Secure Storage?

U100

Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
By secure, I mean in case of a break in - if someone were to break the front window glass and press the door unlock button, would that then allow them to open the frunk, gear tunnel, and tailgate (the last two via the buttons on top of the bed rail)? Or will access to those be controlled via the main screen and therefore keep those areas inaccessible unless the vehicle is on?

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
By secure, I mean in case of a break in - if someone were to break the front window glass and press the door unlock button, would that then allow them to open the frunk, gear tunnel, and tailgate (the last two via the buttons on top of the bed rail)? Or will access to those be controlled via the main screen and therefore keep those areas inaccessible unless the vehicle is on?
Everything I have ever read regarding buttons/knobs on the Rivian have leaned to the less is more approach. I am certain the opening mechanism for the frunk is in software on the screen. Likewise I would think that the exterior release buttons for the gear tunnel and the tailgate would be disabled with the vehicle locked. I don't think breaking the glass is going to provide a way to manually unlock these "doors". I believe any theft/attack on any of these openings without the car on would be brute force.

Rivian-WI

Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
There are 'hard' buttons on the doors. Found a sort of decent photo of Drivers door. I can make out 4 buttons for windows. But there are two other buttons I could not. I am guessing one is Door lock/unlock. If so, then they could hit the door unlock. The question becomes if they unlock this, does it also release the operation of the outside buttons for the frunk, bed topper, and tailgate?

Advertisement

Advertisement