Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
For fun because it stopped at 151kw I am wondering if @TFLtommy will you be doing one more DCFC test on a different charger to see if EA MAYBE was throttling for some odd reason.
He said they tried it another time after a towing test and pulled 150 kw/h.
Sponsored

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oof. Lots of electric, lots of 4x4
Occupation
Reviewer
Tbh, I kind of suspect it's either the battery not being warm enough for whatever reason. Or EA shenanigans on a specific piece of hardware.
Well both sessions were on 2 different 350kW EA stations in two different cities.

The second session was after towing over 8,000 lbs up and down 7% highway grades for multiple hours so i’d be surprised if the pack was too cold.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Well both sessions were on 2 different 350kW EA stations in two different cities.

The second session was after towing over 8,000 lbs up and down 7% highway grades for multiple hours so i’d be surprised if the pack was too cold.
Different charger manufacturers?

You saying it peaked at 150 after towing is the very odd result to me. Mostly based on some owner feedback. Obviously that's what you guys saw/ pulled. It's just weird. Which isn't unusual for me vehicles with EA.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
40+ minutes from 20% to 80% charge seems like a long time to be sitting at a service centre or a charge station while on an extended road trip. Given that it was a 350kw charger and the truck accepts 200kW, I thought I heard that it would charge in 20 mins and not double that amount. Am I incorrect in assuming this?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Out of morbid curiosity, have you tried logging a curve from a 150kw charger?

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Wondering if they set the car to pre-condition by navigating to a charger etc or even pre-condition from mobile app.
Rivian currently does not have pre-conditioning in their navigation or app.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
While range is king and charging speed is a close second, at least this test seems to show it charges similarly to the updated curve on my Mach E. This has shown to be “fast enough“ in the admittedly few times I have needed DCFC.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
@TFLtommy Good stuff. Thanks for the real world info. It's nice to see real world data vs marketing data.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
40+ minutes from 20% to 80% charge seems like a long time to be sitting at a service centre or a charge station while on an extended road trip. Given that it was a 350kw charger and the truck accepts 200kW, I thought I heard that it would charge in 20 mins and not double that amount. Am I incorrect in assuming this?
No. Rivian needs to, at minimum, work on consistency. But I also suspect that referencing 140miles in 20 minutevalue is from like 10 to 55%. Educated guess, but I suspect that "the curve" is supposed to be nearly flat from a very low SOC to where @TFLtommy saw it start slowing down. The chargingsession is slower than I would expect, but it's not twice as slow over this range.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I asked the development team about preconditioning via nav and they said it doesn’t have an impact.
That is really hard to believe. Not they said, this, just doesn't hold water in many circumstances.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
60% charge should take about 60% of an hour i.e. 36 minutes. It took him 40. OTOH Rivian indicates that sometimes you will take 27. It depends on many things.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
... but I suspect that "the curve" is supposed to be nearly flat from a very low SOC to where @TFLtommy saw it start slowing down. The chargingsession is slower than I would expect, but it's not twice as slow over this range.
That's generally true. The boundaries of the envelope taper at higher charge levels.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
As I have stated here and elsewhere ther is no single charging curve and so Rivian could not have supplied it. If the published the most optimistic curve they would get dinged when people didn't realize it and if they posted the worst they would be criticized for not having mastered charging.

= 1.34C. Under good conditions I am sure people will see this kind of performance.

Absolutely!
AJ, I totally understand what you're stating. But, I also get frustrated with Rivian in their lack of wanting to share any information with customers. As it's now 2022 and most of this truck's development was done prior to 2018, it will look like an old device quickly.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Glad to see a test like this, even though it seemed to take longer to charge than I would expect. I guess with the cold weather it can help me with what to expect. I am also expecting 20%-80% charge times, maybe after time I will feel more comfortable going down to 10%. I don't want an "ideal" charge curve, I want a realistic one, and this seems to be one (at least for EA from a 350kw station).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is really hard to believe. Not they said, this, just doesn't hold water in many circumstances.
I don't have any reason not to believe Tommy. Butit's not clear if they're saying it didn't matter because it doesn't precondition.
Sponsored