Rivian wil not calibrate aftermarket wheels / tires

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
I have glanced at the 4 pages worth of feedback. I will take my time to read every response later, since I am contemplating doing a similar switch as the OP, 21's to 20's and be "covered".

Aside from many trying to, in my estimation, illogically berate the OP's decision, it seems like many did not read the part where the OP attempted to confirm the changes would be "allowed/covered under warranty". I hope "he' did for his own sake.

So, what good is it to tell an owner to go to a different SC, when 1) those are very limited 2) The response should be the SAME at every SC, especially now. I opine WTF are you talking about. Then some say, infer "get over it". NO, F'NO!

To the OP, if Rivian will not help you, do what you must to protect yourself.
Sponsored

Last edited:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
So, what good is it to tell an owner to go to a different SC, when 1) those are very limited 2) The response should be the SAME at every SC, especially now. I opine WTF are you talking about. Then some say, infer "get over it". NO, F'NO!
Because some SCs appear to be more lax with official corporate policy than others. Since some people were able to get the same service done at theirs.

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
Because some SCs appear to be more lax with official corporate policy than others. Since some people were able to get the same service done at theirs.
I am not a lawyer, not even in my dreams. Though God only knows I love a good argument, even when I am wrong. But, well, NO. If any Rivian rep is following this forum this should not be true. They should all be the same, especially now. In the end this could be a warranty claim, issue. then what.

BTW: I am a willing volunteer that paid for the full price. In spite of knowing otherwise, years ago...grrrr. I put a deposit on a freaking Solterra, when I could have done the same for a R1T....DOH!!! haha

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I have glanced at the 4 pages worth of feedback. I will take my time to read every response later, since I am contemplating doing a similar switch as the OP, 21's to 20's and be "covered".

Aside from many trying to, in my estimation, illogically berate the OP's decision, it seems like many did not read the part where the OP attempted to confirm the changes would be "allowed/covered under warranty". I hope "he' did for his own sake.

To the OP, if Rivian will not help you, do what you must to protect yourself.
What are you angry about? It's just how things are. Just like how you can go to one Ford dealer/service dept., be told one thing and different at another location. Humans do think, interpret rules and act on their own. Our brains are not linked via 5G to some big hive mind in the cloud.

And before you come in hot, like some self-appointed referee, start leveling accusations—while admitting you haven't read or understood everything—maybe read and understand first.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

DO NOT BUY OR INSTALL AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND TIRES!!!
RIVIAN WILL NOT CALIBRATE THIRD PARTY PACKAGES!!!

I have service chat records and conversations with Rivian service team explaining and send them the EXACT wheel and tire specs that I was installing on my R1T
PRIOR to purchasing and selling off my factory wheels and tires...

BFG KO3 275/65/20
Black Rhino Voltaic Gun metal 20"

I was told specifically that there would NOT be ANY issues recalibrating these wheels and tires.

Hence my mobile service appointment that you guys have been waiting an update on from myself for the last month...

If any of you guys have purchased these wheels I highly advise you to cancel your orders immediately and get your refunds. DO NOT proceed with buying these or ANY aftermarket wheels for these Rivians. THEY WILL NOT CALIBRATE THEM.

Black Rhino also needs to be made aware, as they are advertising these wheels all over social media!

After discussing the issues with Rivian over the phone, they are submitting all of my information received this morning to their higher ups and making it a top priority and will reach out as soon as they figure out where the mis communication when wrong and what action needs to be taken into consideration.

You HAVE to purchase and install "RIVIAN" branded wheels and tire packages to be relcalibrated only.
What do you mean by “recalibrating”, why is it important and why would Rivian even think about being responsible for this?

Sponsored

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
What are you angry about? It's just how things are. Just like how you can go to one Ford dealer/service dept., be told one thing and different at another location. Humans do think, interpret rules and act on their own. Our brains are not linked via 5G to some big hive mind in the cloud.

And before you come in hot, like some self-appointed referee, start leveling accusations—while admitting you haven't read or understood everything—maybe read and understand first.
I am bored, not angry, my R1t is covered, errrh, right now. So here we go.

How many Ford dealers could you contact for a service appointment, right now?

How many Rivian dealers could you do the same with, right now?

And as for, " It's just how things are.". Does that make it right?

And actually I officiate volleyball, but know my partner may differ , and the coaches "always do", from me.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I am bored, not angry, my R1t is covered, errrh, right now. So here we go.
Uh.. ok. TBH you sound drunk.

How many Ford dealers could you contact for a service appointment, right now?
I don't own one and have zero interest in visiting any Ford dealers. That was just an analogy. Not to be taken literally. OP may or may not have access to another SC. People don't know which way it is. They are just offering it up as a possible solution to his "crisis". Is that a crime in your judgement? I mean, seriously. What's your problem with that? And even if you disagree with them, they do have the right to express and offer help however they wish. What value are you offering here with your not-fully-informed hot take and judgement?

And actually I officiate volleyball, but know my partner may differ , and the coaches "always do", from me.
TMI

OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition Green

I don't own one and have zero interest in visiting any Ford dealers. That was just an analogy. Not to be taken literally. OP may or may not have access to another SC. People don't know which way it is. They are just offering it up as a possible solution to his "crisis". Is that a crime in your judgement? I mean, seriously. What's your problem with that? And even if you disagree with them, they do have the right to express and offer help however they wish. What value are you offering here with your not-fully-informed hot take and judgement?

