Sand Mode and Winches

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Saw the houses! That's crazy. It also looks like NC12 requires 4WFD access now too 😵

Thanks for the expertise on OBX sand! Hoping to get to check out the seashore area while there, never been on the sand there.

Hey do you happen to know what's up with the RAN chargers at Nags Head Wood Preserve? Looks like installed in August, still not in service.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/323324
I do not know about the RAN chargers. Only use the superchargers at Harris Teeter to this point in time. Supposed to get my T Apr/May, so sand expertise is only based on my Taco with lockers and half the weight. I'll be learning with you. Have fun down there, if I find anything on the chargers I'll PM you.
Dirty_B
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I do not know about the RAN chargers. Only use the superchargers at Harris Teeter to this point in time. Supposed to get my T Apr/May, so sand expertise is only based on my Taco with lockers and half the weight. I'll be learning with you. Have fun down there, if I find anything on the chargers I'll PM you.
Dirty_B
I did talk with CS, Rivian stated there will be an update on the chargers s00n, but it was going to be a big news item not specific to these two chargers.

The only option out here with at least 50kWh is down in Avon. Pretty rough! Guess I will have to head down and top off to 100% before my return drive starts. Slightly dead on fast chargers the first 100mi headed west.

Have not been in the sand yet...

fallen888

First Name
Kon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, El Cap/black, power tonneau, 21"
Occupation
IT
Clubs

First, congratulations to Rivian for implementing sand mode.
Is this already out? Did some folks already get that update? I haven't heard of any ETAs yet, but very interested in this feature! Love having fun in the sand around the OBX area.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Saw the houses! That's crazy. It also looks like NC12 requires 4WFD access now too 😵

Thanks for the expertise on OBX sand! Hoping to get to check out the seashore area while there, never been on the sand there.

Hey do you happen to know what's up with the RAN chargers at Nags Head Wood Preserve? Looks like installed in August, still not in service.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/323324
Dirty_B
I did talk with CS, Rivian stated there will be an update on the chargers s00n, but it was going to be a big news item not specific to these two chargers.

The only option out here with at least 50kWh is down in Avon. Pretty rough! Guess I will have to head down and top off to 100% before my return drive starts. Slightly dead on fast chargers the first 100mi headed west.

Have not been in the sand yet...
Just as an FYI so terminology stays consistent and people don't end up with false expectations: The station listed on Plugshare will be a Rivian Waypoint charger, not a Rivian Adventure Network charger. This is akin to distinguishing between a Tesla Destination Charger and a Tesla Supercharger. The Waypoints are AC chargers/EVSEs that will provide at most 11-12kW charging.

Rivian's public map of RAN stations does not include anything in OBX. Looks like the closest ones will be Norfolk or Virginia Beach to the north and Columbia, NC to the west. New Bern is the other one in the general area. Unless you're staying somewhere with at least a 14-50 outlet, the Outer Banks are going to be tough for any non-Tesla EV for now. Hopefully EA, EVGo, or a local utility will add something further north than Avon's 62.5kW DC chargers.
Sponsored