G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
Updated with NHTSA recall document and official Rivian website info:

NHTSA Recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V233-4885.PDF

Rivian site:
https://rivian.com/support/article/When-will-Rivian-offer-the-updated-backup-lamp-lenses-for-R1S

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/r...-new-backup-light-design-to-meet-regulations/

The issue affects 5,030 R1Ss built between November 19, 2021, and March 21, 2023. These were shipped with reverse lights that do not meet federal regulations. Although the light will shine, the optical center of the lamps may not be adequately visible to satisfy the Department of Transportation’s requirements.

The company was made aware that the reverse lights on the R1S are non-compliant on March 8, 2023. Although the SUV’s taillights appear to be similar in design to its sister vehicle, the R1T pickup, it is the only model affected by this recall. We have reached out to Rivian for more information on that score, and will update this story when we hear back.

The automaker says it has revised the design of the vehicle’s taillights, and will install the new units in vehicles affected by this issue. Rivian will start reaching out to customers on May 20 to alert them to the existence of the recall campaign.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
I wonder if supplier will be financially on the hook for the inadequate part.

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

As I wrote in my post on March 30, this sounds like a compliance issue with FMVSS 108.

Here is the link to the official NHTSA website for this recall.

It's going to take some time for Rivian's supplier to manufacture 5000 sets of parts to repair the non-compliant vehicles (at the same time that they're continuing to supply parts for ongoing production). With that in mind, May 20 sounds reasonable for a beginning to send out recall notices. A document on the NHTSA website lists the supplier of the R1S backup lights as AMS CO., LTD in Korea.
First thought: that would need to be in the contract. During my 6 years at Honda, one member of my group dealt with suppliers reimbursing Honda for certain warranty claims.

Last edited:

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks, @electruck. I now have a clearer picture of what's going on. The noncompliance issue is not that the backup lamps are too dim. Instead, the issue is that some pedestrians can't see the (optical center of) the backup lamp from all positions required by the federal regulation.

A NHTSA recall document cites noncompliance with Table V-a "Visibility Requirements." In the applicable federal reg, Table V-a specifies all the positions from which at least one back up lamp must be visible. Specifically, a tall pedestrian standing 3 feet behind the vehicle, whose eyes are 6 feet above the pavement, must be able to see at least one backup lamp. (Feel free to try this at home, kids.) Note that R1S backup lamps are somewhat recessed into the corners of the bumper. A photo posted on Reddit in March shows that Rivian's temporary fix was to extend the backup lens rearward (apparently by gluing a piece of clear plastic to the original lens) so that said tall pedestrian can see it. I suspect that the permanent fix (with a redesigned lens) will be more elegant.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July Rivian R1S noncompliance

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July FMVSS Table V-a

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July Rivian backup temporary

Reactions: VSG

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I doubt it. Based on the description of the problem, it sounds like a design miss by Rivian.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I doubt it. Based on the description of the problem, it sounds like a design miss by Rivian.
If anything Rivian will be on the hook for the change orders with their supplier 🤑🤑🤑

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
This looks like a very minor fix. The modification looks like no more than a small piece of lense attached with double strick tape.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Is it possible for me to keep the lights the way it is?
Is it illegal if I don't come into a service center to replace the light?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
to what end?

Sponsored

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

To keep the noncompliant lights that you have: (1) Ignore the recall notices you'll get in the mail. And (2) never take your vehicle to a Rivian Service Center (for any reason) after the redesigned parts become available. Well ... I suppose at some point Rivian mobile service might come looking for you.

A recall notice isn't a court summons or a subpoena. I don't think it's illegal to ignore a recall notice.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This looks like a very minor fix. The modification looks like no more than a small piece of lense attached with double strick tape.
I think that is a temporary fix, they are redesigning the lens for the permanent fix and should ready around July to start replacing them based on the Rivian support site.

I’ve seen some recently delivered R1S that have protruding pieces of plastic on the backup lamps. Is that the new lens design?
These extensions are a current measure while we update the lens that sits in the rear fascia of the R1S. Once the new backup lens is available, we’ll schedule a service appointment to install the updated lenses.

When will the updated backup lamps be ready?
We expect to begin scheduling service appointments for impacted R1S customers in July of 2023.

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I dislike, including Rivian, when vehicles have the reverse lights as the coming/leaving home light. It’s so confusing in parking lots!! But I understand it makes sense in real dark areas.

nrrasmussen

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S; Audi All-road Wagon; Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

I finally got the recall notice via snail mail....basically says they don't have a solution yet so stay tuned....

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S getting recall to update backup light lamp lenses. Notices coming to owners May 20 for replacement service starting July recall

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
i'm confused why the S backup light is different than on the T. the bumper looks identical?
Sponsored