Sponsored

Tent for R1T - how about an option to self-level the truck?

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

For those of us with the desire to camp on the roof or bed of our R1T/R1S, the ability to auto level will be a great feature. If not, at least having an inclinometer on the driver's display will enable a somewhat quick experience to level the vehicle for camping.
Agreed. We sleep in our 4runner quite a bit in spring/summer and it is a pain getting it level enough to sleep. Sometimes involves like a dozen turns and rocks under the wheels...
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I don't know where the debate about whether or not Tesla is the only game in town is coming from. Of course they aren't. It's just that Rivian's displays appear to be most like Tesla's in that they're glass, glossy widescreen touch displays - like a laptop or tablet. Most automotive displays are matte and/or have some kind of hood/binnacle/inset. Like Tesla, Rivian's displays are clearly highly reflective (you can see it on their site and in various real photos); this style of display does not combine well with greasy fingerprints and harsh light.

Case in point:
Rivian R1T R1S Tent for R1T - how about an option to self-level the truck? 1617750648388

I'm emphatically not worried about it - it looks great and a bright display mode solves any fingerprint concerns - but it could make an always on dark mode less pleasant. Nothing to do but wait and see. But this isn't about Tesla or not (or even anything unique to EVs), it's about the display tech.

Back to the topic at hand!

For those of us with the desire to camp on the roof or bed of our R1T/R1S, the ability to auto level will be a great feature. If not, at least having an inclinometer on the driver's display will enable a somewhat quick experience to level the vehicle for camping.
I really hope this comes to fruition - it would be a huge benefit for RTT camping (which is high on my list) and a big differentiator vs. the competition. And it would help with the camp kitchen, too!

I would still pack some maxtrax or similar since I doubt the suspension can offset more than a slight incline, but it could easily be the difference between an infuriating hunt for the perfect spot via trial and error, and a pretty easy job.

It does at least seem likely that it can be managed (and therefore added) in software, assuming there's nothing mechanical preventing the air from being adjusted at the individual wheel level. Fingers crossed.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... Like Tesla, Rivian's displays are clearly highly reflective (you can see it on their site and in various real photos); this style of display does not combine well with greasy fingerprints and harsh light.

Case in point:
1617750648388.png

Pretty sure in the Rivian that we're looking at screens that have not had the protective plastic sheet removed, hence the shinyness and fingerprintness.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
That may be part of it, though it feels a bit like wishful thinking. That said, these are glossy glass displays. There's only so much magic to work with oleophobic coatings and whatnot here. It comes down to brightness. The best strategy is to calibrate the content to the ambient light - which seems to be exactly what Rivian's press photos and website suggest they will do.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I was wondering about this, so I asked CS.
7/15/2021, 6:15:14 PM - Anthony: Looking at your question about the Rivian Tent, every Rivian with have a 4 wheel independent motor suspension that will level itself when using the Rivian tent! Automatic ride-height leveling also balances your vehicle for better handling when towing heavy loads!
------
7/15/2021, 6:16:58 PM - ME: So it can make the truck level, on a slight slope? Or it will just keep each corner the same height?
------
7/15/2021, 6:17:29 PM - ME: (i.e. don’t have to park on blocks to make it level)
------
7/15/2021, 6:19:36 PM - Anthony: Blocks will be a thing of the past! The vehicle will completely level itself with an automatic leveling feature!

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
... That said, these are glossy glass displays ...
Which makes me wonder if any type of film protector (akin to what's made for smartphones?) will address the issues of too much finger prints on the screen ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Which makes me wonder if any type of film protector (akin to what's made for smartphones?) will address the issues of too much finger prints on the screen ?
Someone should invent a cloth-like product that could be used to make fingerprints vanish. Meh, maybe in a few more years, after they cure cancer.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Someone should invent a cloth-like product that could be used to make fingerprints vanish. Meh, maybe in a few more years, after they cure cancer.
And make things too easy? C'mon. We're taking laziness factor here. Work with me here ... WURK WIF ME!! ?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Really hoping this pans out, it would be a game changer for an RTT.
Pictures support this feature being a thing.
they did explicitly say “blocks will be a thing of the past“.

Never again will a door close on its own when parked on a slope ?
Sponsored