Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

Observation. On longer trips if I'm not changing my driving behavior, the estimation has been pretty accurate lately. It's gotten a lot better since earlier software. It's constantly recalculating now as well where earlier software it would only do it if you cancelled and re-routed.
Makes sense that itā€™s constantly recalculating. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not sure if the OP needs worry about his estimated range being incorrect. The computer should detect the lower range from his new tires and adjust accordingly. It might take a few days to adjust though.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Makes sense that itā€™s constantly recalculating. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not sure if the OP needs worry about his estimated range being incorrect. The computer should detect the lower range from his new tires and adjust accordingly. It might take a few days to adjust though.
Rivian doesn't let the range values in the driver display and the energy screen drop below the EPA rating. The map will accommodate it though.

If tire diameter is wrong, it's going to estimate with the same percentage error unless they are doing the estimation off gps distance, which I doubt. It should overestimate consumption if you go to a larger tire though, so it's probably not going to turn out to be a big deal.

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
Not sure if this is whatā€™s being suggested, but we shouldnā€™t have to limit our choices because the OEM wonā€™t accommodate. Our wheel & tire choices should only be limited by what will physically fit.

If there are valid reasons not to use non-OEM wheels, then this shouldā€™ve been thoroughly explained a long time ago. Rivian should understand that theyā€™re building trucks, not Camrys.
Rivian really doesn't owe their customers anything in this regard. They offer 3 wheel and tire combos for different use cases and have separate calibrations for each one, and they'll even switch amongst those for you at a Service Center. You can't realistically expect them to have cals for any aftermarket combination beyond maybe an adjustable tire size parameter. The trucks were tested and certified to meet safety and efficiency standards on the OEM tire options and Rivian isn't going to be interested in helping you use something different. Neither would GM or Ford. If you put off-road tires on your F150 and the MPG estimator on the dash is now inaccurate, Ford isn't going to fix that for you. That's the name of the game with modifying vehicles; each mod takes you a step further away from the factory conveniences, reliability, efficiency, etc.

I do think the Service Center should be willing to load whichever of the 3 cals you ask for, though.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I do think the Service Center should be willing to load whichever of the 3 cals you ask for, though.
I think that's all OP was asking for?

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
I think that's all OP was asking for?
Agreed, that's my impression too. It's too bad they wouldn't do that for him. I was just responding to the separate notion that Rivian should support aftermarket tires in some way.

Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I was just responding to the separate notion that Rivian should support aftermarket tires in some way.
No, you provided a lecture in response to me saying that Rivian should provide an explanation if there are valid reasons not to use non-OEM wheels.

OP
OP
Sprout

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Can anyone verify that the mobile service can actually do the new wheel reprogramming on an OE wheel/tire swap? At least some people have reported that the mobile service was not able to do the programming after changing the wheels.

I had my 22s swapped for 20s a month ago during my first SC visit. I'm going to swap them back myself in a month or so and live with whatever range estimate errors there may be, if that really is the only down-side. There have been mixed reports on this aspect as well.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Can anyone verify that the mobile service can actually do the new wheel reprogramming on an OE wheel/tire swap? At least some people have reported that the mobile service was not able to do the programming after changing the wheels.

I had my 22s swapped for 20s a month ago during my first SC visit. I'm going to swap them back myself in a month or so and live with whatever range estimate errors there may be, if that really is the only down-side. There have been mixed reports on this aspect as well.
Yes, my SC advisor told me they can do mobile service OE wheel reprogramming but it will cost you. I elected not to since I'd change my wheels at least twice a year. Range reprogramming is overrated (as in inaccurate) IMO.

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I swapped my truck from 22s to aftermarket 20s with Pirelli Scoripons in the stock size. My dash image (and I'm guessing my calibration) was displaying the 22s up until the last SC visit in December. When the truck returned it was showing a picture of my LA Silver R1T with 20" dark wheels. This was the closest, I would guess, to what's actually on my truck.

OP - This was done in Bellevue and as you (ID) and I (MT) are closest so that SC, maybe keep that in your back pocket in the event that your truck ever visits that SC...

For what it worth, your tires look massive! Do they fit in the wheel wells in standard or low ride heights?

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian won't calibrate aftermarket wheels 1676525106914

Sponsored

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
I recently changed from 21s to 20s and the SC had troubles loading the change while I was there. The SC manager told me most people donā€™t bother to change the profile, and didnā€™t think it was an issue. He also said they are working on a setting that users can change the profile on their own.

Iā€™ve also found that if you get an answer from Rivian you donā€™t like, hang up and try again, eventually you will reach someone who has more familiarity with X and can help.

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

I swapped my truck from 22s to aftermarket 20s with Pirelli Scoripons in the stock size. My dash image (and I'm guessing my calibration) was displaying the 22s up until the last SC visit in December. When the truck returned it was showing a picture of my LA Silver R1T with 20" dark wheels. This was the closest, I would guess, to what's actually on my truck.

1676525106914.png
You got the American Racing wheels!
Those are back ordered everywhere. I was able to find three of them, but not four. These are the only non-OEM wheels with +30 offset that donā€™t look terrible (to my eyes).

Congrats!

OP
OP
Sprout

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
For what it worth, your tires look massive! Do they fit in the wheel wells in standard or low ride heights?

1676525106914.png
They are stock 20 size. 275/65R20's. No rubbing so far.

Baymax

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey, Hyundai Genesis
Occupation
Business Owner
Clubs

And the current weather in my neck of the woods is COLD.
I see you're in Idaho! Are you in the Treasure Valley? I've only seen a white R1T twice on I-84. Other than a scheduled meetup with a RB owner that has since moved away, I haven't seen any rolling around here yet. Would love to get a look in the flesh if you're in the Boise metro area.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
It would be so easy for Rivian to set up a screen where the owner can enter the weight of the wheel and tire combination, along with the tire size and type. That's really all they would need to get a decent range calibration.
Sponsored