Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Vehicles built with the CCS charge ports will get a free NACS adapter, with additional adapters available for purchase in our Gear Shop

Rivian R1T R1S Rivians built with CCS charge ports will get free NACS adapter, with additional adapters available in the Gear Shop IMG_0639
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
They didn't have to do this but I'm glad they did.
I was ready to pay $2k. Now I have to go figure out how to explain I have $2k to spend to my wife, since it is now free. This logic won't work....but worth a shot....can't win if you don't play!

NDallasR1S

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Toyota Highlander
Clubs

I wonder if they could ever retrofit the NACS directly in to eliminate the need for an adapter. (Paid option obviously)
I can only hope. Resale values for vehicles fitted with CCS likely to be negatively impacted as future consumers will want NACS especially if charging infrastructure goes this direction as it currently appears to be doing.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I wonder if they could ever retrofit the NACS directly in to eliminate the need for an adapter. (Paid option obviously)
Retrofits would be cost-prohibitive. Rivian will never even bother to work out the engineering for it because it makes no practical sense when a cheap adapter does the job.

They would have to replace wiring harnesses, charge controller, and probably the onboard charger itself. Cost and labor would run thousands. The uptake rate would be extremely low. Figuring out what it would take to do would cost Rivian more than they could ever make back.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I was ready to pay $2k. Now I have to go figure out how to explain I have $2k to spend to my wife, since it is now free. This logic won't work....but worth a shot....can't win if you don't play!
Don't have to say you got it free!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is excellent. Totally exceeded expectations.

Hopefully we don't need to take action to hold them to it.

roberttatefan

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, S7, Exocet, JGC
Retrofits would be cost-prohibitive. Rivian will never even bother to work out the engineering for it because it makes no practical sense when a cheap adapter does the job.

They would have to replace wiring harnesses, charge controller, and probably the onboard charger itself. Cost and labor would run thousands. The uptake rate would be extremely low. Figuring out what it would take to do would cost Rivian more than they could ever make back.
I'd be interested in the schematics supporting this. Not saying you're incorrect, but my brain is having trouble rationalizing the ability to create a relatively small adapter but the inability to do so internally through hardwiring.

In my simple brain, this isn't vastly different than replacing a home outlet with a newer model that say, supports USB-C.

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I can only hope. Resale values for vehicles fitted with CCS likely to be negatively impacted as future consumers will want NACS especially if charging infrastructure goes this direction as it currently appears to be doing.
I think the negative impact, if any, will be very minimal, and I'll gladly take that hit vs. having to wait 2+ years for a R1 fitted with native NACS plug.

The way I see it, there are still a lot of Level 2 chargers using J1772 as well as good number of DCFC using CCS. To use those with a R1 fitted with a native NACS port, you would need an adapter. To use a NACS charger on an R1 fitted with a native CCS port, you would need an adapter.

Either way, most owners are going to be carrying one adapter or another for the foreseeable future, so I'm not overly concerned with whether the adapter I carry is NACS to CCS or CCS to NACS (which Rivian has already stated will be provided free of charge to existing owners).

Now, if they take the wiring structure to 800v at the same time they move to NACS (which would be somewhat logical to make the changes together), the hit would be significantly more for existing R1s, but again -- still willing to take whatever that hit will be for 2+ years of enjoying my R1S.

Sponsored

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
Vehicles built with the CCS charge ports will get a free NACS adapter, with additional adapters available for purchase in our Gear Shop

IMG_0639.jpeg
I’ll probably get the NACS adapter before I get my broken tonneau replaced

Sfosro

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired

I would think most people have a level two charger at home as I do. Why change the truck receptacle. I agree that a free adapter is completely unexpected though. Thanks Rivian.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wasn't expecting this, but it's a good move.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Eh, the official Tesla retrofit was only $500, including both charge port upgrade to support the CCS adapter plus the adapter itself. No way was it ever going to be $2000. Even during the Ford NACS announcement, Elon Musk said the adapter for Ford would be "in the hundreds of dollars" range. (Then Ford's CEO implied in an interview it would be provided free, although Ford PR has been super cagey, just saying they would "offer" the adapter. Hopefully this spurs Ford to make it free, too.)
Sponsored