Sponsored

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
I just used the pad for two 120 mile round trips in the mountains on some winding roads and had no issues with the strap coming loose on the bike. My process - unlocking the clip, putting on the bike, folding the velcro strap first, then locking the clips and tightening the straps. Maybe the velcro helps hold the strap in place and prevents it from getting loose? I don't know but mine has stayed tight so far.
Sponsored

flynavy987

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’ve tried folding the Velcro first. It helps on that side but the other side just pulls out after the first bump. Just wondering if I’m doing it wrong or if mine is super loose.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
So I finally got a chance to use mine today and it took me a while to figure out how to make the straps work where the bike doesn’t fall over. I took a few pics but the video that rivian posted when they announced these shows you where to put the straps. It’s higher up than you would think.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) IMG_2805

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) IMG_2804

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Put two bikes on the pad and drive from OC to Lake Arrowhead and the bikes didn’t budge. Great product.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've used this pad now for a few months and lots of bike trips. What I really LOVE about the pad is it literally fits like a glove, was designed for the R1T, has plenty of padding, is well made, and is SO easy to take on and off - much easier than any other pad before it. I also love that you can see the light bar through the mesh - nice touch. It's durable and seems like it will last a long time.

What I don't like about it? The straps. For the life of me I can't understand why Rivian over-engineered these things. Straps should not require any explanation to put on correctly. I have to explain to EVERY person who tries to use them how to put them on correctly. And even when done correctly, they still come loose and the bikes can tip over. The whole clip with the velcro thing with the pull straps is totally overcomplicated - and it doesn't even work well. Is it good enough? Sure, but I wish they were more secure. Has ANYONE else figured how to be able to have BOTH sides fully secure when you pull up? Because I have not and don't think its possible - 1 side yes, both sides no.

My old pad never had any issues with velcro straps - why not just these?!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) 1698029908280

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) 1698029924500

Sponsored

Aonach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - Rivian Blue
Quick post to say I really like this product from Rivian. Custom fit. Looks great. Bikes are secure.

I really don't get the issues people have w the straps. They work great and are simple. My whole family has no issues w them.

For the money, it's a great product and solution. We take far more bike trips since grabbing bikes and going is far easier than messing w bike racks.

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Good afternoon all.

Please don't take this question to mean I am anal about my truck or being sarcastic. I have just never had a tailgate pad (have a yakima hitch mount rack currently), but am looking for a more convenient way to haul three bikes to the beach.

1). Is the padding sufficient to keep the bikes from scratching the paint or causing a small dent or something to that effect? I have not seen one in person, but the picture makes it look like the padding is pretty thin.

2). It looks like it is mesh over the tail light. Would there be a risk of scratching the tail light bar through the mesh?

3). Once the initial setup is done, is it pretty quick to uninstall and reinstall?

4). Would I be able to fit two fat bikes (small frame. 16" I think) and a beach cruiser?

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Again, I am not anal about the paint on my truck, but want to be careful to not use a product that could easily lead to a scratch, especially when i already have a hitch mount.

Best

Adam

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I really don't get the issues people have w the straps. They work great and are simple. My whole family has no issues w them.
put bikes on. Fasten straps. Pull up on the straps or the bike and the straps loosen/bikes come loose. Pretty simple. Pad is awesome, straps suck. They don’t lock down. Are mine defective? I’ll post a video.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Good afternoon all.

Please don't take this question to mean I am anal about my truck or being sarcastic. I have just never had a tailgate pad (have a yakima hitch mount rack currently), but am looking for a more convenient way to haul three bikes to the beach.

1). Is the padding sufficient to keep the bikes from scratching the paint or causing a small dent or something to that effect? I have not seen one in person, but the picture makes it look like the padding is pretty thin.

2). It looks like it is mesh over the tail light. Would there be a risk of scratching the tail light bar through the mesh?

3). Once the initial setup is done, is it pretty quick to uninstall and reinstall?

4). Would I be able to fit two fat bikes (small frame. 16" I think) and a beach cruiser?

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Again, I am not anal about the paint on my truck, but want to be careful to not use a product that could easily lead to a scratch, especially when i already have a hitch mount.

Best

Adam
  1. Personally I find the padding to be more than sufficient. But it might depend on the bike and the stem/downtube configuration. I have a (very) heavy Specialized Levo Alloy EMTB. The pad has a "cup" for each of 4 bikes that fits the Levo downtube perfectly. This places the weight (52lb bike!) on the top rail (black "plastic") of the tailgate. The front wheel rests on the vertical part of the pad as bikes do on all bike pads. I have no worries about dents; certainly no more than any other I've seen.
  2. I don't think there is any worry from abrasion from the mesh to the light. The padding above and below the mesh is such as there is no weight on the taillight/mesh; at least with my bike.
  3. With the initial set-up done it is a perhaps 2-5 minutes to pull off the shelf in the garage and install. A breeze.
  4. I can't answer definitively as to what might fit. But I suspect the three you mention would be just fine for *me*.
I suppose whether the Rivian pad is for you or not depends on what you are trying to change/gain with respect to the hitch mount you already have. The risk that you might not like it seems minimal (to me). I'm sure you could buy and resell in southern California for at least 50-75% if you found it lacking.

BTW - I don't find that the straps suck, but I appreciate that this is perhaps relative to the matrix of user/bike/road.

Best $200 I've spent on the Rivian accessories.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
put bikes on. Fasten straps. Pull up on the straps or the bike and the straps loosen/bikes come loose. Pretty simple. Pad is awesome, straps suck. They don’t lock down. Are mine defective? I’ll post a video.
I just re-read this thread having used my tailgate pad for the first time yesterday and am in the same boat even after following the instructions here and from Rivian: my non-velco side (right) straps loosen super easy and the bikes fall over even just driving around town for a few miles.

Any updates on good videos to ensure I’m not missing something or to help determine if my straps are defective somehow?

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Anyone used the Rivian bike pad or any other while towing a trailer? If so, what trailer and how close was the clearence?

Dotruck

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future R1T
Occupation
Tech
I just re-read this thread having used my tailgate pad for the first time yesterday and am in the same boat even after following the instructions here and from Rivian: my non-velco side (right) straps loosen super easy and the bikes fall over even just driving around town for a few miles.

Any updates on good videos to ensure I’m not missing something or to help determine if my straps are defective somehow?
I totally agree. I came hear to the forum planning to post this exact comment. I put a couple bikes on last the tailpad weekend and feel like straps don't hold any tension. I can literally pull my bike straight up with mild force and the straps just slide loose. I ended up tying the straps in a knot and putting a safety pin through them cause I didn't trust it. Are ours defective or are people comfortable with really loose bikes? I personally don't want my light carbon fibre bike flying off the tailpad going down the highway.
Sponsored