0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition Green
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

DO NOT BUY OR INSTALL AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND TIRES!!!
RIVIAN WILL NOT CALIBRATE THIRD PARTY PACKAGES!!!

I have service chat records and conversations with Rivian service team explaining and send them the EXACT wheel and tire specs that I was installing on my R1T
PRIOR to purchasing and selling off my factory wheels and tires...

BFG KO3 275/65/20
Black Rhino Voltaic Gun metal 20"

I was told specifically that there would NOT be ANY issues recalibrating these wheels and tires.

Hence my mobile service appointment that you guys have been waiting an update on from myself for the last month...

If any of you guys have purchased these wheels I highly advise you to cancel your orders immediately and get your refunds. DO NOT proceed with buying these or ANY aftermarket wheels for these Rivians. THEY WILL NOT CALIBRATE THEM.

Black Rhino also needs to be made aware, as they are advertising these wheels all over social media!

After discussing the issues with Rivian over the phone, they are submitting all of my information received this morning to their higher ups and making it a top priority and will reach out as soon as they figure out where the mis communication when wrong and what action needs to be taken into consideration.

You HAVE to purchase and install "RIVIAN" branded wheels and tire packages to be relcalibrated only.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What is "recalibrating"? Is this a software change in the Rivian?
Its a recalibration for the change in tire size from my original 275/55/21 to 275/65/20 so the computer / battery effeciences are back to normal

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
They have recalibrated many sets of third party wheels and tires already. There is obviously a simple miscommunication occurring. Take a deep breath and remove your lawyer(s) from speed dial.

OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes they do, relax and call your guide. They don’t do these at mobile service tho has to be at a SC.
They have recalibrated many sets of third party wheels and tires already. There is obviously a simple miscommunication occurring. Take a deep breath and remove your lawyer(s) from speed dial.
I spoke with Rivians service manager this morning and he directly told me they will NOT calibrate aftermarket wheels and tires...They have to be Rivian specific wheels for them to do the work. Not sure how this can be any different anywhere else if they are all following guidelines.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Shifting the anger and contradictory statements to another aspect - it seems to me that ultimately Rivian will need to accomodate this one way or another. It's a really basic example of running afoul of the "Right To Repair" movement. Rivian is essentially denying you the "Right To Repair" (not even really "repair") your vehicle, while also potentially running afoul of vehicle mileage accuracy laws.

Come On Rivian, give us a calibration routine that uses the GPS to drive a known distance and counts the wheel revolutions. It's really that simple. Or at least release it to tire shops.

Sponsored

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
Don't throw your dolly out the pram mate... it's really not a big deal. I did this in December. They told me on the phone they wouldn't re-calibrate, but the service center told me they would (for a fee). I didn't bother. I have a GPS radar detector that shows the speed. That still matches the speedo exactly, so changing the tire didn't impact speed measurement, and no discernible impact to efficiency. I have the stock 21 ATs for summer, and 20 inch aftermarkets with snow tires for winter.

Good luck with that law suit.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So is it that the spedo is way off? For efficiency won’t that auto calibrate as you drive more and more for range estimations?

I figure changes should be mild and you’ll get used to them (for efficiency for example).

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I had my wheels recalibrated in December, and they were aftermarket. Next week I have the same recalibration on the books for the new R1S. We'll see what happens.

OP
OP
0_r1t_0

0_r1t_0

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So is it that the spedo is way off? For efficiency won’t that auto calibrate as you drive more and more for range estimations?

I figure changes should be mild and you’ll get used to them (for efficiency for example).
Im not concerned as much with the "speed". More concerned with the fact I use 160 miles of range to drive 100 miles....Thats what I want/need recalibrated.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I spoke with Rivians service manager this morning and he directly told me they will NOT calibrate aftermarket wheels and tires...They have to be Rivian specific wheels for them to do the work. Not sure how this can be any different anywhere else if they are all following guidelines.
It's a fact they have been doing it for a fee at the service centers for 2 years now, with probably hundreds of them complete at this point. I agree they could make this much easier, but it's a miscommunication.
Sponsored