Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ram 1500 Limited, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
All,

I know CarPlay of course is not supported. But with many vehicles where it is also not supported or prior to CarPlay, you could invoke Siri through the steering wheel etc..

Does this exist? Do we have Siri support at least?

Also does the system require a Bluetooth question for music and contacts or can that also be available while plugged in? Or are the USB C plugs strictly for charging and no data is passed?

I would rather have my phone plugged in for the music and calls etc rather than crappy Bluetooth
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Bluetooth required. No phone data over USB.

OP
OP

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oh man that is giant crapy horse SHITE. Thatā€™s like 1980ā€™s tech, come on!

OP
OP

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is Siri supported though?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Um, do you even remember the 80's? Having Bluetooth or even USB would have been like crazy advanced alien technology back then.
Haha yeah yeah, figure of speech, old tech and although they donā€™t support CarPlay at least support data over USB and Siri from my own freaking phone thatā€™s plugged in. Ugh

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I see this as no big deal. They built in the hardware capability already for data over the center console USB, and software support for playing music over that etc. is bound to come at some point. We have seen them roll out many new software features in just the past 6 months that use already-existing hardware. Remember Rivian is a new company with a vehicle built from the ground up. This is an enormous amount of work, and creating a new successful auto company is something that has rarely been done in the past 50 years. In light of this, features that can be added by OTA software updates are much lower priority than most everything else. It was much more important to get the hardware capability in place first, because that can't be changed OTA.

OP
OP

Blakeney

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah I get it and I know. My R1S comes next week but we are IOS users and although no CarPlay and to promote safe driving I do/would not like to have to pick k up my phone while driving and search for Apple Music stations and songs etc.. assuming we canā€™t do that from the screen and is just going to show song playing, skip etc.. basic functionalities.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah I get it and I know. My R1S comes next week but we are IOS users and although no CarPlay and to promote safe driving I do/would not like to have to pick k up my phone while driving and search for Apple Music stations and songs etc.. assuming we canā€™t do that from the screen and is just going to show song playing, skip etc.. basic functionalities.
You can yell at Siri just fine over Bluetooth šŸ˜¬

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

and to promote safe driving I do/would not like to have to pick k up my phone while driving and search for Apple Music stations and songs etc..
Guess you won't be driving safely then.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
The lack of phone integration is by far my biggest complaint with my R1T. After owning it 6 months and patiently waiting for things like text message integration, itā€™s becoming more and more frustrating every update that gets pushed that it isnā€™t present. We donā€™t even know if Rivian is working on it, or if itā€™s slated to come in the next 12 months.

But yes, thereā€™s no way to trigger Siri unless you have hey siri setup which I do not.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
You can yell at Siri just fine over Bluetooth šŸ˜¬
...except that with iOS 16 now you say "Hey Siri, how much is a kilogram of gold worth?" and Siri says, "I'm sorry, but I cannot search the web on iPhone". WTF? Yes you can, you do it all the time.

Turns out if Siri thinks it's connected to a car, now it won't perform web searches. (Why? No idea.) I've seen it reported that this can be fixed by changing the Bluetooth device from "Car Stereo" to something else...but in my one test doing that with "Rivian Audio" (while in the car) it did not solve the problem.
Sponsored