First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Haha, I'm stealing that term. And likely appropriate, as my passengers may very well need a fresh pair from time to time!
So it's settled... undergarments shall be stored under the passenger seat and "beef jerky" shall be stored under the driver seat. This will become important as it's not recommended to comingle your beef jerky and undergarments.

Curious how many members will pick up on the "beef jerky" reference from several months ago.
I sincerely hope to meet some of the forum members that have shared their time together (yet apart) in the long wait throughout a pandemic and before.
Sorry for the interruption. I'm team android (Samsung Galaxy) but If I have to dig an old Nokia, Erricson, or blackberry out of the closet to get the performance shown in the recent Normal Ill. videos consider it done.
Sponsored

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
IOS here. But I just bought a new house and I am doing all the google home compatible devices for home automation. Being able to open the gate, garage and front door and turn on outside lights from the R1S seems likely.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

iOS user here. Just bought a new house (moving tomorrow) and I’m trying to set up Homekit compatible accessories everywhere. I’m learning that the accessory market is rather fragmented, but Homebridge appears to help with that some.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
iOS user here. Just bought a new house (moving tomorrow) and I’m trying to set up Homekit compatible accessories everywhere. I’m learning that the accessory market is rather fragmented, but Homebridge appears to help with that some.
I have HOOBS running on a Raspberry Pi 4 and it has helped bridge some of those gaps, for me.

Sponsored

Anthony Williams

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T on order
Heavily invested in the Android ecosystem but I will adjust as needed to maximize the functionality with my future R1T

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
This isn't a commentary on which is better (I use both, and dislike religious arguments;)) but...

Having worked on mobile development at several companies, including one of the biggest tech companies in the world, I can tell you within Rivian's US demographic for the R1S and R1T it is almost certainly a pretty heavy skew towards iOS users. It's a simple demographic story. Worldwide, Android has a much larger share of the smartphone market. In North America, Apple has a small lead but that lead gets bigger and bigger when you look at income demographics.

As a result, while it would be criminal to not support both well, iOS will likely be a slightly higher priority at least until they start shipping more units internationally and/or come up with cheaper products.

You also don't have to just take my word for it, Statista has the data. The income demographics data requires a paid account I believe though.

https://www.statista.com/statistics...-operating-systems-in-north-america-by-month/

Last edited:

Sponsored

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
I'm interested in people weighing in on their mobile device platform of choice. For a long time I saw Rivian focused on iOS development based on job postings but recently I see more Android developer positions.

What is the general demographic of this community? Is it split roughtly 50/50 like the larger populace or does this population skew one way or the other.

I'm also interested in the perspective of Tesla owners on how the Android / iOS apps differ in function.

I'll start - I'm currently an iOS user (though I was a long-time Android user going back to the original Google Nexus One). All things being equal I'd like to go back to Android when my current device warranty is up.
I would like the Apple iOS app. Although I’ve never loaded or used it on our 2017 MBenz. While camping in our RV we use Spotify into the trailer speakers, assuming we can get a cellular signal. Otherwise we play it from saved / downloaded on phone.

OP
OP
svet-am

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Having worked on mobile development at several companies, including one of the biggest tech companies in the world, I can tell you within Rivian's US demographic for the R1S and R1T it is almost certainly a pretty heavy skew towards iOS users. It's a simple demographic story. Worldwide, Android has a much larger share of the smartphone market. In North America, Apple has a small lead but that lead gets bigger and bigger when you look at income demographics.
This is a good point and what I was getting at in my OP. I also know from some of my own personal dabbling in Android development that even with Google's attempts to fix the platform, it's still _really fragmented_. It's very challenging to develop against a series of devices that all may have different OS features/capabilities available. At least with iOS, it's an easier target since devices are tightly controlled with the OS and hardware combinations. I've heard more experienced developers tell me that this is why Android apps typically lag their iOS counterparts in terms of being in feature parity.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
This is a good point and what I was getting at in my OP. I also know from some of my own personal dabbling in Android development that even with Google's attempts to fix the platform, it's still _really fragmented_. It's very challenging to develop against a series of devices that all may have different OS features/capabilities available. At least with iOS, it's an easier target since devices are tightly controlled with the OS and hardware combinations. I've heard more experienced developers tell me that this is why Android apps typically lag their iOS counterparts in terms of being in feature parity.
100% Testing in Android is really difficult, particularly with things like Bluetooth where there are a lot of terribly broken stacks.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
I miss the snake game!
Me too. First ever game played on mobile. I think we should all put in a request to integrate that game into Rivian. Might be a good time pass while recharging
Sponsored