First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
The only thing I find 'miles/hr charge time' useful for is when answering the oft asked question "how long does it take to charge". That works because most people know their daily commute distance and it's easy to do that simple math in their head to calculate how long it will take to charge each night.
I don’t use miles/hr charge time for simple math. I use it when ebverybody walks up to me asking what my truck is because they have never seen one before and asking how long it takes to charge it up. If I tell them the kw/hr charging rate they are clueless because they do not have an electric vehicle.
Sponsored

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
I had my wall charger installed yesterday. I would initiate the pairing but it would not connect to my phone. The light would pulse white for about. 3 minutes and I was 1 foot away from it with my phone but the app would state it could not find the charger. Then the light would go solid red. Anybody have this experience?
Thanks

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I had my wall charger installed yesterday. I would initiate the pairing but it would not connect to my phone. The light would pulse white for about. 3 minutes and I was 1 foot away from it with my phone but the app would state it could not find the charger. Then the light would go solid red. Anybody have this experience?
Thanks
Yes (my electrician had never seen this charger before). Make sure you connect the cable to the face plate... ;)

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
Yes (my electrician had never seen this charger before). Make sure you connect the cable to the face plate... ;)
Thanks,
I checked that last night. It was connected. Can you connect it upside down maybe? It just seems different because the charger starts the pairing process but just won’t connect. Then goes red…

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Mine did the exact same thing; it was just the connector wasn't installed. It only goes on one way. Did you reset the breaker after attaching the faceplate?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SolartoEV

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
Thanks

I had a tough time as well with my charger.
steps in my mind.
1. make sure it has good to great wifi signal when first pairing
2. Make sure you have separate 2.4g and 5g wifi.
3.The pairing step is right after you reset the breaker while the whole top is flashing
4. Your phone needs to also be connected to the wifi you are using
5.Your bluetooth needs to be on and willing to be paired too

I have a Galaxy Z Fold2 and couldn't get it to connect with that. I used my wife's Iphone 12 and paired it through her app and then it appeared on mine. It successfully connected the first try with her phone.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Anyone know if you can buy an additional portable charger?

A few weeks ago, like others on this thread, realized the cost to upgrade my panel and install the wall charger isn't worth it.

However it is going to be a pain to constantly unplug and store the cable every time I go out. So if I could buy an additional unit, I could leave that in the garage and just plug in, similar to the wall mounted charger
Is there any particular reason you will want the charger with you every time you leave the house? If you're just running errands or commuting to work, why not just leave the portable charger at home? Just bring it with you for trips.

As an alternative, if you have a 14-50 outlet already (or are going to install one), you could get one of the 3rd party 40A chargers that uses a 14-50 outlet.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If you're just running errands or commuting to work, why not just leave the portable charger at home?
Many of us think some means of charging should always be on board whenever a BEV is operated. I must say that in going on 4 years of BEV operation the UMC has been used but once and that wasn't by me (body shop used it when car was there for 3 weeks).

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many of us think some means of charging should always be on board whenever a BEV is operated. I must say that in going on 4 years of BEV operation the UMC has been used but once and that wasn't by me (body shop used it when car was there for 3 weeks).
I cannot think of a single reason to have a means of charging with me when I got to the grocery store or pick up take out dinner within 3 miles of my home. Similarly, I don't carry a jerry can of extra gasoline with me.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Is there any particular reason you will want the charger with you every time you leave the house? If you're just running errands or commuting to work, why not just leave the portable charger at home? Just bring it with you for trips.

As an alternative, if you have a 14-50 outlet already (or are going to install one), you could get one of the 3rd party 40A chargers that uses a 14-50 outlet.
Paranoia. Lol. I like being prepared.

I only have a 100A panel, so not sure how much I can squeeze out of it. And I have super cheap L2 charging at work, so it doesn't make sense to upgrade my home setup beyond adding the proper plug to a 240 line. The previous owner was a diy guy and had a 240 line with a regular 120 outlet (labeled with permanent marker to prevent issues). So I'll have some work to do there.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I cannot think of a single reason to have a means of charging with me when I got to the grocery store or pick up take out dinner within 3 miles of my home.
I can't either and, of course, that's not why it's there. It's there so I know it will ALWAYS be there. I will never find myself out in the boonies of Quebec unable to charge at the nearest farmhouse because I decided to take the UMC out of the car last time I went to the grocery store because it is unlikely to be needed. Is it your practice to take the spare tire off your vehicles when going to the grocery store?

People handle risk management in various ways.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can't either and, of course, that's not why it's there. It's there so I know it will ALWAYS be there. I will never find myself out in the boonies of Quebec unable to charge at the nearest farmhouse because I decided to take the UMC out of the car last time I went to the grocery store because it is unlikely to be needed. Is it your practice to take the spare tire off your vehicles when going to the grocery store?

People handle risk management in various ways.
OK, we're talking about two different situations though. You're talking about someone actively removing it from their vehicle. I'm talking about not unplugging it from the wall and putting it into the vehicle, for those who are using the portable charger instead of a "permanent" one. If you plug the car in every night, you have to unplug it before you can drive away. It shouldn't be hard to remember to unplug it and put it in the car when you're leaving town.

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
I have two Wi-Fi networks and just shut one off thinking maybe the charger was picking up a different network than my phone. Still no dice. App continues to tell me it can not find the charger. White light still pulsing while doing so. Waiting to hear back from support.
As far as taking the portable charger with you or leaving at home, I want the wall charger so I can “Stow” the portable charger where it belongs and get the full functionality out of the frunk. There are tools I want to keep in there permanently and use often so don’t want to have to pull all of them out to get to the charger.
just my two cents.

Mbxmikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T White with 22s
Occupation
Construction
Does anybody know if I can use the charger if it is not paired?
Sponsored