First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX5, Mazda MX5, KIA Niro PHEV, GMC Sonoma PU
Occupation
CPA
Can the RT1 raise/lower individual wheels? I will be using a I-Kamper Mini either on the roof or bed of the RT1 and it would be handy to have this feature rather than using individual levelling blocks.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Not sure it will go quite that far, but they do have this on their website:

https://rivian.com/support/article/do-rivian-vehicles-have-independent-air-suspension

Independent air suspension allows for 6.5 inches of vertical travel ā€” as low as 7.9 inches or as high as 14.4 inches ā€” to optimize your vehicleā€™s ride height for improved handling, comfort, aerodynamics and stability with varying payloads. Automatic ride-height leveling also balances your vehicle for better handling when towing heavy loads.

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Not sure it will go quite that far, but they do have this on their website:

https://rivian.com/support/article/do-rivian-vehicles-have-independent-air-suspension
Do we know if this is a closed air suspension system? My GC Trailhawk uses one, so I was curious if we know how these Rivian's will be set up? #shotinthedark

FYI: There are two types of air spring systems: open and closed. In an open system, outside air travels to the air spring and is released from the air spring when no longer needed. This system may or may not include a reservoir for the air to travel through before it reaches the air spring. In a closed system, the outside air travels through a reservoir to the air spring and is released back to the reservoir when no longer needed.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Do we know if this is a closed air suspension system?
We do not have that information but my guess is it will most likely be a closed system.

EDIT: however, if Rivian is using the Dunlop ECAS on the R1 and not just on the Amazon vans then the description of their standard system is that it vents to atmosphere so who knows. I wouldn't think that would be the level of refinement Rivian would want to offer in the R1 so I still think it will be a closed system. Perhaps a customized Dunlop solution or perhaps not even a Dunlop solution at all. we really just don't know any details about the suspension implementation.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do we know if this is a closed air suspension system? My GC Trailhawk uses one, so I was curious if we know how these Rivian's will be set up? #shotinthedark

FYI: There are two types of air spring systems: open and closed. In an open system, outside air travels to the air spring and is released from the air spring when no longer needed. This system may or may not include a reservoir for the air to travel through before it reaches the air spring. In a closed system, the outside air travels through a reservoir to the air spring and is released back to the reservoir when no longer needed.
Not sure on open vs closed, but there will be multiple chambers for independent control for ride height & firmness/load.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A little more info for you. We know that Dunlop Systems out of the UK will be the supplier due to this:
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/wes...secures-funding-to-support-major-contract-win

Here's some info on the ECAS system from their website:

Product Range ā€“ Electronically Controlled Air Suspension

ECAS is the trade name for Electronically Controlled Air Suspension. It is the control system that provides air to the vehicle air suspension units (Air Shocks/Struts, Bellows or Standard Air Springs) and facilitates automatic vehicle levelling and selectable ride height configurations.

We have been designing and developing ECAS systems since the 1980s. Working closely with major vehicle manufacturers, we have sold over 250,000 ECAS systems all over the world.

Our ECAS system can provide an automotive suspension system that benefits the user by:-
  • Reducing peak shock loads into the vehicle body by up to 75%
  • Reducing noise, vibration and harshness
  • Maintaining a constant ride height, so providing increased stability
  • Increasing the axle strokes on a laden vehicle
  • Automatically lowering and raising the vehicle
  • Improving ride quality due to reduced variation in ride frequency between laden and unladen conditions
  • Providing manually selectable vehicle height changes
We work closely with both large vehicle manufacturers and smaller customers, using a modular system developed for the air suspension vehicle conversion market using standard parts. We now have systems available for most light commercial vehicles on the market today.

We can also provide a complete bespoke system for your application, including all pneumatic fittings and a standard wiring harness.

ECAS System Components

Air Supply Unit (ASU)

The ASU supplies clean, dry air and distributes it to the air springs. It includes the following major parts:-
  • A compressor for supply of compressed air to the air springs. The compressor assembly includes a solenoid exhaust valve to enable air released from the springs to be discharged to atmosphere
  • An electronic control unit or ECU for control of the ECAS system
  • A dryer / filter to ensure that the air supplied to the springs is clean and dry
  • Electrical solenoid valves for distribution of air to and from the springs, and to and from an air reservoir (if fitted)
Height Sensors

Height sensors are mounted between the chassis and the axle. These provide a voltage signal to the ECU that varies as the distance between the chassis and the axle varies, e.g. as happens when the vehicle is being loaded or unloaded. More precisely, the connecting rod and arm translate changes in the distance between the chassis and the axle into rotation of an electrical potentiometer inside the sensor body. As the potentiometer rotates so the output signal from it changes.

