grand to retrofit their home side of the electrical equation.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Yes, you’d need a transfer switch and you must ensure your home disconnects from the grid so you don’t back-feed power which could kill a linesman who is working. Also, most peoples homes have too much load even for the f150 lightning to supply it all…. So you’d need to segregate your panel and determine which breakers will be supplied by the V2H and which won’t. This is all pretty standard with whole-home generators…. But it is above and beyond what the typical home has. So buying the V2H-capable vehicle is only the first step. Most people would need to spend probably a few grand to retrofit their home side of the electrical equation.
Thank you.

In a pinch couldn’t a few key appliances be run simply by using an extension cord or two from the R1T. Sparingly of course. Fridge, router, charging for cell phones stuff.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Personally, I would have kept the R1T reservation and evaluated the market when delivery was close to happening. You were going to be out the $100 anyway, why not play out your hand?

If the R1T is widely available and prices have come down on the secondary market, no harm done.

But if there is still a tight supply and very high demand (not unlikely) you could have flipped it for a profit to offset your LIghtening cost.

Also, dealers that sell vehicles over MSRP, or that play games with priorities and expect you to pay to get a better place in line will burn in hell for all of eternity.

The important thing is, I'm feeling much better now.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thank you.

In a pinch couldn’t a few key appliances be run simply by using an extension cord or two from the R1T. Sparingly of course. Fridge, router, charging for cell phones stuff.
Yes.

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I had wondered about the F150 Manny Quinn edition myself.

During hurricane season, I’ve had my power out for a week. It would indeed be a comfort to have an outlet for the fridge.
Sponsored