Sponsored

Rivian R1S Died Today

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I hear ya; let’s seperate these into groups so they aren’t all getting lumped together. Dying while driving should be in the serious bucket, a misaligned door panel can go into the nitpick bucket for all I care. No cars perfect and people need to get over that. I have a Mercedes G63 for my other car - people think it’s amazing and should be perfect, but it has its own small problems too, every car does.
Agreed.

I had a random error message about a critical battery error after a DC charging session. I was freaking out as I was 5 hrs from home and my wife had a shift that next morning at the hospital. I called Rivian and they were amazing. They knew what it was almost immediately after I explained it, a hard reset, and boom fixed. Went on another long road trip for Thanksgiving and it was flawless.

There is so much tech in these cars, and we're beta testers. People have to at least understand that. With that said, it still shouldn't brick but it seems Rivian service takes these very seriously, which is good.
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

There are plenty of experienced auto manufacturing executives, process and quality leaders as well as auto manufacturing automation (a century worth of experience). Stop making excuses for shotty workmanship. Look at every new post on this forum and you will see that random problems cut across hardware and software. Sad to see people settling for mediocrity. Rivian can do better. Else, it will become a Delorean!

Again, you don't understand how this works.

OEMs have been around for a 100 years and still have massive issues. Rivians are far more advanced than most vehicles produced right now.

You can expect them to get better, and they will, AND ALSO understand they're a brand new company and there is a reason there have been almost no new car OEMs. Breaking news.... manufacturing cars is hard.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Sounds like you have the answers (excuses) and you are good with incomplete, subpar performance. I prefer and desire to have zero excuses and better products ( in manufacturing, that is called constant improvement). I own a Rivian and I am willing to call them out when they have issues, which are getting worse.
What is your proof that issues are getting worse? Cite your study or number of recalls. "Trust me bro" is not a reliable source.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Feel free to call your guide or call for service and see how long it takes. Four months ago it was 15-30 days, today, 45-60 days. Good luck
Do you understand why?

Do you know what ramping up is?

Do you know how many more Rivians are now on the road?

Are you 15?

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

...( in manufacturing, that is called constant improvement)...
In this case, I don't really hate to be that guy at all.

In manufacturing/engineering, it's called *CONTINUOUS* improvement.

If you want to pretend you know better than everyone else, at least use Google first :)

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So, you have no answers or solutions. Just excuses and. Some calling. Good for you. Enjoy you mediocre life.
What does this even mean? I don't work for Rivian, I don't need the answers or solutions to anything they do. I just have a grasp of how this works. You clearly don't.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wife and kids were on their way to Target today and our R1S started flashing all sorts of red error codes and and the car started slowing down so they pulled over. Unfortunately, they were not able to do a hard reset as the car wouldn't let them (just held down the buttons for a while but nothing happened). I went and swapped cars with them and while waiting for the tow truck, was able to reset the car using the sleep mode reset function. Once it came out of sleep, I was able to do a hard reset and all the error codes went away. I still took it to the Rivian support center so they can take a look at it, will report back when they tell me what caused it. Also asked them to fix the center console rattle while they have it ;)

Rivian support was great, they checked in a ton to make sure wife and kids had a ride, offered an Uber if they wanted it etc.

What sucks is that the hard reset didn't work for some reason, and I could tell Rivian tech supported was frustrated too. Thankfully everyone is safe and sound. Does get me wondering about reliability long term. We have 15K miles on it (1-year old) and have done some long road trips, and would like to continue to do so.

Worth mentioning: Two Rivian owners drove by and both stopped to make sure I was ok - love our community!
It is concerning; particularly when family is using it. You feel like you disappointed them personally. I do think it is growing pains for Rivian and hope they implement robust failover systems to avoid these surprises. We are all learning, as Rivian being a new company. I don’t see it as a reliability issue and also think that it is a right company to support long term.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Do you understand why?

Do you know what ramping up is?

Do you know how many more Rivians are now on the road?

Are you 15?
Do you think the solution to the long wait times at some service centers is to improve initial quality or to increase service center locations and sizes?

I do agree these are ramping pains, but either the service side of the business was caught off guard with the initial quality issues or they weren't given the appropriate time to prepare the business for the ramp.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wife and kids were on their way to Target today and our R1S started flashing all sorts of red error codes and and the car started slowing down so they pulled over. Unfortunately, they were not able to do a hard reset as the car wouldn't let them (just held down the buttons for a while but nothing happened). I went and swapped cars with them and while waiting for the tow truck, was able to reset the car using the sleep mode reset function. Once it came out of sleep, I was able to do a hard reset and all the error codes went away. I still took it to the Rivian support center so they can take a look at it, will report back when they tell me what caused it. Also asked them to fix the center console rattle while they have it ;)

Rivian support was great, they checked in a ton to make sure wife and kids had a ride, offered an Uber if they wanted it etc.

What sucks is that the hard reset didn't work for some reason, and I could tell Rivian tech supported was frustrated too. Thankfully everyone is safe and sound. Does get me wondering about reliability long term. We have 15K miles on it (1-year old) and have done some long road trips, and would like to continue to do so.

Worth mentioning: Two Rivian owners drove by and both stopped to make sure I was ok - love our community!
Sorry for your (wife's) trouble with the R1S! I'm just wondering what is the "sleep mode reset function"? and how to execute it?

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Do you think the solution to the long wait times at some service centers is to improve initial quality or to increase service center locations and sizes?

I do agree these are ramping pains, but either the service side of the business was caught off guard with the initial quality issues or they weren't given the appropriate time to prepare the business for the ramp.
This happened to Tesla as they ramped as well. This isn't new. They'll work it out on both the initial quality, and on the service side. They're trying to hire as many as they can as well. Just take a look on Rivian's website.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Sorry for your (wife's) trouble with the R1S! I'm just wondering what is the "sleep mode reset function"? and how to execute it?
It's literally locking the doors and walking away. Then waiting for the car to go into sleep mode. Walk back and get in, and the car comes out of sleep mode. Not sure why this seems to fix some issues (fixed our audio/bass issue 6 months back), but it does.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Wife and kids were on their way to Target today and our R1S started flashing all sorts of red error codes ... I still took it to the Rivian support center so they can take a look at it
Hi! Just a quick question. Might've missed it in the comments. When you say "I still took it to the Rivian support center", how long was it between the issue and when you took it for service? All the threads on here about people waiting months for service, it sounds like you were just able to head over there immediately after the issue occurred? How long did they say before they'd be able to take a look at the vehicle?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
@Ioman, what version software update were/are you running?

Battery warning, other errors, and not being able to do a soft/hard/sleep reset has become a symptom of certain fungued 42.0 and 42.1 software versions.

Sorry if you already covered this, it was hard to sift through the other food fight posts. Please take it outside people.

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
@Ioman, what version software update were/are you running?

Battery warning, other errors, and not being able to do a soft/hard/sleep reset has become a symptom of certain fungued 42.0 and 42.1 software versions.

Sorry if you already covered this, it was hard to sift through the other food fight posts. Please take it outside people.
I have whatever the latest version is. I update my R1S every time it asks me to, it currently says no updates available.
Sponsored