Sponsored

Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ??

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Headed out on the road yesterday and drove from PDX to Antioch, CA with a straight shot down I-5. I was curious to find out how ABRB estimates and Rivian GPS estimates compared to what you actually end up with.

AT 20's, Conserve Mode the whole time, Interstate's driven at the speed limit + ~10mph, Highway+ as much as possible. Estimated 293 miles of range on 100% charge in Conserve

Left Portland with 100% SOC

First stop : EA in Sutherlin, OR (162 miles). One of the stations was under maintenance, 350 station worked flawlessly saw 217 for a bit before settling in around 150.

ABRP estimated arrival SOC: 36%
Actual arrival SOC: 41%
Rivian GPS estimated range on arrival: 127 miles
Actual estimated range on arrival: 124 miles

Charged to 41-83% in just under 30 minutes (58 kWh for a cost of $17.98)

ABRP said to charge to 80% but we were finishing up some breakfast, so it went a little long

Second Stop: Walmart EA in Yreka (161 miles). One station had no cords, but a Chevy Bolt was just leaving the 350 station, so I took that one (vs. one of the available 150s). Got the plug in and retry error for the first time ever. Did a hard reset (thanks for the tip @jjswan33) and that fixed it.

ABRP estimated arrival SOC: 10% (really 13% since we charged to 83% previously)
Actual arrival SOC: 21%
Rivian GPS estimated range on arrival: 51 miles
Actual estimated range on arrival: 62 miles

Charged to 21-90% in about 56 minutes (95 kWh for a cost of $29.45)

ABRP said to charge to 84% but we were eating lunch so went to 90%

Third stop: EA at the Walmart in Willows (171 miles). Got a message that charging was reduced due to the station, but it was still pulling just over 150 to start. So, not that bad really (although it was a 350 station).

ABRP estimated arrival SOC: 17% (really 23% since we charged to 90% previously)
Actual arrival SOC: 27%
Rivian GPS estimated range on arrival: 100 miles
Actual estimated range on arrival: 87 miles - on this, it was 111 degrees and we stopped for 10-15 minutes at a rest area and left the AC running so that might account for part of the discrepancy.

Charged to 27-71% in about 28 minutes (67 kWh for a cost of $20.77)

We were supposed to charge to 80%, but were running a bit late, and even with the AC it was freaking hot.

Final Stop: Antioch, CA (133 miles)

ABRP estimated arrival SOC: 25% (really 16% since we charged to 71% previously)
Rivian GPS estimated range on arrival: Forgot to note this :(

So a couple of minor charger issues, but nothing too bad. No pictures because it was a boring ass drive unworthy of photos.

On to Yosemite here in a few minutes.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Thanks for the write up. very informative.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Headed out on the road yesterday and drove from PDX to Antioch, CA with a straight shot down I-5. I was curious to find out how ABRB estimates and Rivian GPS estimates compared to what you actually end up with.

AT 20's, Conserve Mode the whole time, Interstate's driven at the speed limit + ~10mph, Highway+ as much as possible. Estimated 293 miles of range on 100% charge in Conserve

First stop : EA in Sutherlin, OR (162 miles). One of the stations was under maintenance, 350 station worked flawlessly saw 217 for a bit before settling in around 150.

ABRP said to charge to 80% but we were finishing up some breakfast, so it went a little long

Second Stop: Walmart EA in Yreka (161 miles). One station had no cords, but a Chevy Bolt was just leaving the 350 station, so I took that one (vs. one of the available 150s). Got the plug in and retry error for the first time ever. Did a hard reset (thanks for the tip @jjswan33) and that fixed it.

Third stop: EA at the Walmart in Willows (171 miles). Got a message that charging was reduced due to the station, but it was still pulling just over 150 to start. So, not that bad really (although it was a 350 station).

Actual estimated range on arrival: 87 miles - on this, it was 111 degrees and we stopped for 10-15 minutes at a rest area and left the AC running so that might account for part of the discrepancy.

We were supposed to charge to 80%, but were running a bit late, and even with the AC it was freaking hot.

So a couple of minor charger issues, but nothing too bad. No pictures because it was a boring ass drive unworthy of photos.

Thanks for the write. Can you share the settings you are using in ABRP? Are they the default Rivian settings or did you tweak them?

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Thanks for the write. Can you share the settings you are using in ABRP? Are they the default Rivian settings or did you tweak them?
Good catch! They are the default settings. I will edit the original post to note that.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

No Rivian photos are unworthy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Made it to Yosemite. Real data wherever I get better internet.

Saw three other trucks today (white, fg, and el cap).

Charging in Tracy and Buck Meafows was good. Tracy was limited to 162 Buck Meadows was up around 212. These were newer Signet boxes.

Going up Priest Grade I got a message about the truck operating at reduced capabilities. Definitely felt like it steered differently. That cleared up shortly after clearing the grade.

Staying at the lodge and am hooked up to the waypoint charger here.

