Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

FWIW, I have an R1S that was delivered with the nipples / tabs and haven't gotten any messages recently about scheduling a replacement so suspect that's the piece they're installing (unless they're rolling out the permanent fix first to those who don't have the interim fix in place).

My guide also reiterated what Rivian said at the time of the announcement that the nipple / tab pieces are a temporary fix until the final solution is available.

Again, FWIW, I actually don't mind the tabs at all and sort of like how they look / work with the guide lights at night after locking. Hard to explain but sort of concentrates the light a little more than the flat cover does.
I like how the tabs look, too. They remind me of the fender flare lights on the Raptor, but rotated 90°.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July 1689191810135

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

I took delivery of our R1S a couple of weeks ago and asked the delivery person to confirm that the tabs on ours were the temporary solution. He said no, that's the new light design and that solution is permanent.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time inaccurate information was provided by a Rivian employee, so I'm still holding out for pics from folks that have the service visit.

Reactions: Jac

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I took delivery of our R1S a couple of weeks ago and asked the delivery person to confirm that the tabs on ours were the temporary solution. He said no, that's the new light design and that solution is permanent.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time inaccurate information was provided by a Rivian employee, so I'm still holding out for pics from folks that have the service visit.
Well, for you, that likely IS the permanent solution. Rivian isn't going to replace that, at least not at their own expense. I wouldn't extrapolate that to mean that we won't see a different solution for recalled vehicles or after a certain production date.

Sponsored

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

Well, for you, that likely IS the permanent solution. Rivian isn't going to replace that, at least not at their own expense. I wouldn't extrapolate that to mean that we won't see a different solution for recalled vehicles or after a certain production date.
Agree that there's no need for them to replace it in my case since it meets the requirements.

What had me more intrigued is that he said that my setup is not the temporary fix they had to put in place but is the new design. Since what I have looks just like the temporary solution, I'm chalking up his comments to be erroneous/misinformed and am fully expecting that the recalled vehicles will have another solution.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Agree that there's no need for them to replace it in my case since it meets the requirements.

What had me more intrigued is that he said that my setup is not the temporary fix they had to put in place but is the new design. Since what I have looks just like the temporary solution, I'm chalking up his comments to be erroneous/misinformed and am fully expecting that the recalled vehicles will have another solution.
I'm not convinced one way or the other, I could see things playing out either way.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The temporary solution is an original lens plus a modification added after the original part was produced.

It may be that the new design looks and functions like the temporary solution but the difference is the permanent solution was manufactured that way from the start as a single piece.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I had my car at the sevice center of Dallas for 2 weeks. I even asked them about this recall and they said your car is fine. Today after I pick up my car, rivian sent out email notice that my car need back up light replace. Smh. What a waste of time

schalliol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Honda Odyssey
I’ve been told there’s a permanent fix that’s just simply brighter through complete replacement of the lamps and they’re going to schedule service replacement. Has anyone seen that?

Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
The temporary solution is an original lens plus a modification added after the original part was produced.

It may be that the new design looks and functions like the temporary solution but the difference is the permanent solution was manufactured that way from the start as a single piece.
This is exactly it. Just had ours have this recall done today.

Difference is the recall has the “nipple” molded into the light, whereas the temporary solution is glued.

Was actually pretty quick.

schalliol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Honda Odyssey
This is exactly it. Just had ours have this recall done today.

Difference is the recall has the “nipple” molded into the light, whereas the temporary solution is glued.

Was actually pretty quick.
Ugh, how does it look? Can you post a picture? Mine is scheduled for mobile on Thursday.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

They don't look the same to me. On the lights installed to satisfy the recall (shown in @jpmc86 post above), the red portion protrudes from the bumper facia. There's still a clear "nipple" for the backup light, but it is not as long (deep?) as the nipple on the quick-fix lights.

schalliol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Honda Odyssey
Yeah, so doesn’t look bad. I was a bit concerned that the other ones looked strange.
Sponsored