Rivian home wall electrical conector.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
I know... it's not a charger

But

Who has a Rivian wall "charger" and what miles added on hour does it display?

I have one and am curious what others do
Sponsored

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
I installed mine on a 50A circuit (set the dip switch to 40A per the instructions) and am getting around 19-20 miles of range per hour of charge.

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
It's a pretty big bummer that it only charges up to 20 miles per hour. It's nothing new, nothing I didn't know, but still a bummer.

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Has anyone used the portable charger on 240V? What charge rate are you getting?

Rivian's website says that should get up to 16 miles per hour of charge.

As I recall the wall charger, was advertised as up to 25 miles per hour, if the wall charger is only getting 19-20 miles per hour of charge then I am questioning investing in the wall charger and extra electrical work if a direct plug into the 240V is getting 16 but maybe it is well below advertised too.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Is the wall ā€˜chargerā€™ supposed to add anything over a direct cable connect to a 240v 14-50? I thought the point of the ā€˜chargerā€™ was Wi-Fi connectivity and charging session management but not any increase in ā€˜speedā€™?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is the wall ā€˜chargerā€™ supposed to add anything over a direct cable connect to a 240v 14-50? I thought the point of the ā€˜chargerā€™ was Wi-Fi connectivity and charging session management but not any increase in ā€˜speedā€™?
14-50s are limited to 40A, the truck can take 48A. Anything over 40A needs to be hard-wired in the US. Anything over 60A needs to have a safety disconnect near the EVSE.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Hardwired 48a should get ~25mi/hr charge rate.

My older Tesla gets 25-30mi/hr off of a 40a 14-50 cable as a comparison.

OP
OP
SolartoEV

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
I have mine hard wired on a 60 amp breaker and truck set to receive 48 amps but I also am charging at 20 mpha. I thought my dip switches were in the correct position but will have to double check. It does say I'm charging at 10kw which is close to what it's rated at.

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Just got my 60A circuit and wall charger installed yesterday. Recall seeing 21 and some change. Session is finished and I haven't found where historical mpha are recorded. Not the 25 I've seen advertised but should work out fine. Wondering if there are some optimizations to get it to that 25, though.

Still working with support to get it connected to my WiFi. I'll just say app could use some improvement in that area, especially if things don't go through smoothly on first try. And then, some of the things they have support feeding back and suggesting... C'mon, folks. It's 2022 and even if device was designed 5 years ago, wifi connectivity should be lightyears ahead of what they're describing as potential limitations. I've got a pretty sophisticated network and , ahem, a few years in the networking (especially WLAN) industry under my belt so, hopefully, not user error. I'd say probably just needs a firmware update but...

Bigskyinminnie

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc GL450
Has anyone used the portable charger on 240V? What charge rate are you getting?

Rivian's website says that should get up to 16 miles per hour of charge.

As I recall the wall charger, was advertised as up to 25 miles per hour, if the wall charger is only getting 19-20 miles per hour of charge then I am questioning investing in the wall charger and extra electrical work if a direct plug into the 240V is getting 16 but maybe it is well below advertised too.
I'm currently using the portable on my 240v outlet. Getting around 1.8-1.9 miles per hour. It's useless for anything more than keeping topped up really. Wall charger on NEMA 14-50 is a big upgrade i'm looking forward to.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Your "Miles-per-Hour charge" rate depends on your own personal driving efficiency rating.

If for example you are getting 2miles/kWh efficiency (.5kWh/mi) your "Miles-per-Hour charge" rate would be (assuming 48apms@240v) 11,520watts/.5kWh= 23 "Miles-per-Hour charge".

If your driving efficiency is down at 1.5mi/kWh, your "Miles-per-Hour charge" rate would only be 11,520watts/.66kWh= 17 "Miles-per-Hour charge".

Rivian's EPA rating is 315mi/135kWh battery pack, = 2.33mi/kWh. So if you drove exactly matching Rivian's efficiency rating- at 48amps/240v level ideally you'd see up to 26 "Miles-per-Hour charge" .

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Your "Miles-per-Hour charge" rate depends on your own personal driving efficiency rating.
I think you will find that any quoted miles per hour rates are based on the EPA rated consumption i.e. 135000/315 = 429 Wh/mi. It is impossible to tell how many miles you have loaded from a given charge because you don't know how many Wh/mi you will use when next you drive. Many applications and vehicles seem to like to display a "rated" added range or range AND an estimated added range or range based on the consumption estimated for the last trip or 30 mi or whatever. For this reason I find it much more informative to keep track of % SoC added per hour charging.

blkfxstc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Mine would likely be close to the 25 miles per hour of charge if I was on a 60A circuit pulling 48 actual amps. I ran 6 gage wire so I could upgrade the breaker in the future if I wanted to (already had the 50A available).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Mine would likely be close to the 25 miles per hour of charge if I was on a 60A circuit pulling 48 actual amps. I ran 6 gage wire so I could upgrade the breaker in the future if I wanted to (already had the 50A available).
If you are pulling the max 48 amp on a 240V circuit that's 11.52 kW. The charger is about 90% efficient so 0.9 times that, 10,368 kW go to the battery. At 429 Wh/mi that's 24.16 miles per hour if you plan to drive at speeds representative of the EPA test profile.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Like many others have already started, do not use miles when talking about recharging. It is not a relevant metric.

You can use kW, or % state of charge.

Trying to use miles means it is an incomparable value. I really wish EV makers stopped trying to dumb down the system.

When you fill up your gas tank for an ICE vehicle, to you talk about how many miles per dollar it cost?
Sponsored