Sponsored

Secure Storage?

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
By secure, I mean in case of a break in - if someone were to break the front window glass and press the door unlock button, would that then allow them to open the frunk, gear tunnel, and tailgate (the last two via the buttons on top of the bed rail)? Or will access to those be controlled via the main screen and therefore keep those areas inaccessible unless the vehicle is on?
Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
By secure, I mean in case of a break in - if someone were to break the front window glass and press the door unlock button, would that then allow them to open the frunk, gear tunnel, and tailgate (the last two via the buttons on top of the bed rail)? Or will access to those be controlled via the main screen and therefore keep those areas inaccessible unless the vehicle is on?
Everything I have ever read regarding buttons/knobs on the Rivian have leaned to the less is more approach. I am certain the opening mechanism for the frunk is in software on the screen. Likewise I would think that the exterior release buttons for the gear tunnel and the tailgate would be disabled with the vehicle locked. I don't think breaking the glass is going to provide a way to manually unlock these "doors". I believe any theft/attack on any of these openings without the car on would be brute force.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
There are 'hard' buttons on the doors. Found a sort of decent photo of Drivers door. I can make out 4 buttons for windows. But there are two other buttons I could not. I am guessing one is Door lock/unlock. If so, then they could hit the door unlock. The question becomes if they unlock this, does it also release the operation of the outside buttons for the frunk, bed topper, and tailgate?

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
It'll be interesting to see the final true secure spaces in the car. For example, even for all Teslas there is a manual frunk release latch under the car in front so that you can open the frunk even if the car is fully locked still. Then you have the similar laws about in cars at least, there has to be an interior truck release - but that doesn't fly for trucks still. The frunk will be interesting though as they will likely have to treat it like a car trunk, similar to Tesla.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It'll be interesting to see the final true secure spaces in the car. For example, even for all Teslas there is a manual frunk release latch under the car in front so that you can open the frunk even if the car is fully locked still. Then you have the similar laws about in cars at least, there has to be an interior truck release - but that doesn't fly for trucks still. The frunk will be interesting though as they will likely have to treat it like a car trunk, similar to Tesla.
You planning to lock someone in the frunk? ?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
There are 'hard' buttons on the doors. Found a sort of decent photo of Drivers door. I can make out 4 buttons for windows. But there are two other buttons I could not. I am guessing one is Door lock/unlock. If so, then they could hit the door unlock. The question becomes if they unlock this, does it also release the operation of the outside buttons for the frunk, bed topper, and tailgate?
Will be interesting to see how the release mechanisms are coded. I know in the Tesla Model S there is a physical button to open the glove box. I recently received an OTA update that added a feature that lets me put a pin on the glove box so even if I have the car running, I need to enter the pin to open the glove box. Makes it much more secure especially when valet or servicing the vehicle.

They could always add in features like this or have those modules tied to the key fob in order to open and not to the doorlock status.

OP
OP

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
There probably should be a release mechanism inside the gear tunnel that would allow it to open when the vehicle is in park so that my grandkids can let themselves out when I stop. ?

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
For example, even for all Teslas there is a manual frunk release latch under the car in front so that you can open the frunk even if the car is fully locked still.
I had no idea Tesla frunk's weren't secure. That seems like a very poor design decision. I can only imagine there might be some need for emergency services to get into the frunk for some reason? Like a battery disconnect? I completely understand the need for an emergency release on the inside but why one on the outside?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I had no idea Tesla frunk's weren't secure. That seems like a very poor design decision. I can only imagine there might be some need for emergency services to get into the frunk for some reason? Like a battery disconnect? I completely understand the need for an emergency release on the inside but why one on the outside?
Yes, under the hood is what Tesla calls the access panel. That is where the wire is that needs cutting.
Rivian R1T R1S Secure Storage? cut

Last edited:

Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Yep it is so responders can cut the high voltage line which is under the frunk. Either way, don’t store anything crazy valuable in one, gyms, etc.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Yep it is so responders can cut the high voltage line which is under the frunk. Either way, don’t store anything crazy valuable in one, gyms, etc.
I really don't think you should be advertising how to break in to cars here. :rolleyes:

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
So, now this brings up a new question. Where is the battery cut-off for the Rivians?

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
So, now this brings up a new question. Where is the battery cut-off for the Rivians?
I'm sure that will be made clear to us when we take delivery. If not, ask then. In mean time, personally I have plenty of other more pressing questions that need to be answered loooong before I take delivery.
Sponsored