Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
ICE vehicles will be on the road for at least another 20 years, their value will not drop immediately because of an improvement in BEV tech. And since not everyone can afford the latest and greatest or to buy a new vehicle of any kind, the second hand market for BEVs should also remain reasonable after the launch of next gen tech. In theory. It's also not clear how aggressively Rivian will pursue trade-ins given they have a second-life strategy for batteries. It will be very interesting to see where the Rivian adventure leads us....
My point was that it’s a bit dramatic to think because battery improves, value of old ones will plummet to nothing. Model s early models sell for like 30k still and barely charger faster than a leaf, if that.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
My point was that it’s a bit dramatic to think because battery improves, value of old ones will plummet to nothing. Model s early models sell for like 30k still and barely charger faster than a leaf, if that.
Yes, my first statement was a bit dramatic. My second statement in response to you was agreeing with your point and trying to be more realistic while also throwing in consideration for second-life battery reclamation.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
In theory, yes. In practice, Rivian has explicitly stated they will not be supporting battery upgrades. They could always change their mind but I suspect this is unlikely.
Okay, I hadn't come across this before. Kind of throws a wrench into battery upgrading!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Swapping for a different battery technology would also involve all the support systems. Inverter, BMS, cooling/heating accommodations, recalibrating for range estimating, power requirements and supply to the motors, display of battery SOC, and probably a host of other things.

Possible? Absolutely.
Cheaper than trading in your "old" Rivian for a new one? Very, very unlikely.

I'm involved in a local chapter of the Electric Auto Association. We've been around long enough that many of our members either built or had conversions of ICE vehicles built for them. We get all kinds of inquiries for people looking to convert their favorite old truck/car/van/etc. While possible, the companies doing that kind of thing quote a starting figure of $40K-50K (and you wind up with a far less capable vehicle than if you bought a modern EV). Oregon company recently completed a conversion of Johnny Cash's 1970 Rolls Royce, and their website has various other projects and resources.
https://www.shiftev.com/

Re-engineering a Li-Ion EV (of any brand) to retrofit Solid State, Li Air, or whatever new battery technology will not be as simple as dropping a Li-Ion 12V battery in your car/motorcycle to replace the lead acid. Those Li Ion replacements actually have a BMS built in to emulate a lead acid and convert the charging to what the Lithium battery needs. Doing that on the scale of a 100+ kWh pack will be a custom project and not come cheap.

If you hold off buying an EV because a better battery technology will come out, you'll never own an EV. That was true for computers, flat screen TV's, phones, digital cameras, etc. (and still is to varying degrees). I still have an 8" floppy disk or two around from when that was the standard for small business computers.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Based on those Job posts, I take them as a team to investigate the feasibility of Solid State for Rivian's future. Not to start manufacturing them. Need to crawl before running!

Sponsored

JLiz5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLE350, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
Won’t trying to stay ahead of battery technology will be similar to always having the latest tech in TVs, computers, phones etc, you will go broke trying to do so...albeit, less broke than an $80k vehicle?

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Won’t trying to stay ahead of battery technology will be similar to always having the latest tech in TVs, computers, phones etc, you will go broke trying to do so...albeit, less broke than an $80k vehicle?
Agree 100%

I have a Samsung TV (only one we have) that is from 2009. Works great. Not very smart.

I plan to just drive this as long as it lasts. I have never been someone who has to have the latest or greatest.

What drove me to Rivian is the combination of electric and offroad/yes 'adventure' capability.

I find we need way less than we think, and certainly less than cutting edge. I get around in snow storms and soft sand just fine on my 2011 honda crv with a 2 inch lift (spacers), though I wished it had a backup camera.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Agree 100%

I have a Samsung TV (only one we have) that is from 2009. Works great. Not very smart.

I plan to just drive this as long as it lasts. I have never been someone who has to have the latest or greatest.

What drove me to Rivian is the combination of electric and offroad/yes 'adventure' capability.

I find we need way less than we think, and certainly less than cutting edge. I get around in snow storms and soft sand just fine on my 2011 honda crv with a 2 inch lift (spacers), though I wished it had a backup camera.
Amen. Did 17 years in Wisconsin winters drivin in snow instead of on pavement, much of it in our Odyssey with 4.5” clearance or Impreza 5.9” clearance. I expect to drive my Rivian into 2040. There’s a crazy thought.
Sponsored