TMI
Discount Tire is going to swap the 275/65/20 KO3s with 2300 miles on them with a new set of 275/60/20 KO2s free of charge. This will put the KO2s right near the original 275/55/21 size set and I can avoid the whole recalibration in general. This change decreases the total diameter of the tires by only 1/2"-3/4". Its worth a shot.
But Rivian is agreeing and submitting my arguments of receiving miscommunication and direction from the service teams over the last month or so to the higher ups. Chat discussions and conversations are being pulled and phone call recordings are also being pulled to prove they were in the wrong telling me I can purchase these aftermarket wheels and tires and also have the truck recalibrated to get better range and efficiency readings like close to factory.
Speed isnt the concern here like everyone thinks. Thats not the issue at all. Its the range.
Using 160+ miles of range when only driving 100 miles. One person, no gear or payload during the week everyday. It adds up quick and I cannot take long road trips right now.
If this is the case, there is a good change I can be refunded for the entire purchase amount.
End of story. Thats where I leave this thread.

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff

MI
I am REALLY bored, so here goes.

Just tipsy..

The OP noted their attempt to confirm an alteration to their vehicle would not violate any terms. That's how I read it.

So, let's tell the owner to drive another "x" miles away from the local SC to have service completed. With most of us KNOWING how long the "wait line IS". How does that benefit Rivian as a whole, as they expand, or I as a selfish stockholder?!

As for this, "What value are you offering here with your not-fully-informed hot take and judgement?". Are you a Rivian executive? Yes. Por favor/Plz enlighten us. No. Enough said.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I don't understand how it is using 60+% more battery for a set distance without "recalibration". Why would the battery take more without the recalibration or there be so much added inefficiency without recalibration?

I also don't see how the truck would somehow report that it can go 60+% further than it actually can once you put new tires on. The truck is going to say the same thing it said before the swap, why would it report more range?

Sure, it may get a bit less ACTUAL range than reported, but 60+%? Even if the new tires are less efficient, that is extreme.

"Recalibration" is not going to magically get more range for a long road trip, literally none. Any range loss would be due to the new wheels tires and/or misalignment or bodged install, not software.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I'm not reading through 5 pages, I'm sure others covered more extensively, but I'll simply say OP is wrong. Bellevue SC, and mobile techs, have both complemented my Ram wheels. Even during recalibration.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wil not calibrate aftermarket wheels / tires 1000008510

OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition Green
I don't understand how it is using 60+% more battery for a set distance without "recalibration". Why would the battery take more without the recalibration or there be so much added inefficiency without recalibration?

I also don't see how the truck would somehow report that it can go 60+% further than it actually can once you put new tires on. The truck is going to say the same thing it said before the swap, why would it report more range?

Sure, it may get a bit less ACTUAL range than reported, but 60+%? Even if the new tires are less efficient, that is extreme.

"Recalibration" is not going to magically get more range for a long road trip, literally none. Any range loss would be due to the new wheels tires and/or misalignment or bodged install, not software.
Because the old wheels and tires I had were 275/55/21 road tires vs the new wheels and tires 275/65/20 all terrain tires so a 1.5" increase in diameter and higher rolling resistance. The new tires are also heavier and have a higher load/speed rating for better off road performance. So the computer is still "thinking" the truck has the factory size wheels and tires. Hence why I am using more range and battery to go 100 miles.
I use ~150-160 miles of actual range to drive 100 miles. Depending on how fast I drive and the grade.
With the factory wheels and tires I was mile for mile. So I used 100 miles of range to drive 100 miles.
So the range is way worse with the new set up since they are not calibrated.
Rivian should be able to calibrate the tire size difference singe a 275/65/20 is a standard size wheel and tire package through Rivian...Most people run this size to begin with.

ScottnAZ

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T (White,BM,22’s), 1966 C10 (SB,BBW,SBC327)
Occupation
Design/Build Remodel Contractor
Clubs

This is all just hilarious! In my experience, Rivian will not calibrate OEM wheels purchased through the Rivian Gear Shop and installed by Rivian’s own mobile service team. They are trying to charge me $200 for the update! We’ve been going back and forth since August or so :oops:

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It's a fact they have been doing it for a fee at the service centers for 2 years now, with probably hundreds of them complete at this point. I agree they could make this much easier, but it's a miscommunication.
The problem is whether certain work being approved or allowed really all comes down to if the SA and manager at the SC wake up on the right side of the bed that morning. The same issue can result in a variety of responses by the different service centers across the country. We see it happening from all the individual responses on this post alone.

Utecitec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
Because the old wheels and tires I had were 275/55/21 road tires vs the new wheels and tires 275/65/20 all terrain tires so a 1.5" increase in diameter and higher rolling resistance. The new tires are also heavier and have a higher load/speed rating for better off road performance. So the computer is still "thinking" the truck has the factory size wheels and tires. Hence why I am using more range and battery to go 100 miles.
I use ~150-160 miles of actual range to drive 100 miles. Depending on how fast I drive and the grade.
With the factory wheels and tires I was mile for mile. So I used 100 miles of range to drive 100 miles.
So the range is way worse with the new set up since they are not calibrated.
Rivian should be able to calibrate the tire size difference singe a 275/65/20 is a standard size wheel and tire package through Rivian...Most people run this size to begin with.
But it will still only go 100 miles, it will just say 100 on the dash instead of 160. You aren't going to get 60% increased range from a "calibration".
Sponsored