Air Suspension Units

Air Suspension Units comprise of air shocks/struts, bellows or standard air springs. These provide for a constantly low natural frequency of the vehicle body, irrespective of load, thereby providing excellent ride comfort. A full air suspension solution combines air suspension units with ECAS control for automatic levelling, ensuring that the vehicle body is suspended flexibly and kept at a constant ride height whatever the load.
Why choose our ECAS?
Constant ride height irrespective of payload

Improved ride comfort

Lowered ā€˜kneelā€™ position for loading and unloading

Selectable ride heights available

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
A little more info for you. We know that Dunlop Systems out of the UK will be the supplier due to this:
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/wes...secures-funding-to-support-major-contract-win

Here's some info on the ECAS system from their website:

Product Range ā€“ Electronically Controlled Air Suspension

ECAS is the trade name for Electronically Controlled Air Suspension. It is the control system that provides air to the vehicle air suspension units (Air Shocks/Struts, Bellows or Standard Air Springs) and facilitates automatic vehicle levelling and selectable ride height configurations.

We have been designing and developing ECAS systems since the 1980s. Working closely with major vehicle manufacturers, we have sold over 250,000 ECAS systems all over the world.

Our ECAS system can provide an automotive suspension system that benefits the user by:-
  • Reducing peak shock loads into the vehicle body by up to 75%
  • Reducing noise, vibration and harshness
  • Maintaining a constant ride height, so providing increased stability
  • Increasing the axle strokes on a laden vehicle
  • Automatically lowering and raising the vehicle
  • Improving ride quality due to reduced variation in ride frequency between laden and unladen conditions
  • Providing manually selectable vehicle height changes
We work closely with both large vehicle manufacturers and smaller customers, using a modular system developed for the air suspension vehicle conversion market using standard parts. We now have systems available for most light commercial vehicles on the market today.

We can also provide a complete bespoke system for your application, including all pneumatic fittings and a standard wiring harness.

ECAS System Components

Air Supply Unit (ASU)

The ASU supplies clean, dry air and distributes it to the air springs. It includes the following major parts:-
  • A compressor for supply of compressed air to the air springs. The compressor assembly includes a solenoid exhaust valve to enable air released from the springs to be discharged to atmosphere
  • An electronic control unit or ECU for control of the ECAS system
  • A dryer / filter to ensure that the air supplied to the springs is clean and dry
  • Electrical solenoid valves for distribution of air to and from the springs, and to and from an air reservoir (if fitted)
Height Sensors

Height sensors are mounted between the chassis and the axle. These provide a voltage signal to the ECU that varies as the distance between the chassis and the axle varies, e.g. as happens when the vehicle is being loaded or unloaded. More precisely, the connecting rod and arm translate changes in the distance between the chassis and the axle into rotation of an electrical potentiometer inside the sensor body. As the potentiometer rotates so the output signal from it changes.

Air Suspension Units

Air Suspension Units comprise of air shocks/struts, bellows or standard air springs. These provide for a constantly low natural frequency of the vehicle body, irrespective of load, thereby providing excellent ride comfort. A full air suspension solution combines air suspension units with ECAS control for automatic levelling, ensuring that the vehicle body is suspended flexibly and kept at a constant ride height whatever the load.
Why choose our ECAS?
Constant ride height irrespective of payload

Improved ride comfort

Lowered ā€˜kneelā€™ position for loading and unloading

Selectable ride heights available
Outstanding information. Thanks, Skyote!!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
One more note...their ECAS systems are reservoir optional. I noticed the text above from their website doesn't mention it, but some of their other info does (like the attached brochure).

Attachments

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
Can the RT1 raise/lower individual wheels? I will be using a I-Kamper Mini either on the roof or bed of the RT1 and it would be handy to have this feature rather than using individual levelling blocks.
I was thinking of this awhile ago and looked into it. I think Rivian would have to pay somebody to offer it. Question would be how much would it cost Rivianto license and in return what would the market support as an option Cost.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1="Air+suspension"&s2="Corner+leveling"&OS="Air+suspension"+AND+"Corner+leveling"&RS="Air+suspension"+AND+"Corner+leveling"

what I think could work easy is an option with out getting into licensing issues is for a complete dump option of the air suspension with the ability to manually add air to an individual corners via a hose from onboard air compressor, maybe a switch at each corner that will raise or lower that corner, maybe even on the center screen a menu that allows the operator to raise or lower a wheel Individually. Heck the stuff I listed above may even have a patent on those avenues that would need to be addressed by Rivian before offering.

Me personally I could justify $2000 option cost for 1 button automatic vehicle body leveling when parked. I would easily pay $500 for the option to have a manual fill valves on each corner.... already have onboard air in the adventure package so it would be easy and cheap.
Sponsored