roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
All of the Cold weather data is for the CITY (UDDS) portion only
No data is available for hwy or the combined rating.

City 20 degrees - Conserve mode - adjusted range = 259 (actual test result = 357)
City 70 degrees - Conserve mode - adjusted range = 355 (actual test result = 491)

what?
Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Hmm. Actually find this a little troubling.

For me, "cold weather" amounts to mountain driving, which often means accumulated snow on the roads. So I'm going to take a nasty hit from the cold, a nasty hit for the AT (3PMSF) tires, and a nasty hit for staying out of conserve mode because it seems pretty dumb to choose 2WD when plowing through snow...

Anybody want to venture a guess as to the actual range capacity with cold weather AND the AT tires AND using (at least) all-purpose mode? Really need to get 200+ miles but a 40% hit due to cold alone means that's impossible? No bueno.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
  • Cold Weather (20 degrees F) phase (performed on the City cycle only):
    Conserve mode = -27%
    Sport Mode = -57%
20F is not all that cold. How much of a hit do you get at -20F?

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
I'm a dummy, so please be patient with me...

Does the impact of the cold effect the range the entire time you're driving the vehicle, or just as it's "warming up"? I'm think about my specific use case in that...My garage in Denver stays somewhat warm even on cold days - say 40 degree. But, If I'm driving up to Breckenridge where it's 20 degrees or zero degrees am I going to be paying the cold penalty even though I started and got the vehicle warm prior to hitting those extreme temperatures? Or is the impact much reduced?

Sorry if that's a confusing question.
not a dummy....i share the same question.....

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
That would mean if you stick to conserve mode in winter you'd have ~244mi range? Not too bad, but adding in AT tires and Rivian's recommended 70% charge threshold for daily driving it's less than ideal.
Am I the only one who thinks it would be bonkers to switch an AWD vehicle to 2WD in the winter??? Don't you guys occasionally get snow up there in New England? ;)

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Towing aside, I wonder what the lowest range you could get is.

Winter + Sport Mode + Offroad package + AT tires + Min Regen + ???

It's the all new Rivian Range-Killer Challenge!
AKA "go skiing".

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Hmm, rated horsepower listed at 872 for both R1S and R1T according to the docs.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech

Does the impact of the cold effect the range the entire time you're driving the vehicle, or just as it's "warming up"? I'm think about my specific use case in that...My garage in Denver stays somewhat warm even on cold days - say 40 degree. But, If I'm driving up to Breckenridge where it's 20 degrees or zero degrees am I going to be paying the cold penalty even though I started and got the vehicle warm prior to hitting those extreme temperatures? Or is the impact much reduced?

This is just an 80-mile trip so what is the concern? (FWIW, I'm worried about Denver <-> Aspen, which is 200 miles...)

Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
All of the Cold weather data is for the CITY (UDDS) portion only
No data is available for hwy or the combined rating.

City 20 degrees - Conserve mode - adjusted range = 259 (actual test result = 357)
City 70 degrees - Conserve mode - adjusted range = 355 (actual test result = 491)
Wait, so if it is 70 degrees conserve mode range should be 355 with 21 " wheels? What is the 491 number?

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Am I the only one who thinks it would be bonkers to switch an AWD vehicle to 2WD in the winter??? Don't you guys occasionally get snow up there in New England? ;)
Sure, but we're also good at keeping the roads plowed. If I were driving directly on snow or I were driving through an active blizzard, I'd for sure enable some more appropriate drive mode. I was just thinking about best-case scenarios for winter driving and if there was serious snow to drive through, you probably wouldn't be needing max range anyway.

Also, it's not like 2WD is a death sentence in winter. Most cars are 2WD and they do fine.

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

Test procedures cold soak the vehicle for 12-36 hours at the 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C).
Cabin conditioning set to 72 degrees F on auto for all seating positions
Test is performed at a constant 20 (+/- 1) degrees F.

How that relates to your (or any specific) real world use - ????

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Wait, so if it is 70 degrees conserve mode range should be 355 with 21 " wheels? What is the 491 number?
The 491 is the actual result achieved on the dyno test.
Numbers are "derated" by a standard 30% (multiply x .7) to better reflect real world results.

If the manufacturer elects to use the 5-cycle test, they can apply a different value with sufficient documentation. Rivian uses 28% for the R1T and 30% for the R1S from the raw (unadjusted) test results.
Sponsored