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? 1141FFA4-637E-4C21-8212-DFA6629CD087

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? F938FE09-CD13-4648-8632-D49311E400AA

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Made it to Yosemite. Real data wherever I get better internet.

Saw three other trucks today (white, fg, and el cap).

Charging in Tracy and Buck Meafows was good. Tracy was limited to 162 Buck Meadows was up around 212. These were newer Signet boxes.

Going up Priest Grade I got a message about the truck operating at reduced capabilities. Definitely felt like it steered differently. That cleared up shortly after clearing the grade.

Staying at the lodge and am hooked up to the waypoint charger here.

1141FFA4-637E-4C21-8212-DFA6629CD087.jpeg

F938FE09-CD13-4648-8632-D49311E400AA.jpeg
Great to see Waypoint chargers being used by R1s

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Great to see Waypoint chargers being used by R1s
That waypoint charger looks identical to my home charger. Are they one and the same? Never would have guessed my home unit could be installed outside and exposed to the elements. Sorry if dumb question but no waypoint chargers anywhere near me.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You might want to change your abrp settings to 2.6 mi/kwh.

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

That waypoint charger looks identical to my home charger. Are they one and the same? Never would have guessed my home unit could be installed outside and exposed to the elements. Sorry if dumb question but no waypoint chargers anywhere near me.
I have the home charger and they are completely different. That being said you can install the home charger outside I believe.

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have the home charger and they are completely different. That being said you can install the home charger outside I believe.
Thanks - zooming in on the picture above, it looks a bit different from my home unit and there appears to be a display on it. I thought it was a sticker when I originally saw it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
You might want to change your abrp settings to 2.6 mi/kwh.
That's 385 Wh/mi. The ABRP default is almost 100 Wh/mi more than that. I've been seeing more like the 385 number but am having trouble believing it.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That's 385 Wh/mi. The ABRP default is almost 100 Wh/mi more than that. I've been seeing more like the 385 number but am having trouble believing it.
Correct. It fits what I've seen best fits my road trips at about 76mpg. To get it up to 290ish miles of range you need it to be around 380.

However, ABRP does seem to be more sensitive to speed than the R1T for some reason. I haven't actually seen 385wh/mi at the reference speed of 65mph.

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Welp the data gathering portion of the trip was scuttled yesterday by a terrible charging experience.

We left the Yosemite Valley at 100% SOC headed to Anaheim. ABRP had us stopping at the Bakersfield Plaza EA station, so I put this info into the Rivian GPS and it tried to send us on 140 to 99 which would have taken over a half hour longer (and 40 miles more range) that what ABRP and Google Maps were recommending. (41 to 99)

In any case, the Rivian recommended route had us arriving with 74 miles of range we arrived with 114 miles of range (which equates to using 179 miles of range to travel 203 miles). A big chunk of that "savings" was because we basically used zero range to travel the ~40 miles from the high point out of Yosemite (just past tunnel view) down into Oakhurst (by contrast it took about 21 miles of range to drive the ~10 miles to get from The Ahwahnee at the end of the valley up to that pass).

in any case, we have an uneventful drive into Bakersfield. On the way I checked the EA app and it warned me that one of the stations was offline, two were operating at 50kWh, and one was operating normally (150 kWh). I checked about 5 minutes out and saw that all the stations were open.

We arrived and 2 of the 3 had been taken, and only a 50 was available. After plugging in I was only getting 37kWh. Now, in hindsight this would have worked because we had planned on eating at a Black Bear diner next door, but I was so frustrated and in the ensuing 5 minutes it took to get connected and complain to my wife about the charger about 5 cars showed up. The first the guy was in pretty dire straights so I gave up the charger since I had more than enough range to get to another station.

We ended up heading to the Walmart in Santa Clarita and it worked flawlessly and the session was free! From there we battled Los Angeles traffic down to Anaheim. Used Highway+ in a lot of the stop and go and it worked well until a section where the lane markers were gone and it veered me into the next lane over. That was not fun.

In any case if you've not been to Yosemite, add it to your bucket list.

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? IMG_1524

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? IMG_1497

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? IMG_1480

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? IMG_1512

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? IMG_1520

Rivian R1T R1S Road Trip: Portland to Antioch to Yosemite to Disneyland and ?? IMG_1488 (1)

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

in any case, we have an uneventful drive into Bakersfield. On the way I checked the EA app and it warned me that one of the stations was offline, two were operating at 50kWh, and one was operating normally (150 kWh). I checked about 5 minutes out and saw that all the stations were open.
On my trip back to PDX I noticed a lot of these 350kW EA stations being de-rated to 50kW and also a lot of what were supposed to be 350kW stations only giving 150kW.

Seems like EA discovered a problem and are purposely slowing down some of their chargers, frustrating but if it keeps them up and running then I won't complain further. Now if we could just get those EVs that can't charge much faster than 50kW to use those stations that will be a win.
Sponsored