Sponsored

Tent for R1T - how about an option to self-level the truck?

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 4Runner
After seeing RJ's post showing the R1T with the Yakima tent, I was wondering if the tent is something I'd order if given the chance. I talked it over with my wife and she pointed out that the biggest challenge would be finding a flat spot to park the car, or having to use blocks or risers to level the vehicle.

I'm wondering about the ability to raise and lower the suspension. Does anyone think it would be possible/feasible to have a "camping mode" where you could choose a setting to have the vehicle level itself while parked so you could comfortably sleep in a tent mounted over the bed? If the suspension is independent among the 4 wheels, it definitely seems possible that you could have each wheel adjust to a different height to achieve a level truck bed?

Just a daydream I was wondering about while waiting for delivery!
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
After seeing RJ's post showing the R1T with the Yakima tent, I was wondering if the tent is something I'd order if given the chance. I talked it over with my wife and she pointed out that the biggest challenge would be finding a flat spot to park the car, or having to use blocks or risers to level the vehicle.

I'm wondering about the ability to raise and lower the suspension. Does anyone think it would be possible/feasible to have a "camping mode" where you could choose a setting to have the vehicle level itself while parked so you could comfortably sleep in a tent mounted over the bed? If the suspension is independent among the 4 wheels, it definitely seems possible that you could have each wheel adjust to a different height to achieve a level truck bed?

Just a daydream I was wondering about while waiting for delivery!
I think this feature is likely.
One of the things that will be important in my decision.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Fellow daydreamer,

You are not alone in this hope. While it would make sense to have self-leveling for this and other reasons (I'm dreaming of a frunk hot-tub conversion), the extra expense and potential for one more thing that could go wrong leads me to lowered expectations of it being included.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Fellow daydreamer,

You are not alone in this hope. While it would make sense to have self-leveling for this and other reasons (I'm dreaming of a frunk hot-tub conversion), the extra expense and potential for one more thing that could go wrong leads me to lowered expectations of it being included.
It already does this while towing, so the hardware is already there. A software update /upgrade is all that would be needed.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It already does this while towing, so the hardware is already there. A software update /upgrade is all that would be needed.
Godfodder, Thanks for pointing that out. It will be nice if that upgrade is made available. Trying to sleep on a slope is annoying. Did it way too often camping as a kid. Best remedy I found is called a hotel. Boom! Problem solved. Way better food and showers, as well. Oh, yeah....and ice just down the hall! ??

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I'm wondering about the ability to raise and lower the suspension. Does anyone think it would be possible/feasible to have a "camping mode" where you could choose a setting to have the vehicle level itself while parked so you could comfortably sleep in a tent mounted over the bed?
If it does I would hope it's not limited to just the R1T as I'm sure many R1S owners will camp within the cargo area. Most references I've seen to "camping mode" is in reference to Tesla's, where minimally the HVAC and infotainment systems are available while all other systems are shut down. Adding self-leveling to that mode in the Rivian would seem to be an appropriate fit.

@WaitingInDenver have you presented this question to Rivian? At a minimum it informs Rivian what future owners are most interested in. So if that option is not there at launch it will hopefully work it's way up on their "future enhancements / features" list, not to mention you'll be getting a direct answer from Rivian. Food for thought.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I have asked the question to CS as plan on doing an RTT and a fair amount of camping with our R1T. IF this happens to not be a day 1 feature, this is a fairly easy fix with either MaxTraxx or rocks that you may find in the area. Watch any overlanding video on YT and you will see plenty of vehicle leveling once they start making camp.

On a separate note, I asked if the vehicles would at least have an inclinometer...I got my favorite Rivian answer:

"...closer to production."

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
On a separate note, I asked if the vehicles would at least have an inclinometer
Almost positive I've seen pics or videos of this already!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I find it interesting that they're almost always using the cluster in "light" mode. Is there anyone here who would actually want to use it that way?

First thing I change will be to enable "dark" mode.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I find it interesting that they're almost always using the cluster in "light" mode. Is there anyone here who would actually want to use it that way?

I prefer the look of dark mode, but think the light mode might help minimize glare in brighter conditions.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz

In general I usually use light mode during the day and dark mode at night. I'd assume it can change the mode automatically based on the light conditions

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management

I had the same thought when I got my Model 3, but... dark mode on these glossy displays is almost unusable in the daytime, especially with a glass roof. You’ll see every greasy smudgy fingerprint and lots more reflections. Being able to automatically toggle is great.

(I hope Rivian’s light-to-dark transition is smoother than Tesla’s. It’s such a lazy afterthought on the Tesla MCU - elements popping in haphazardly, map taking several seconds to redraw, etc. it would be pretty trivial to preload the transition and do a gentle fade, but Tesla doesn’t exactly have an eye for detail with things like that.)

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... dark mode on these glossy displays is almost unusable in the daytime...
Depends on the engineering and type of display, which we don't know. 1000 nit displays are not that uncommon now and are reasonably visible in sunlight.
Sponsored