Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S; Audi All-road Wagon; Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

So as my luck would have it, I got rear-ended on day 4 of ownership after waiting 3+ years for delivery -- and ON MY WAY to the shop to get the stealth wrap put on no less. Sometimes you just have to laugh because that's all you can do... That being said, even though I am obviously not at all happy, I have to say I am impressed with how my R1S handled a car traveling relatively fast (on a highway) plowing into it at an angle from behind. The other car was an Audi A3 sedan, and it looked like an accordion (definitely a total loss).

Thankfully nobody was hurt and the R1S will get fixed (and still drivable, though not as pretty as it was a couple days ago) -- EVENTUALLY. Collision shop warning parts will be slow to gather, and repair will take around a month even once they do get all the parts.

Anyone else have experiences dealing with collision repairs? Using a Rivian-approved shop who seems to know what they are doing, but just curious what others may have gone through, and welcome any advice you may have!

In the interim, I'll have to live vicariously through those of you enjoying the experience of driving your pristine beauties around!!!!

UPDATE: I documented my collision repair experience HERE in the event it helps anyone in the future!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) Rivian Wrecked

Here's the Audi... 2015 A3 4-D. At least air bags and other safety devices operated as designed and the driver walked away!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) the-other-guy-
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
So as my luck would have it, I got rear-ended on day 4 of ownership after waiting 3+ years for delivery -- and ON MY WAY to the shop to get the stealth wrap put on no less. Sometimes you just have to laugh because that's all you can do... That being said, even though I am obviously not at all happy, I have to say I am impressed with how my R1S handled a car traveling relatively fast (on a highway) plowing into it at an angle from behind. The other car was an Audi A3 sedan, and it looked like an accordion (definitely a total loss).

Thankfully nobody was hurt and the R1S will get fixed (and still drivable, though not as pretty as it was a couple days ago) -- EVENTUALLY. Collision shop warning parts will be slow to gather, and repair will take around a month even once they do get all the parts.

Anyone else have experiences dealing with collision repairs? Using a Rivian-approved shop who seems to know what they are doing, but just curious what others may have gone through, and welcome any advice you may have!

In the interim, I'll have to live vicariously through those of you enjoying the experience of driving your pristine beauties around!!!!

Rivian Wrecked.png
That just sux! sounds like my kinda luck.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Glad you are safe (I am assuming that’s the case). Did the other driver walk away? It is a bummer this happened to you.

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Glad you are safe (I am assuming that’s the case). Did the other driver walk away? It is a bummer this happened to you.
Thankfully everyone walked away without a scratch!!! While I wanted to be so angry, the first thing the other guy did was leap out and ask if I was okay :)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Sucks but you have a great attitude about it. It is what it is! Glad you're okay. Have a pic of the audi?
Here's the Audi... 2015 A3 4-D. At least air bags and other safety devices operated as designed and the driver walked away!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S wrecked... 4 days after delivery! (but you should see the other guy...) The other guy

tbolts10

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety

The other guy.png
Damn that's pretty impressive how the Rivian held up. I've seen full size body-on-frame trucks hold up like nothing happened but the R1S is a different animal - glad to see held up so well.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Damaged, not wrecked, but still sucks and is unfortunate. I would hope to have your attitude about it if it ever happened to me. Accidents happen, at least it sounds like the Audi driver was concerned about you when it happened.

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

Damaged, not wrecked, but still sucks and is unfortunate. I would hope to have your attitude about it if it ever happened to me. Accidents happen, at least it sounds like the Audi driver was concerned about you when it happened.
You're right -- "damaged" is the far better word - thank you for that! And as for the Audi driver, proof there are still good people out there in the world :).

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I almost had the same thing happen to me yesterday driving home in the wild wind and weather we are having on the coast. With wind gusts up to 65 mph and standing water in a driving rain, a Tesla idiot decide it was the perfect time to tailgate me.

He tried it once too often, and when I had to brake (for real), the truck behind him rearranged the back of his Tesla. Oopsie! No damage to me or the Tesla driver, but his Tesla is now going to the scrapheap. The funniest part is that I did pull over, and the Tesla driver tried to blame it all on me. Several folks told the cops that responded what really happened which made it all the worse for Mr. Tesla guy. Oh well.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent

Rivian Wrecked.png
You also have to be aware that a vehicle like the R1S will out accelerate and out brake 99% of the other vehicles on the road and with the 1 pedal design you need to be much more aware of who is behind you at all times. It’s definitely harder to avoid these drivers in a city but if I notice an idiot that’s trying really hard in my rear view mirror I’ll brake much earlier and gentler to encourage them to pass so they get in front of me. Either that or I get well ahead of them so they aren’t so close but that’s not always possible in tighter traffic conditions.

If you don’t want this to happen again you’ll need to learn this technique because 1 pedal driving definitely put conventional brakes at a disadvantage when it comes to stopping quickly.

OP
OP
nrrasmussen

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

You also have to be aware that a vehicle like the R1S will out accelerate and out brake 99% of the other vehicles on the road and with the 1 pedal design you need to be much more aware of who is behind you at all times. It’s definitely harder to avoid these drivers in a city but if I notice an idiot that’s trying really hard in my rear view mirror I’ll brake much earlier and gentler to encourage them to pass so they get in front of me. Either that or I get well ahead of them so they aren’t so close but that’s not always possible in tighter traffic conditions.

If you don’t want this to happen again you’ll need to learn this technique because 1 pedal driving definitely put conventional brakes at a disadvantage when it comes to stopping quickly.
That's great guidance -- this is my first ever EV, so definitely some lessons learned on my end as well. Thank you!!!!

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra

Rivian Wrecked.png

the-other-guy-png.png
I say just proceed with the stealth wrap and no one will be the wiser. I mean the “stealth” will hide that scratch no problem.

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, MB W221 S550, Prius V
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Clubs

I am seeing a few Rivians involved in rear end collisions and wondering if one pedal driving is a bug, not a feature when it comes to notifying other vehicles you are slowing by illuminating brake lights when slowing. Leaving other drivers not realizing until it is too late that the Rivian is decelerating rapidly. thoughts?
Sponsored