Sponsored

Screwed again by manual->scheduled charging!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have a scheduled charge to 70% every day from 130am-7am. Returning from a long drive with low battery, I manually started charging yesterday at 1pm and ended at 4pm before peak rates kicked in, it ended at 39%. When turning off, it showed scheduled charge at 130am at the top of the app... Yet it never started!

What the hell, Rivian? Resume AS SCHEDULED when manual is turned off! Must I manually unplug and replug? You're a freaking computer, compute it.

/rant
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I saw this behavior last week. It‘s annoying but now that I know about it I’ll always make sure that the last thing I do after manually stopping a charge with the vehicle or app before a scheduled start time is disconnect the charger and reconnect it. I understand why some may like the existing behavior because when they tell it to stop they want it to stop… until they do something.

I think manually stopping an L1 or L2 charge from the app should display a pop-up with two choices:
Stop until next plug in.
Stop until next scheduled charge.
Then we’d have the ability to choose what we want.

Scheduled charging related: I wish they’d let us set a day-by-day L1/L2 charging schedule per charging location.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
I have been having trouble recently with scheduled charging but a different problems and have tried all the steps to fix it.

I changed my schedule charge off of my normal 1 time and now randomly it changes to that with no warning. It took 2 times of coming out mornings and realizing i wasn't at 70% and not understanding how i got there. Resets, turning scheduled charging on and off, all have not fixed it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I'm sorry this happened. Wash your windshield and lie down for a short nap. It will help.

Sponsored

shandel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S FG/FE Adventure 20, Audi e-tron, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

This happened to me a couple weeks ago, and it surprised me too. I woke up to a battery at 20%.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This happened to me a couple weeks ago, and it surprised me too. I woke up to a battery at 20%.
It’s really frustrating and could potentially cause people to have to alter their day because of a skipped scheduled charge.

I was lucky when it happened to me because I noticed in the morning. I had to charge on off-peak rather than super-off-peak rates for about 4x the cost, but I was able to stay on schedule for a trip that evening. If I had planned to depart in the morning I would have been totally screwed.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Are you with SCE? I just set the schedule from 9PM to 4 PM so I only charges during off peak and super off peak no matter when I plug in.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Did you manually "stop charging"? Rivian probably needs to give multiple options here for on/off peak stuff. But now that I am thinking about it, I'm not sure what the behavior of my Wallbox would be in this situation either.

In my Bolt EV, I could set it to do a priority charge, which would bring it up to 40% charge regardless of when I plugged it in. Good for battery health and in case I happened to need the vehicle ASAP. It'd then finish the charge during my off-peak period. When set to "as late as possible" that would typically mean starting at like 1am in that situation.

LeftMySoulinNM

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Have had this happen several times but not because of an interrupted manual charge session. They just replaced my wall charger yesterday. Will see if it fixes

Sponsored

Beanejar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - CY/OC
I have a scheduled charge to 70% every day from 130am-7am. Returning from a long drive with low battery, I manually started charging yesterday at 1pm and ended at 4pm before peak rates kicked in, it ended at 39%. When turning off, it showed scheduled charge at 130am at the top of the app... Yet it never started!

What the hell, Rivian? Resume AS SCHEDULED when manual is turned off! Must I manually unplug and replug? You're a freaking computer, compute it.

/rant
I’ve experienced this, too - only solution I’ve found is to unplug and plug back in to trigger a scheduled charging session.

I have an irregular schedule and sometimes get home early in the day after not being home for a few days. I’ve wanted to suck up some pricey juice for a bit to get me above a comfortable level of charge just in case I needed to suddenly depart again. I would then stop the charging session via the app once a comfort level was achieved as to limit peak rate costs. The scheduled charging session later that night doesn’t start and I’m unable to re-initiate a charging session via the app. Added going to the garage to unplug and plug back in to the bedtime routine. :confused::rolleyes: Works, but would be nice if scheduled sessions just ran as scheduled. Previously reported to Support who have assured me this doesn’t happen…although clearly does. Kinda stopped bothering reporting just hoping it to be fixed in an update. Edit: Using Rivian charger.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Did you manually "stop charging"? Rivian probably needs to give multiple options here for on/off peak stuff.
I did, but then I saw the scheduled charging still listed in the top of the app, so I figured it would resume.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’ve experienced this, too - only solution I’ve found is to unplug and plug back in to trigger a scheduled charging session.
That's a physical solution to a Rivian software problem: it lists scheduled charge as still occurring in the future despite my off-schedule manual charge ending. If it isn't resuming on schedule, it should state so.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Isn't it going to be equally confusing/annoying if you press the "stop charging" button and come back a few hours later and find the vehicle charging?

I don't think it is obviously correct priority for schedule versus stop button. No matter which behavior Rivian selects, there are going to be people who expected it to do the other thing and complain.

If the the app is saying it's going to start charging when it isn't actually going to, that is clearly a bug. In the app. but what's actually happening isn't inherently wrong.

Additionally, there is a clear lack of documentation. About this and a million other things. We shouldn't have to guess or figure out from trial and error how the vehicle is going to behave in a particular situation.

OP
OP
Riviot

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Isn't it going to be equally confusing/annoying if you press the "stop charging" button and come back a few hours later and find the vehicle charging?
Mayhaps, but in the flipped version, my battery is actually charged and I don't get home with 9% after my regular commute 💀
Sponsored