A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
You are correct, our R1T manual discourages tow charging. Our engineers have determined it could damage both vehicles.
I strongly suspect that for "engineers" we should insert "lawyers".

CommodoreAmiga

Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Regarding towing: So the only approved method is a flatbed. No flat towing, no tow-charging. Would someone going to the demo drive this week please ask — so, what exactly are the front tow hooks for? Just for flatbed winching? Otherwise just decorative? Enlighten me.
I can't speak to the R1T, but I've used front tow hooks both to help pull other people out of stuck situations, and also seen them used to pull a vehicle out of a small ditch. If you have LONG items on the roof rack (such as a kayak) you can also use them to attach tie-down rope.

When towing any distance you'll want to flat-bed. But if you need to go a SHORT distance (100' or less, perhaps) and you're going to do it SLOWLY (<4mph I think is mentioned in the manual, iirc) then you may need to use the recovery hooks. "Gotta do what you gotta do" right?

Speedrye

Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
What's the purpose for the dual 12v batteries instead of just one? They look skinny like a UPS battery backup. They li-ion as well?

Based on being able to charge just one, or either, they're both 12v, and not two 6v or 24v run in series or parallel.

Shown on pages 167-168.

timesinks

Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4, FJ, Sprinter
What's the purpose for the dual 12v batteries instead of just one? They look skinny like a UPS battery backup. They li-ion as well?

Based on being able to charge just one, or either, they're both 12v, and not two 6v or 24v run in series or parallel.

Shown on pages 167-168.
I was wondering the same. My guess is to have the capacity to be winch-ready. There's no alternator (in an ICE, you'd be idling the engine when winching), and it's unlikely the DC-DC converter is a suitable replacement for one for that kind of a load.

crashmtb

Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I was wondering the same. My guess is to have the capacity to be winch-ready. There's no alternator (in an ICE, you'd be idling the engine when winching), and it's unlikely the DC-DC converter is a suitable replacement for one for that kind of a load.
definitely 2 12v batteries for packaging reasons. A single one would be too bulky

PastyPilgrim

Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not too surprised about tow charging since I always thought it looked incredibly dangerous.

I've never pulled someone from a ditch, but I'd think it would be way easier to do if attached at the front though because then you can clearly see rope tension and how the other vehicle is responding to the pull. I have needed to be pulled from a snow ditch once and the guy pulling me almost pulled me into another truck that stopped to help because he couldn't see very well.

Smithery

Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X 100D, Volvo XC70, Mini Cooper JCW, R1T Max
Photos were mentioned. Blueassassin and GIJoe each posted some nice ones.
7F033D80-DAC8-420D-AD54-579ACACFECD0.jpeg
1A5A80AC-4CF8-4123-8123-86F6C5B6C617.jpeg
Super happy to see the split in the seat lift.

I'd assumed that since I'll be in carseat hell, I wouldn't be able to access the undersea storage.

By the time I get my truck one of my kids will be out of their carseat, and therefore his side will be the "lift to access storage" side, even though the other side will remain encumbered by a carseat.

staples

Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero FXS, Tesla Y
I've never pulled someone from a ditch, but I'd think it would be way easier to do if attached at the front though because then you can clearly see rope tension and how the other vehicle is responding to the pull.
Are you forgetting about the two cameras facing backwards? I'd hope you could pull those up and see things like rope tension and how the towed vehicle is doing.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Can I add a drain plug and some simple insulation ??
Can you or should you? Insulate away but unless you can be more specific about your drain plug idea I imagine your going to be doing a lot of unrepairable damage (and perhaps electrocuting yourself) along the way as I am pretty sure going down will lead you to the battery pack. Their is reportedly already a drain plug in the space where the spare tire resides.

Advertisement

Advertisement