Sponsored

Rivian R1S Died Today

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Wife and kids were on their way to Target today and our R1S started flashing all sorts of red error codes and and the car started slowing down so they pulled over. Unfortunately, they were not able to do a hard reset as the car wouldn't let them (just held down the buttons for a while but nothing happened). I went and swapped cars with them and while waiting for the tow truck, was able to reset the car using the sleep mode reset function. Once it came out of sleep, I was able to do a hard reset and all the error codes went away. I still took it to the Rivian support center so they can take a look at it, will report back when they tell me what caused it. Also asked them to fix the center console rattle while they have it ;)

Rivian support was great, they checked in a ton to make sure wife and kids had a ride, offered an Uber if they wanted it etc.

What sucks is that the hard reset didn't work for some reason, and I could tell Rivian tech supported was frustrated too. Thankfully everyone is safe and sound. Does get me wondering about reliability long term. We have 15K miles on it (1-year old) and have done some long road trips, and would like to continue to do so.

Worth mentioning: Two Rivian owners drove by and both stopped to make sure I was ok - love our community!
Sponsored

Last edited:

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
A reminder, the majority of people out enjoying their R1S and R1Ts aren't posting here.
You know, when picking up my R1S at service center last year, I saw about two dozen R1Ses with misaligned lift gates. The only one complaining about it online, though, appears to be me! 🤣

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1S Died Today 1701071580757

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Sorry this happened and glad you were able to get it to the service center.

Keep in mind forums and online platforms are often a place where owners go to vent frustrations. This applies to just about every car out there. If they aren't venting they are seeking help with a problem. Very rarely do they seek out these platforms to express satisfaction.

With all that said, keep in mind that the problems here are only a small fraction of owners and do not accurately reflect Rivian ownership as a whole.

Between my two vehicles I have close to 20,000 Rivian miles and aside from some minor fit/finish issues and alignment on one of them they have been rock solid.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
A reminder, the majority of people out enjoying their R1S and R1Ts aren't posting here.
Completely true, but also important to not ignore fact that there is room for improvement, so that everyone who purchases a new Rivian eventually gets to have the experience of the majority. Someone's vehicles are all backing up service and they aren't all posting here either.

Luckily Rivian recognizes this and appears to be working on the solution.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Of course, but my point remains. As deliveries have ramped, we've seen a lot of first time or new posters coming in with issues. This has been the case for nearly every car ever made. Go into some of the BMW forums and you'll see the same thing.

This is more fore new people coming into the board, looking to possibly purchase a Rivian.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You know, when picking up my R1S at service center last year, I saw about two dozen R1Ses with misaligned lift gates. The only one complaining about it online, though, appears to be me! 🤣
This one amuses me. Guy at work has an R1S and I noticed the misaligned lift gate immediately. Months go by and I mention it to him and he'd never noticed before.

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Rivian needs to do better. no excuse for faulty software or shotty manufacturing. The Orlando Service Center has no room for vehicles that need repair AND they are weeks out for any appointment. I am all for brand loyalty, BUT seriously, customers need to demand better. No excuses for a company that years old and NOT the first to develop an electric vehicle.
A car “bricking” while driving is a major issue. Surprised the media has not picked up on this yet.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Rivian needs to do better. no excuse for faulty software or shotty manufacturing. The Orlando Service Center has no room for vehicles that need repair AND they are weeks out for any appointment. I am all for brand loyalty, BUT seriously, customers need to demand better. No excuses for a company that years old and NOT the first to develop an electric vehicle.
Tell me you don't understand auto manufacturing as a startup without telling me....

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
No car has ever broken down while driving...ever.
What’s your definition of “broken down”? Also, why are you being so defensive on here? Not sure I understand where you’re coming from. I love my R1S, but it should not be dying randomly while be driving like that.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

What’s your definition of “broken down”? Also, why are you being so defensive on here? Not sure I understand where you’re coming from. I love my R1S, but it should not be dying randomly while be driving like that.
I 100% agree with you it shouldn't brick/die randomly. I hope they sort it out and take care of you.

With that said, people here are starting to get nuts as Rivian ramps up. It's getting a bit exhausting to see the amount of misinformation, nitpicking, etc.

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I 100% agree with you it shouldn't brick/die randomly. I hope they sort it out and take care of you.

With that said, people here are starting to get nuts as Rivian ramps up. It's getting a bit exhausting to see the amount of misinformation, nitpicking, etc.
I hear ya; let’s seperate these into groups so they aren’t all getting lumped together. Dying while driving should be in the serious bucket, a misaligned door panel can go into the nitpick bucket for all I care. No cars perfect and people need to get over that. I have a Mercedes G63 for my other car - people think it’s amazing and should be perfect, but it has its own small problems too, every car does.
Sponsored