Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This is a really good point. For launch edition there are 10 colors x 3 interior options = 30 possible permutations. This is assuming that it's relatively easy to bolt on an off road package. All the other configurations are easy to add or remove (wheels, spare tire, camp kitchen, etc.).

For the Launch Edition R1S, it's the same 30 permutations because all of them will ship in the 7-seat configuration.
there are also six wheel options.

The off-road package is almost certainly installed on the line during general assembly, so that needs to be considered as well.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

The off-road package is almost certainly installed on the line during general assembly, so that needs to be considered as well.
This is true but I am sure there are certain configurations more popular than others for the initial delivery areas. They certainly could pre-stage a bunch of those while waiting for the final certifications.

Would be interesting to know if anyone in the area has driven by (or could drive by) to see if there are vehicles being queued up in the parking lot. Seems like if they were currently building them in any quantity, they would have to store them outside.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

The off road package consists of enhanced tow hooks and a metal bash plate on the bottom. I imagine this would be an end of line add on. If not, then the configurations balloon to 60 possible permutations.

Wheels can certainly just be swapped in and out at any time.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The off road package consists of enhanced tow hooks and a metal bash plate on the bottom. I imagine this would be an end of line add on. If not, then the configurations balloon to 60 possible permutations.
This is certainly not an end of line add on. These are structural components that must be securely mounted with completely different bumper covers. I believe they are only producing trucks with the package initially, which would simplify the number of combinations for the time being.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is certainly not an end of line add on. These are structural components that must be securely mounted with completely different bumper covers. I believe they are only producing trucks with the package initially, which would simplify the number of combinations for the time being.
They changed them to an optional add on a couple months ago for both the Launch Edition and the Adventure Package. I'm not saying that it's as easy an install as changing the wheels, but the trucks without the off road package may have the same bones (i.e. the attachment point for the tow hooks hidden under the bumper).

There was also some news that Rivian may be shipping trucks to Service Centers without certain add-ons and those would be added there. I could see this being the legal reason why they removed the Off-Road option as standard.

Sponsored

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
The preorders are a large enough pool for rivian to have a good idea of what percentage of each configuration buyers will be looking for. So if you change your mind, they know about how many others will be in line to snatch it up. If you have yellow with green interior, they may be a little cross with you.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
If you have yellow with green interior, they may be a little cross with you.
Hey, that's me!

Weren't most of the early guide contacts blue exterior/black interior? I seem to recall a few white. But I don't think they are starting with all permutations. They can fulfill all of September with just blue/back I betcha.

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
There aren't that many permutations of R1T. Limited colors, and ultra-limited option packages... Rivian could easily run initial production based on what LE reservations show, and even if your final selections change, that unit will go to someone who wants it.
You are correct. Although my configuration is "locked in" my Guide advised that I can change anything at any time up until I take delivery. He said that any changes may cause my delivery date to slip, but any and all changes are ok. He added that they would have no problem matching my former configuration with another pre-orderer waiting for delivery.

So for those of you who have not yet heard from your guide, here's another variable to consider. ?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I'm an LE R1S holder but I am excited to see the R1Ts start to populate the landscape. Just give me the app! Let me putz around with and see the digital users guide. I'll be happy for a little while longer. :cool:

Sponsored

hamberderz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X (2020), Toyota Tundra TRD Pro (2019)
I'm an LE R1S holder but I am excited to see the R1Ts start to populate the landscape. Just give me the app! Let me putz around with and see the digital users guide. I'll be happy for a little while longer. :cool:
s00n…..

giraffesR1T

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, C3 Corvette
Occupation
IT
I spotted the Yiddish in this statement haha. Rarely see anyone use the word Putz.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
s00n…..
You know, I have a s00n tshirt and noone gets the reference... maybe I should get a shirt with 200 compass logos and see if that helps, I mean that's what Rivian is doing with their interiors.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Rarely see anyone use the word Putz.
And the longer we have to wait on our R1s, the more kvetching you’ll see in this forum. ?
Sponsored