OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So All purpose mode would get a little less range than Conserve but more than Sport .
I think my guess would be closer to Sport than Conserve (unless it automatically drops into conserve mode when appropriate - including lowering the ride height).
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wind resistance is factored in when configuring the dyno settings:
1632861342984.png
@DucRider Curious if you saw a drag coefficient value for the R1T or R1S in this data you found? I did not see any and was curious how they would determine these number or if they are simple calculations of frontal area.

I've seen numbers for the Jeep GC anywhere from .37 to .39 and was curious how the Rivian compared to these.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Don't care, not leaving the house! Could be biased living in the South though...
Same. I don't think I'm leaving the house except in a true emergency if it's below 20F, but then again, the average number of days per year we get below 20F in Atlanta can probably be counted on one hand. And even that is going to only be first thing in the morning before sunrise as the lowest temp of the whole day.

WTF I want to know is how is a truck more efficient than a shorter and theoretically less weight SUV. Did we ever get that answer?
My guess is they're essentially identical but there's a tiny bit of random noise in the tests. The weight is pretty close between the two. The aerodynamics are probably pretty similar, considering they share essentially identical front ends and dimensions except for length.

Also, I don't think length is much of a factor in Cd for cars. I know boats with a longer hull length are actually faster than an equivalent boat with a shorter hull length because the bow and stern waves are further apart. I don't know if the same effect occurs with the fluid dynamics of air being pushed around a car, but I assume it would, even if at a lower significance.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Test procedures cold soak the vehicle for 12-36 hours at the 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C).
Cabin conditioning set to 72 degrees F on auto for all seating positions
Test is performed at a constant 20 (+/- 1) degrees F.

How that relates to your (or any specific) real world use - ????
Yea, this doesn’t seem that relevant to an I-70 ski trip in Colorado. I suspect you wouldn’t experience that stated drop in range if you preconditioned the vehicle while plugged-in inside your garage.

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
@DucRider Curious if you saw a drag coefficient value for the R1T or R1S in this data you found? I did not see any and was curious how they would determine these number or if they are simple calculations of frontal area.

I've seen numbers for the Jeep GC anywhere from .37 to .39 and was curious how the Rivian compared to these.
No drag coefficient is listed.
Manufacturer supplies these numbers, but not the calculations behind them. IMHO, this is an area that Tesla pushes a bit more aggressively. I haven't paid to download the full test specs/procedures so I can only glean info from what the various manufacturers have provided in their applications (not all use the same format or provide the same info - Tesla includes only the UDDS and hwy test data and not the other parts of the 5-cycle test like the Cold Weather portion)
The coastdown test supplies part of the calculation numbers. Tesla specifies placing their vehicles in a special "Coastdown mode" that does at least a few things that would yield a better result than under normal usage. But for the most part, how manufacturers arrive at the settings for the dyno is hidden from the public.

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Wind resistance is factored in when configuring the dyno settings:
1632861342984.png
So, the ~30% reduction is for things like hvac, lighting, hills, etc?

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Am I the only one who thinks it would be bonkers to switch an AWD vehicle to 2WD in the winter??? Don't you guys occasionally get snow up there in New England? ;)
We do, but they also know how to plow. Lol

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer

In one of the videos today, it was mentioned 0.3... not sure of this is official though

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Hmm. Actually find this a little troubling.

For me, "cold weather" amounts to mountain driving, which often means accumulated snow on the roads. So I'm going to take a nasty hit from the cold, a nasty hit for the AT (3PMSF) tires, and a nasty hit for staying out of conserve mode because it seems pretty dumb to choose 2WD when plowing through snow...

Anybody want to venture a guess as to the actual range capacity with cold weather AND the AT tires AND using (at least) all-purpose mode? Really need to get 200+ miles but a 40% hit due to cold alone means that's impossible? No bueno.
My thoughts exactly. 40% hit in cold weather isn’t encouraging for me

Reactions: Rad

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Test procedures cold soak the vehicle for 12-36 hours at the 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C).
Cabin conditioning set to 72 degrees F on auto for all seating positions
Test is performed at a constant 20 (+/- 1) degrees F.

How that relates to your (or any specific) real world use - ????
I imagine a lot of people will precondition their vehicle while it’s still plugged in the garage

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
For me cold weather is -30.
And most of my long distance driving happens in winter. Will be interesting to see how truckasaurus Rivian does
Curious. Does this have you rethinking your order. This Minnesotan is a bit concerned

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I guess the cabin temp is going to run a little cooler and heated seats will be used. You don’t need 72 degrees with northern blood. Heck we leave our house at 67 in the winter?‍♂ The Smart BMS doesn’t appear to be as smart as I hoped ?

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Curious. Does this have you rethinking your order. This Minnesotan is a bit concerned
Not even a tiny bit. As it sits our primary car(focus RS) has worse range than the R1T “regular” battery.

That said, I am getting the max pack, to lengthen the legs some.

on a long trip we usually end up stopping every 2-4 hours anyway. So I’m not worried.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Not even a tiny bit. As it sits our primary car(focus RS) has worse range than the R1T “regular” battery.

That said, I am getting the max pack, to lengthen the legs some.

on a long trip we usually end up stopping every 2-4 hours anyway. So I’m not worried.
Really didn’t want to spend 10 k on the max pack. May have to rethink that

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Really didn’t want to spend 10 k on the max pack. May have to rethink that
It’s only money, the bank has lots!

smaller one is probably fine, just means more stops.

But I drive across Saskatchewan a lot and I treat it like driving through the bad part of town at night. Don’t stop if you don’t have to and don’t slow down ??
Sponsored