Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I think it became clearer when Rivian started announcing it's plans to develop batteries in house and talked about the need for new partners.

Unfortunately Illinois politicians keep pushing the rumor that Samsung is still going to build a battery plant in Normal despite there not being any evidence to back it up.

Rivian (allegedly) made some strategic errors with Samsung that are now biting them in the ass.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I saw that too.
Certainly isn't the kind of news you want out there when you are trying to keep the enthusiasm up at the start of what will be rocky year.

So you know... maybe you get ahead of it by leaking some vaguely encouraging ramp up numbers out to a friendly reporter a Bloomberg and let other outlets feed off that.

But heck, what do I know. We'll see how it goes in February.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
If this happened in the fall, I don't recall seeing articles about it. This would have been a material disclosure to make during the IPO process because it goes directly to Rivian's ability to secure future supplies and equipment.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd love to get their management in a room and ask why they (supposedly) wouldn't agree to a guaranteed purchase order if they are supposedly constrained by batteries.
Right? Samsung is still going to sell them batteries but I would think a strategic battery partnership would have been of the highest priority.

Sometimes in these situations the news drips out in reverse. If you read this from bottom to top it could be an explanation for delays, but who knows. Just speculation.

- Launch Edition holders are told their end of 2021 deliveries are pushed to 2022
- MaxPack postponed indefinitely
- COO Departs
- Rivian unable to secure battery partnership opportunity with Samsung

If you ever read Ed Niedermeyer's book about the beginnings of Tesla there are some great stories about the early days of building those cars and all the crazy deals and decisions just to keep it going. I'm sure there will be a book about Rivian's status that will be equally interesting at some point.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

When was this announced? Last I saw it was pushed back to 2023
He is translating Rivianese to English.

Rivian's MO is to continually announce slight delays instead of stating a date in the far future that would be more accurate.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Think I'll wait to see if a more reputable news source than notebookcheck.net confirms the story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moosehead

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Rechecking the first Rivian earnings call, much of the analyst Q&A was gathered in production, ramp, deposit order pace, and specifically the Samsung battery relationship.

I suspect those themes will be further highlighted and pressed in the upcoming March earnings call, along with what I would hope to be C Suite needs/searches.

At the time RJ gave a long “three pronged” battery strategy explaining massive need and concurrent paths for battery production and materials sourcing.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...e-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Rechecking the first Rivian earnings call, much of the analyst Q&A was gathered in production, ramp, deposit order pace, and specifically the Samsung battery relationship.

I suspect those themes will be further highlighted and pressed in the upcoming March earnings call, along with what I would hope to be C Suite needs/searches.

At the time RJ gave a long “three pronged” battery strategy explaining massive need and concurrent paths for battery production and materials sourcing.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/44...e-on-q3-2021-results-earnings-call-transcript
Thanks for sharing that link, typical of an earnings call a lot of non-answer answers.

One thing I did see that I had not realized is the exclusivity on the commercial side is only last mile delivery. It does not prevent them from building work truck variants. Think plumbers, steam cleaners, basic work vans, or even camper shells.

Very interested in the next earnings call.
Sponsored