First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi A7, 1977 Datsun 280z, 2022 Ioniq 5
Occupation
Network Engineer
So this has been a fun series of events.
I just got my truck back from the Service Center after over a month of it sitting there going through various fixes which include:
Low speed creaking noise: Fixed! (New bolt rev.)
Steering wheel crooked: Sort of Fixed! (Still very slightly off but the truck tracks straight so I'll take it, this was the third time)
Driver Side Wind Noise: Fixed! (Triangle glass replaced)
Tailgate doesn't drop: Fixed! (adjusted latches)
Wind Noise up high: ISSUE! (The gasketing around window had various gaps. Rivian opted to replaced the whole windshield and in the process let me know the roof applique had also been installed incorrectly and was replaced as well)

So the first thing I noticed when I get it back is the panoramic roof is cracked, right over the driver side going towards the rearview mirror in the center. Also my light bar has a large crack in it that wasn't there before. I'm also missing a small piece of gasketing on the hood.
How the truck was released like this, I do not know but i submitted new tickets. Not the worst thing in the world.

However yesterday driving home I hear what sounds like a hammer drill in the vehicle. I pull over and find that one side of the roof applique is lifting slightly. I immediately make this a case to Rivian and they escalate and let me know the truck will be picked up on the 29th. Great, but I let them know I don't feel safe driving it till then. No prob, they'll set up a rental. No rental notice last night. This morning I call again and get told the service center needs to approve the rental but they aren't responding (Richmond VA). So I'm in a bind, I can't miss work as it is considered critical. So I put some tape and drive slower to get to work. It makes it there with little hammering. Coming back from work though the whole applique just flies off without warning, almost hitting a motorcyclist in the process. I am beyond dissapointed, frustrated, and embarrassed now. So if anyone wants to see whats under the applique, you can see in the pics. Looks pretty sad honestly.
I immediately let Rivian know about this and they let me know they'd get a Rental sorted and gave me lyft credits... still waiting on the rental contract.

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Applique Flew Off, Panoramic Roof Cracked 20220825_144151

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Applique Flew Off, Panoramic Roof Cracked 20220825_144136

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Applique Flew Off, Panoramic Roof Cracked 20220825_144126

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Applique Flew Off, Panoramic Roof Cracked 20220820_080412

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Applique Flew Off, Panoramic Roof Cracked 20220820_121727

Rivian R1T R1S Roof Applique Flew Off, Panoramic Roof Cracked 20220820_080449
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Ouch. You spend nearly $80k on a truck and get subpar service from Rivian.

Is a the little devil on your shoulder nudging you to sell for a profit and move on?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I actually kind of like the sleek look seamlessly connecting the windshield to roof, vs the body colored piece that flew off. I'd probably prefer a wrap type of application rather than this method though.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Would the Lemon Law apply in your state?
I don't think that applies here. That's for major issues that can't be fixed after repeated attempts by the manufacturer, and significant loss of use incurred. This is merely the case of a part that was replaced for other reasons, but not adhered properly. They would have to try and fail several times, and it deemed significant enough, for that to apply.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So they replaced your windshield and the top metal band.. .but cracked your glass roof (which will be a much larger job to repair) while doing it? Who were the service techs.. Larry, Moe and Curly :rolleyes:

They are trying really hard to emulate Tesla it seems, even right down to the SC experience.

OP
OP
chickp

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
The only part that might apply is the fact that the truck has been in service more than 30 days in 2 years. But I think that also needs to have an ongoing issue that can't be fixed vs multiple different issues that keep popping up.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Having now been trying to get them to fix an issue they created for like….two weeks now, I can safely say that Rivian service is absolute hot garbage

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Any evidence of a chip, etc on the other end of that roof crack that might suggest it was caused by an impact of some sort?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I think one reason people aren't using a Lemon Law process is they can currently flip them for profit. Lemon Laws may take time, flipping is money in your pocket right now, even if it is for what you paid for it. And if you do use the Lemon Law process, and want another Rivian, you may be subject to the new pricing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chickp

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Network Engineer
Any evidence of a chip, etc on the other end of that roof crack that might suggest it was caused by an impact of some sort?
No chip, nothing hit it. Actually the crack is only on the inside layer of glass. It doesn't seem to go through or be visible from the outside.

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I’m sorry that you’re having so much trouble. I hope the service department gets its act together quickly. Is there a manager you can reach?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Did someone just run a wide bead of adhesive around the perimeter of that applique to hold it on?!? I see two clips near the middle and nothing else mechanical to hold it down.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The Lemon Law takes time. In many (most?) states the company has to be given and failed at least 3 times to repair the exact same problem.

In Pennsylvania:

"It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to repair or correct a nonconformity if:
The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three times by the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers and the nonconformity still exists; or the vehicle is out-of-service by reason of any nonconformity for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days."

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I don't think that applies here. That's for major issues that can't be fixed after repeated attempts by the manufacturer, and significant loss of use incurred. This is merely the case of a part that was replaced for other reasons, but not adhered properly. They would have to try and fail several times, and it deemed significant enough, for that to apply.
Check the law for your state...they vary.
Sponsored