First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
It will be interesting to see if Rivian's Senior Performance Test Engineer, Gardner Nichols, who will be running their R1T entry at Pikes Peak this summer, will have the factory speed limiter enabled for the run up the mountain. I would guess the truck will be running custom software to enable it to hit a higher top speed, along with lots of other modifications for safety, performance, etc. At the very least it will have some grippy tires, roll cage, containment seat etc. But I can't imagine a competitive run will be had with the factory speed limiter.

Relevant thread: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...formance-test-engineer-gardner-nichols.12244/
I look forward to seeing what tires he's running as well...
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian touts 835 HP and 0-60s so it needs to at least be competitive with its top speed. It’s doesn’t need to be higher than every thing just at least needs to competitive enough. 110 is not even average.
Hummer EV tops out at 106, Lightning at 180 km/h (111.8 mph). Hummer also hits the top speed before the end of the quarter mile but the lightning comes in just under theirs. That makes Rivian's 110 mph slightly above average.

Last edited:

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
It will be interesting to see if Rivian's Senior Performance Test Engineer, Gardner Nichols, who will be running their R1T entry at Pikes Peak this summer, will have the factory speed limiter enabled for the run up the mountain. I would guess the truck will be running custom software to enable it to hit a higher top speed, along with lots of other modifications for safety, performance, etc.
Not sure that a higher top-speed is really an issue on a "track" where the average speed to the top on a world-record run is <91mph...

The amount of time that a vehicle, even a fast one, spends over 110mph is not very long on that route.

I've only driven the road once myself so not an expert, but just saying...

EDIT: p.s., I do realize that 90mph average is blazing fast... (wasn't implying that the cars were going up that hill slowly)

Last edited:

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

If I had my fathers, I'd like the ability to turn off Regen in Towing mode. I too my boat from sea level to Lake Tahoe (over 7400' pass) and back every year and there are several places where there's 6% grades. I can just see regen kicking in when going downhill and activating (and dragging) the surge brakes on the boat trailer...it'd be nice on those sections to turn off regen so the trailer brakes can be modulated better (and not drag and melt the grease out of the hubs).
What does this have to do with top speed?

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Off the record…top speed is capped at 116 mph ( sports mode)🥳

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Not sure if someone said it but the motors have a fail safe point. I think they can’t endure speeds safely over x speed without increasing failure point exponentially.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Off the record…top speed is capped at 116 mph ( sports mode)🥳
That may be an old number...there was an update late last year that more tightly calibrated the speedo. Since then, the top speed is 110mph. Lots of posts back then with folks complaining that Rivian lowered their max speed when in reality, they just made the speedo accurately display the actual number. Do some searches - should have been November timeframe. If I find it, I'll post back here...

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not sure if someone said it but the motors have a fail safe point. I think they can’t endure speeds safely over x speed without increasing failure point exponentially.
I believe that was reported to be a little north of 150mph...

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That may be an old number...there was an update late last year that more tightly calibrated the speedo. Since then, the top speed is 110mph. Lots of posts back then with folks complaining that Rivian lowered their max speed when in reality, they just made the speedo accurately display the actual number. Do some searches - should have been November timeframe. If I find it, I'll post back here...
I’m speaking for my R1T! Believing or not, it’s ur decision. I don’t do a contest here.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m speaking for my R1T! Believing or not, it’s ur decision. I don’t do a contest here.
No need to get touchy...you do you. Apparently you have that special truck that is faster than every other R1T on the road today! Good for you man...grab another beer and relax. :CWL:

Sponsored

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No need to get touchy...you do you. Apparently you have that special truck that is faster than every other R1T on the road today! Good for you man...grab another beer and relax. :CWL:
Pfffff….🤡10PLM

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pfffff….🤡10PLM
BTW...just because your speedo shows a speed doesn't necessarily mean that's exactly how fast you're going. Especially when every review of the R1T/R1S in the last three months shows top speed of 110. But again, entirely possible your truck is special.

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
BTW...just because your speedo shows a speed doesn't necessarily mean that's exactly how fast you're going. Especially when every review of the R1T/R1S in the last three months shows top speed of 110. But again, entirely possible your truck is special.
Pffff…

IronM5

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 BMW M5 16 Mini , 22 Audi A5 Ragtop 93 Jeep Wrng
Occupation
Flenser
It's absolutely set too slow, IMHO. I'd like to at least be able to have it set for 140 or whatever the tires are rated for. I realize a lot of people say it's a truck and doesn't need to go that fast but it's supposed to be a truck that can compete or at least keep up with the average sports car or truck. At 110 mph, it can't even keep up with a base Toyota corolla or the equivalent.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
Send Rivian an email. This is an easy enough fix and something they should consider- especially since every single real car reviewer is going to do a 1/4 mile and then hammer Rivian on hitting the limiter before finishing the test...
Sponsored