Tent for R1T - how about an option to self-level the truck?

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicles
2002 4runner
For those of us with the desire to camp on the roof or bed of our R1T/R1S, the ability to auto level will be a great feature. If not, at least having an inclinometer on the driver's display will enable a somewhat quick experience to level the vehicle for camping.
Agreed. We sleep in our 4runner quite a bit in spring/summer and it is a pain getting it level enough to sleep. Sometimes involves like a dozen turns and rocks under the wheels...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2013 BMW F800GS, 1969 Jeep CJ5
Occupation
Software Engineering
I don't know where the debate about whether or not Tesla is the only game in town is coming from. Of course they aren't. It's just that Rivian's displays appear to be most like Tesla's in that they're glass, glossy widescreen touch displays - like a laptop or tablet. Most automotive displays are matte and/or have some kind of hood/binnacle/inset. Like Tesla, Rivian's displays are clearly highly reflective (you can see it on their site and in various real photos); this style of display does not combine well with greasy fingerprints and harsh light.

Case in point:
1617750648388.png

I'm emphatically not worried about it - it looks great and a bright display mode solves any fingerprint concerns - but it could make an always on dark mode less pleasant. Nothing to do but wait and see. But this isn't about Tesla or not (or even anything unique to EVs), it's about the display tech.

Back to the topic at hand!

For those of us with the desire to camp on the roof or bed of our R1T/R1S, the ability to auto level will be a great feature. If not, at least having an inclinometer on the driver's display will enable a somewhat quick experience to level the vehicle for camping.
I really hope this comes to fruition - it would be a huge benefit for RTT camping (which is high on my list) and a big differentiator vs. the competition. And it would help with the camp kitchen, too!

I would still pack some maxtrax or similar since I doubt the suspension can offset more than a slight incline, but it could easily be the difference between an infuriating hunt for the perfect spot via trial and error, and a pretty easy job.

It does at least seem likely that it can be managed (and therefore added) in software, assuming there's nothing mechanical preventing the air from being adjusted at the individual wheel level. Fingers crossed.

thrill

First Name
billy
Reaction score
First Name
billy
Vehicles
i3s, z4m, hp4, (r1t)
... Like Tesla, Rivian's displays are clearly highly reflective (you can see it on their site and in various real photos); this style of display does not combine well with greasy fingerprints and harsh light.

Case in point:
1617750648388.png

Pretty sure in the Rivian that we're looking at screens that have not had the protective plastic sheet removed, hence the shinyness and fingerprintness.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model Y, 2013 BMW F800GS, 1969 Jeep CJ5
Occupation
Software Engineering
That may be part of it, though it feels a bit like wishful thinking. That said, these are glossy glass displays. There's only so much magic to work with oleophobic coatings and whatnot here. It comes down to brightness. The best strategy is to calibrate the content to the ambient light - which seems to be exactly what Rivian's press photos and website suggest they will do.

Advertisement

Advertisement