trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

Hi All. Sorry to start a new topic, but what I've seen posted or found via search is all still speculation. I've also contacted Rivian Chat and gotten the same non-answers. I'm wondering what everyone thinks will happen with this? I know some could care less about SiriusXM integration, and to each their own. However, I'm thinking about the marketing of these EVs as "adventure vehicles." With adventure vehicles, one will find themselves in the middle of nowhere quite often. With that comes limited cell service and streaming apps no longer work. I can't imagine that Rivian has not thought about this, but it seems like SiriusXM is not guaranteed. I know there have been posts about what looks like a satellite radio antenna on recent photos, but Rivan Chat members still say nothing definite. Anyone have any thoughts on why?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I can't imagine the Meridian receiver wouldn't support SiriusXM unless Rivian intentionally didn't want to support which would seem unlikely. Perhaps they are trying to iron out the details of a free trial offer (ie, how long if at all) before they announce anything?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I thought I saw the XM 'Shark' antenna on a few recent Rivian pictures??

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I thought I saw the XM 'Shark' antenna on a few recent Rivian pictures??
So far there has been no acknowledgement of satellite radio support even though many of us have asked. The shark fin could simply be for cellular, gps and/or AM/FM, all of which we know the Rivian will have.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
That's why I keep hard copies of all my CDs... no disk player, crap.
You make a good point trmaier, I've had XM since 2003 so I hope it makes it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
trmaier

trmaier

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro Hybrid, R1T El Cap, BM
Clubs

I can't imagine the Meridian receiver wouldn't support SiriusXM unless Rivian intentionally didn't want to support which would seem unlikely. Perhaps they are trying to iron out the details of a free trial offer (ie, how long if at all) before they announce anything?
Let's hope that is the case. I can't imagine Rivian not wanting to support SiriusXM either, given the likelihood of their vehicles being out of cell service range. What puzzles me is why Rivian support can not tell us anything concrete given they are 2-3 months away from delivery of their first vehicles. They have to already have the hardware integrated into the Rivian for SXM, otherwise it's not happening. I guess at the very least, we'll know when they start shipping! ?

JDMD

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physician
Let's hope that is the case. I can't imagine Rivian not wanting to support SiriusXM either, given the likelihood of their vehicles being out of cell service range. What puzzles me is why Rivian support can not tell us anything concrete given they are 2-3 months away from delivery of their first vehicles. They have to already have the hardware integrated into the Rivian for SXM, otherwise it's not happening. I guess at the very least, we'll know when they start shipping! ?
Having seen this thread and having the same question re: SiriusXM, I chatted with a rep today, about one month since the last reply here. Unfortunately, it's the same vague answer about having a FM receiver, but no specs re: apps or SiriusXM capability. Oh well. I agree that at this point we're 4-6 weeks from deliveries, right? We should know these specs by now.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
Having seen this thread and having the same question re: SiriusXM, I chatted with a rep today, about one month since the last reply here. Unfortunately, it's the same vague answer about having a FM receiver, but no specs re: apps or SiriusXM capability. Oh well. I agree that at this point we're 4-6 weeks from deliveries, right? We should know these specs by now.
It is bordering on the ridiculous the we can't get a straight answer to this question. They either have the hardware built in or they don't. If the hardware is there then they either have an agreement with SiriusXM, are still negotiating, or are not going to enable the hardware. I know suspense is the play book but this is getting old in a hurry.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Someone posted a shot of the main screen playing a radio station with a cover image that is exclusive to Spotify so we know that will be there. Hard to imagine a car without Sirius nowadays.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Can anyone explain to me why SiriusXM is so important in 2021?

I understand that it was unique back in the early-to-mid 2000's, when road warriors wanted to have music/news/sports in between cities and without having to find different stations in every location.

But now that we have reliable cell coverage, fast mobile data speeds, and bluetooth streaming audio, it's better to stream. Sound quality is much better too! Music over XM sounds absolutely awful; hugely over-compressed.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

I understand that it was unique back in the early-to-mid 2000's, when road warriors wanted to have music/news/sports in between cities and without having to find different stations in every location.

But now that we have reliable cell coverage, fast mobile data speeds, and bluetooth streaming audio, it's better to stream. Sound quality is much better too! Music over XM sounds absolutely awful; hugely over-compressed.
I got it for free when I bought my Camaro, but never use it. Living in the PNW, I find that trees, mountains, and even big trucks interrupt the signal. I think Spotify and/or Amazon Music will cover 99% of the desired content.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Cell reception in mountains is still regularly pretty spotty even in parts of North GA, Western NC, East TN, etc. I'm sure it's even worse in the Rockies.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Teslas don’t have Sirius/XM. It’s all streaming which, yes, might be an issue out on a fire road somewhere when you lose connectivity. Then I’d just switch to my phone library til back within coverage.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

I just finished a 24 day, 4800 mile road trip thru the southwest in my Sprinter. Having XM was great as there are a ton of places with no cell coverage. Having music, comedy and news everywhere I travelled made the trip so much better.
I sure hope the R1T has XM radio!

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, FE, Off-Road, 20", VW Altrack
Occupation
Consultant
XM radio drops out here on New England due the tree canopy over may secondary roads. I long ago started loading tunes, podcasts etc onto a phone to use for both local and long trips in the car, airplay, rental car. I already pay a premium for this service for off line/no wifi service. As long as I can easily use this phone media source in the Rivian (and local radio) I'm fine.
Sponsored