Sponsored

Rivian Top Speed Too Low?

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Is it just me or is Rivian top speed too low? 112-115.
In my view, not in the least.

If anything unnecessarily high as is--it's a truck!? Would much rather trade of 20mph top speed for more torque for off-roading/towing/etc. where truck stuff actually matters (yes, despite high torque at the motors, the effective torque to the wheels is much lower with the R1T than many other conventional trucks/SUV's because of the much lower gearing).

Keyboard racing (or real life racing) quartermile times on a pick-up truck doesn't much compute for me. But to each their own, for sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
If I had my fathers, I'd like the ability to turn off Regen in Towing mode. I too my boat from sea level to Lake Tahoe (over 7400' pass) and back every year and there are several places where there's 6% grades. I can just see regen kicking in when going downhill and activating (and dragging) the surge brakes on the boat trailer...it'd be nice on those sections to turn off regen so the trailer brakes can be modulated better (and not drag and melt the grease out of the hubs).

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It's entirely possible, perhaps likely, that this particular max mph was not directly chosen, but instead is a result of a max RPM decision or other design limitation of the motors.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's entirely possible, perhaps likely, that this particular max mph was not directly chosen, but instead is a result of a max RPM decision or other design limitation of the motors.
Pre-production trucks were supposedly limited to 130 mph. I haven't heard anything about a design change for the gearbox at all, but they also don't have to warranty pre-production trucks for 175k miles like the customer vehicles.

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If I had my fathers, I'd like the ability to turn off Regen in Towing mode. I too my boat from sea level to Lake Tahoe (over 7400' pass) and back every year and there are several places where there's 6% grades. I can just see regen kicking in when going downhill and activating (and dragging) the surge brakes on the boat trailer...it'd be nice on those sections to turn off regen so the trailer brakes can be modulated better (and not drag and melt the grease out of the hubs).
I also wish adaptive cruise would work while towing. Even when I have just my bike rack attached to the 7 pin it thinks I’m towing and disables it. Such a bummer on long drives.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Funny thing this video came out today and they mentioned the limiter as a limitation a few times. It’s still quick!…but needs a lil more MPH to secure its victories. Given enough distance many regular cars would pass the Rivian. I would hate to have to constantly say in my Rivian “I lost the drag race and the long stretch but at least I beat you off the line” 😅

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I'm curious, has anyone tried to max the speed out on drift mode or rally mode? I'm curious since those are "offroad" modes maybe it will bump it up, doubtful but maybe.

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Can't comment to the top speed, not sure I want to go that fast, but regen is just a thing to get used to. We already have a tesla from 2021 so we were already primed for one pedal driving. I still do find I have to feather a bit sometimes when I want to slow down in a "coast" way, still need to find the right amount of pressure sometimes.
It’s hard for to fine tune that skill since I drive an ICE truck everyday for work and drive the Rivian home. So my EV adaptation is taking longer to get honed in. So I need more practice.

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I'm 100% with you that the top speed should be 130 to match the tires. However the regen braking is just you. With 1-pedal driving you have to get used to not taking your foot off the pedal unless it is a full brake situation. I was already used to it to some degree growing up driving manuals. I would like a button you could press to briefly disengage the regen (like a clutch) so i can adjust my foot while driving without bucking the car, but otherwise I love 1 pedal driving.

Edited to add that I know I could just engage cruise, but the times I often find myself shifting my foot are in traffic where a neutral situation would be preferable to cruise.
Yeah that’s would be good to temp switch off regen for different scenarios. I find that just trying to reposition my foot on the go pedal for comfort causes the truck to brake as well. Hoping they develop a regen off/coast mode soon.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Rivian built a performance vehicle, therefore, it's going to be judged against anything similar. I'm not big into bragging rights but I also would like to be able to get a real trap speed and E.T., because that's how you can compare performance with other vehicles and extrapolate power. It's certainly not an issue with power to weight ratio (these things pull right up to the limit) and the tires have some leeway. The brakes are massive, worst case, repeated runs might fade and you have regen to help. The drive unit cooling seems simpler than a Tesla (splash cooled vs. pressurized) but I don't know that's a factor. It's probably just a combination of things and an overall conservative approach.
Rivian touts 835 HP and 0-60s so it needs to at least be competitive with its top speed. It’s doesn’t need to be higher than every thing just at least needs to competitive enough. 110 is not even average.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
112-115 plenty fast.
The actual limited speed is 110mph with a recent OTA update. 112-115 was simply not accurate and Rivian tightened up speedo tolerances. 110 max...and anyone on a track will hit max limits before finishing the race. Quite frustrating from a $100k performance vehicle IMHO...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I think it's mostly based on the speed rating for the AT tires. T rated tires should only go up to 118mph. Add to that the extra weight of the R1T and they probably decided to lower the speed a bit more.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I think it's mostly based on the speed rating for the AT tires. T rated tires should only go up to 118mph. Add to that the extra weight of the R1T and they probably decided to lower the speed a bit more.
All stock Rivian tires are H rated (=130mph).

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

It will be interesting to see if Rivian's Senior Performance Test Engineer, Gardner Nichols, who will be running their R1T entry at Pikes Peak this summer, will have the factory speed limiter enabled for the run up the mountain. I would guess the truck will be running custom software to enable it to hit a higher top speed, along with lots of other modifications for safety, performance, etc. At the very least it will have some grippy tires, roll cage, containment seat etc. But I can't imagine a competitive run will be had with the factory speed limiter.

Relevant thread: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...formance-test-engineer-gardner-nichols.12244/
Sponsored