First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
The 491 is the actual result achieved on the dyno test.
Numbers are "derated" by a standard 30% (multiply x .7) to better reflect real world results.

If the manufacturer elects to use the 5-cycle test, they can apply a different value with sufficient documentation. Rivian uses 28% for the R1T and 30% for the R1S from the raw (unadjusted) test results.
What's the dyno test? How did the vehicle go 491 miles on a charge? That's great.
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Hmm. Actually find this a little troubling.

For me, "cold weather" amounts to mountain driving, which often means accumulated snow on the roads. So I'm going to take a nasty hit from the cold, a nasty hit for the AT (3PMSF) tires, and a nasty hit for staying out of conserve mode because it seems pretty dumb to choose 2WD when plowing through snow...

Anybody want to venture a guess as to the actual range capacity with cold weather AND the AT tires AND using (at least) all-purpose mode? Really need to get 200+ miles but a 40% hit due to cold alone means that's impossible? No bueno.
Cold weather knocks range, but in my Model 3, snow takes it to the absurde.

Here is a drive I logged during a snowstorm last winter. The roads were covered in 2-4 inches of fresh (all 2-4" had fallen within the last hour) snow.

Consumption was a massive 813 wh/mile. At that level of consumption, my 310 miles of EPA range was only actually good for around 90 miles in the snow.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian technical nuggets gleaned from EPA application docs Screenshot 2021-09-28 2.42.31 PM

Note it was 16F at the time. My average consumption 16F weather is around 350 wh/mile. So the snow more than doubled the already elevated cold weather consumption.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian technical nuggets gleaned from EPA application docs Screenshot 2021-09-28 2.40.14 PM

Last edited:

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Cold weather knocks range, but in my Model 3, snow takes it to the absurde.

Here is a drive I logged during a snowstorm last winter. The roads were covered in 2-4 inches of fresh snow.

Consumption was a massive 813 wh/mile. At that level of consumption, my 310 miles of EPA range was only actually good for around 90 miles in the snow.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 2.42.31 PM.png

Note it was 16F at the time. My average consumption 16F weather is around 350 wh/mile. So the snow more than doubled the already elevated cold weather consumption.

Screenshot 2021-09-28 2.40.14 PM.png
Yikes. What kind of tires?

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Also, it's not like 2WD is a death sentence in winter. Most cars are 2WD and they do fine.
Tooling around a plowed city street is fine but It is close to a death sentence when crossing the mountain pass on I-80 through the Sierras in the middle of a snow storm.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
WTF I want to know is how is a truck more efficient than a shorter and theoretically less weight SUV. Did we ever get that answer?
I suspect it's aerodynamics. With the bed cover, the air tapers off better on the rear of the truck than the blunt tail of the SUV, leaving it more efficient due to less drag.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
What's the dyno test? How did the vehicle go 491 miles on a charge? That's great.
Wind resistance isn't factored in on the dyno since it's just sitting on stationary rollers. Pretty sure that's the bulk of the correction factor applied, especially since these are blocky vehicles.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Hmm. Actually find this a little troubling.

For me, "cold weather" amounts to mountain driving, which often means accumulated snow on the roads. So I'm going to take a nasty hit from the cold, a nasty hit for the AT (3PMSF) tires, and a nasty hit for staying out of conserve mode because it seems pretty dumb to choose 2WD when plowing through snow...

Anybody want to venture a guess as to the actual range capacity with cold weather AND the AT tires AND using (at least) all-purpose mode? Really need to get 200+ miles but a 40% hit due to cold alone means that's impossible? No bueno.
For me cold weather is -30.
And most of my long distance driving happens in winter. Will be interesting to see how truckasaurus Rivian does

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Wind resistance isn't factored in on the dyno since it's just sitting on stationary rollers. Pretty sure that's the bulk of the correction factor applied, especially since these are blocky vehicles.
Wind resistance is factored in when configuring the dyno settings:
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian technical nuggets gleaned from EPA application docs 1632861342984

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
For me cold weather is -30.
And most of my long distance driving happens in winter. Will be interesting to see how truckasaurus Rivian does
Sounds like you might to need to mount a lightening rod to the top

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
The 491 is the actual result achieved on the dyno test.
Numbers are "derated" by a standard 30% (multiply x .7) to better reflect real world results.

If the manufacturer elects to use the 5-cycle test, they can apply a different value with sufficient documentation. Rivian uses 28% for the R1T and 30% for the R1S from the raw (unadjusted) test results.

thank you and that makes sense then for drag through the air, etc

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
So All purpose mode would get a little less range than Conserve but more than Sport .
Sponsored