Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Very disappointing results and would have liked to see 0-100%.

Peak speed was 151 kw. Took 41 min from 20-80%. The curve is not very impressive either with a big taper by 80% all the way down to 51 kw.

The range in the cold weather seems decent but we don’t know where they were driving and at what speed. Showed 215 miles at 80%.

Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hopefully this is attributed at least in part to software as a result of the newness of the RT1 and lack of real world data on battery and system degradation.

Also hopefully we’ll get some of the charge curve YouTubers to weigh in

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Very disappointing results and would have liked to see 0-100%.
I agree, this charging performance is not encouraging. We really wanted to replace our Model S 85D (we only get ~250 miles of range these days) for long trips, but between the max pack being suspended and the charging being so much slower, it doesn't sound like this is going to be an improvement over what we're used to.

We rarely get above 100kW on the Model S anymore—mostly due to Tesla crippling older 85kWh batteries—but even so, we usually only need to charge about 15-30 minutes to get going again. That usually brings us back up to a high enough SoC to feel confident about the next leg. It looks like we'll be seeing almost the same charging time for the large-pack Rivian.

Now there's still a chance they'll unlock 200kW charging, and then we'll see a jump in charging speeds.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
To everyone that hated on TFL, this is why people like myself wanted them to get an R1T. Rivian could have provided charge curves at inception and yet continues to only state 140 miles in 20 minutes. Of the numerous Youtube testers, Motor Trend, Edmonds, etc. no one has done a towing test, no one has provided charging curves, etc. Thank you TFL for getting us real-world data. That being said, I may need to switch back to my Max pack. Rivian will be behind very soon if they don't get 300+ kWh charging ability. Rivan has been testing this truck for years now and has tons of ex-Tesla employees, how did they miss battery pre-conditioning for road trips?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not surprised TFL didn't get a proper curve. At all. They haven't been able to on any video I've seen that I can recall.

Of you're concerned by this, I've had multiple owners tell they've seem 180 and 190kw.

To me, this is a fairly low value data point, and I'll still be waiting for InsideEVs to do a charging test and range test.

Edit: this sounds more critical than I intended it. It's a real world data point, I'm just dubious that it's the best we will see from the R1T. Not saying Tommy ran a bad test himself, but that I'm not convinced there's enough experience on their end with charging on EA with newly delivered vehicles to identify if/when something isn't performing "as it should" in an "ideal" situation. Basically my confidence in EA soon after a model has started shipping is very low. As well as the observed issues with specific charger models that EA has. For example, IIRC, the Polestar 2 and Volvo XC40 just flat didn't work with the signet chargers at launch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I agree, this charging performance is not encouraging.
On a different day at a different station he'll get a different charging curve. That's one of the main things I want people to understand. There is no single charging curve attached to the R1T. There is a family and, of course, they fit into an envelope but as the man says in the video what you get on a particular day depends on a lot of things.

Overall you should expect, in the 20 - 80% band about 1C. Thus it should take about 36 minutes to go from 20 to 80. It took him longer (his average realized rate was 0.84C). That's how it goes sometimes. The general observation that charging in the lower SoC region is plain from the curve he got. He maxed at 1.1C and wound up at 0.38C as he approached 80%.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Now there's still a chance they'll unlock 200kW charging, and then we'll see a jump in charging speeds.
It's there, there's bugging to unlock. TFL just doesn't have the experience to get a "ideal " curve on a test yet.

But it is a real world data point. Rivian probably needs to clean up something in their software.

Last edited:

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oof. Lots of electric, lots of 4x4
Occupation
Reviewer
Not surprised TFL didn't get a proper curve. At all. They haven't been able to on any video I've seen that I cam recall.

Of you're concerned by this, I've had multiple owners tell they've seem 180 and 190kw.

To me, this is a fairly low value data point, and I'll still be waiting for InsideEVs to do a charging test and range test.
I appreciate the feedback (i’ve seen lots of it on this forum) and say what you want but we DO have tons of experience in towing and off-road environments.

On our rocky mountain towing test quickest rate was 150kW as well from 15%.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Not surprised TFL didn't get a proper curve. At all. They haven't been able to on any video I've seen that I cam recall.

Wondering if they set the car to pre-condition by navigating to a charger etc or even pre-condition from mobile app.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Oof. Lots of electric, lots of 4x4
Occupation
Reviewer
Wondering if they set the car to pre-condition by navigating to a charger etc or even pre-condition from mobile app.
I asked the development team about preconditioning via nav and they said it doesn’t have an impact.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
To everyone that hated on TFL, this is why people like myself wanted them to get an R1T. Rivian could have provided charge curves at inception
As I have stated here and elsewhere ther is no single charging curve and so Rivian could not have supplied it. If the published the most optimistic curve they would get dinged when people didn't realize it and if they posted the worst they would be criticized for not having mastered charging.

...and yet continues to only state 140 miles in 20 minutes.
= 1.34C. Under good conditions I am sure people will see this kind of performance.

Thank you TFL for getting us real-world data.
Absolutely!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I asked the development team about preconditioning via nav and they said it doesn’t have an impact.

Wow Interesting! Thanks for the reply and the video!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
To everyone that hated on TFL, this is why people like myself wanted them to get an R1T. Rivian could have provided charge curves at inception and yet continues to only state 140 miles in 20 minutes. Of the numerous Youtube testers, Motor Trend, Edmonds, etc. no one has done a towing test, no one has provided charging curves, etc. Thank you TFL for getting us real-world data. That being said, I may need to switch back to my Max pack. Rivian will be behind very soon if they don't get 300+ kWh charging ability. Rivan has been testing this truck for years now and has tons of ex-Tesla employees, how did they miss battery pre-conditioning for road trips?
My 'hate' derived from being turned off at their entitled whining. I don't expect MotorTrend or Edmunds to weigh in because I'm not sure they know what a "charge curve" is. What TFL provided in this video is one data point. I'd ultimately prefer those with a demonstrated proficiency in charge curves to weight in.

I'll be waiting for something to pop up from Tom my money is on him getting to it first. Really curious as to the 70mph range test.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Starting at 20% left is too high. That's still 63 miles left. You're better off in almost every EV trying to do 10-70% between stops instead of 20-80%.
Sponsored