Sponsored

Sand Mode and Winches

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
First, congratulations to Rivian for implementing sand mode. I encountered a new Subaru this last weekend that couldn't spin its wheels even with traction control disabled. Insanity.

Second, what are you considering for a winch? Anyone kinow the max amp draw from the two little batteries?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

There have been mentions of a winch option, but it’s never shown up in the configurator.

https://insideevs.com/news/506532/rivian-built-in-winch-option/

If I were to do this myself, I think a Warn Zeon Platinum will be required. It looks like the winch will be hidden behind the bumper, thus requiring a remote clutch, which the zeon Platinum has.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If I were to do this myself, I think a Warn Zeon Platinum will be required. It looks like the winch will be hidden behind the bumper, thus requiring a remote clutch, which the zeon Platinum has.
99.99% probability this will be the winch rivian offers.

i‘d just dispense with any hassle and buy it through them.

Last edited:
OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The winch will need to be 12K pound capacity, but I doubt they offer a remote. If its 12V it may also need a higher ampacity 12V charger on the vehicle. I'm guessing that activating the winch will also turn on the 12V battery charger.

The Warn Zero is suitable as a tow truck winch. I don't see that quality being needed for a 0-10 times per year winch.

I prefer a receiver winch mountable front and back. But that doesn't seem practical. I would rather leave the winch at home 11 months of the year.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The winch will need to be 12K pound capacity, but I doubt they offer a remote. If its 12V it may also need a higher ampacity 12V charger on the vehicle. I'm guessing that activating the winch will also turn on the 12V battery charger.

The Warn Zero is suitable as a tow truck winch. I don't see that quality being needed for a 0-10 times per year winch.

I prefer a receiver winch mountable front and back. But that doesn't seem practical. I would rather leave the winch at home 11 months of the year.
The warn zeon series is the only one with remote freespool. It comes with a remote, in 12k capacity.
https://www.warn.com/zeon-12-platinum-winch-92820

the rivian app has winch controls in it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
My guide told me last week that the winch will be an available option “in the future” and that currently shipping trucks can be “retrofitted” with it. This was in response to a question asking if the truck was winch ready and more specifically asking about how to wire it up since I have similar concerns about the 12v being sufficient to support a winch. She gave me info, but didn’t really answer my question.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
I will be headed to the Outer Banks in a couple weeks, of course I would like to take my R1T out in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore (with a permit of course!).

My question is for current sand use, is there any considerations for an EV on sand that vary from normal sand driving tips? My biggest question comes in regard to tire psi...is that still a best practice, with an EV is it as safe to lower the psi due to the significant torque difference going to the wheel?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I will be headed to the Outer Banks in a couple weeks, of course I would like to take my R1T out in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore (with a permit of course!).

My question is for current sand use, is there any considerations for an EV on sand that vary from normal sand driving tips? My biggest question comes in regard to tire psi...is that still a best practice, with an EV is it as safe to lower the psi due to the significant torque difference going to the wheel?
Just make sure to avoid drum sand lest you accidentally summon a maker.

OP
OP

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y

Without bead lockers the rule of thumb is to stay above 10 psi. But I wouldn't go to the low double digits without a full size spare.

Remember you will be one of the heaviest vehicles out on the sand

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Without bead lockers the rule of thumb is to stay above 10 psi. But I wouldn't go to the low double digits without a full size spare.

IIRC, when running the Rebelle, Emme and Rebecca found 28 psi was about as low as they should go given the weight of the truck.

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Last edited:

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
IIRC, when running the Rebelle, Emme and Rebecca found 28 psi was about as low as they should go given the weight of the truck.
I swear I saw Rivian said it was somewhere in the 30s as well. Maybe 30 psi?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales

Hopefully you weren't going to stay in one of the two houses that fell into the ocean today in Rodanthe!

I never really air down on the OBX beaches...drive smart and usually I'm fine - this because getting air is challenging. Now that you have your own fill system, you'll be king of the red neck Riviera. If you see a LG/FE R1T out there...it may be me.
Dirty_B

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Hopefully you weren't going to stay in one of the two houses that fell into the ocean today in Rodanthe!

I never really air down on the OBX beaches...drive smart and usually I'm fine - this because getting air is challenging. Now that you have your own fill system, you'll be king of the red neck Riviera. If you see a LG/FE R1T out there...it may be me.
Dirty_B
Saw the houses! That's crazy. It also looks like NC12 requires 4WFD access now too 😵

Thanks for the expertise on OBX sand! Hoping to get to check out the seashore area while there, never been on the sand there.

Hey do you happen to know what's up with the RAN chargers at Nags Head Wood Preserve? Looks like installed in August, still not in service.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/323324
Sponsored

Last edited: