Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
6/3 meets code under many circumstances. NEC allows you to round up when a load calc is in between breaker sizes.
Yep, totally agree NEC allows you to round up breaker sizes when in between.

But for continuous load (running more than 3 hours) the wire size must rated (at the correct temperature) for 125% of the actual load i.e. 48A car charger on a 60A breaker must have wire rated for 60A at the allowable rating temperature.

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, and Im not saying 6/3 wire is unsafe - just sharing the information that was provided to me by my master electrician. Have a look at the NEC codes.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Just purchased 75' of 6/4 from Amazon, 333.12, good quality, if you need a 14/50 outlet, I did 6/4 to put in a NEMA 14/50 outlet until I get the charger.

75' 6/4 SOOW SO Portable Power Cord Outdoor Durable Flexible Wire Cable - Electrical Wires - Amazon.com

They have 6/3 as well for 259.72 if you only need it for a charger. Same quality cable

6/3 SOOW SO 600V Portable Power Cord Outdoor Durable Flexible Wire Cable (6/3 SOOW Cable, 75') - - Amazon.com
I assume this is to run external, from a wall outlet to your charger unit? It's against NEC to install SO Cord in or through walls. It must be exposed.

Banned uses

In 400.8, the NEC lists specific types of uses that are not permitted for flexible cords and cables [400.8]. Unless specifically allowed in 400.7, flexible cords must not be:

• Used as substitutes for the fixed wiring of a structure.
  • Run through holes in walls, structural ceilings, suspended or dropped ceilings, or floors.
  • Run through doorways, windows, or similar openings.
  • Attached to building surfaces.
  • Concealed by walls, floors, or ceilings — or located above suspended or dropped ceilings (Fig. 3).
  • Installed in raceways, except as permitted elsewhere in the NEC.
  • Used or installed in a manner that unduly exposes them to physical damage.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

But for continuous load (running more than 3 hours) the wire size must rated (at the correct temperature) for 125% of the actual load i.e. 48A car charger on a 60A breaker must have wire rated for 60A at the allowable rating temperature.
This is correct. Breaker can be rounded up, but wire must be rated at 125% of the actual load.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Off topic but for future readers -

I don’t believe 6/3 is NEC compliant for an EVSE install.

An electric car charger is a “continuous load” per NEC 625.14. This means for a 48A load you need wire rated for 60A (before accounting for heat de-rating).

6/3 NM-B “romex” is rated for 55A.

Yes there are a million chargers installed with 6/3 romex.

I believe an affordable workaround is 6-6-6-6 SER cable but it depends on the version of the code that applies to you.

Disclaimer: I’m not an electrician but this is what was explained to me by a master electrician and seems to match up with the codes.
A cost effective, code compliant solution (75 amp conductor rating, 60 AMP breaker) is to run 3/4" EMT conduit from the panel box to the outlet, and pull 3 THHN conductors. 500 feet of THHN is $350 at Lowe's, or buy it at around $1.05 a foot online.

It never pays to take shortcuts on electrical wiring. If there is a house fire, and the inspector sees an illegal installation, the insurance company may not cover it. Is that worth saving a few hundred dollars?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, and Im not saying 6/3 wire is unsafe - just sharing the information that was provided to me by my master electrician. Have a look at the NEC codes.
So you're accusing all these licensed electricians of not following NEC? And all the inspectors of failing to know/enforce code?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
So you're accusing all these licensed electricians of not following NEC? And all the inspectors of failing to know/enforce code?
I don’t claim to know all codes / revisions/ jurisdiction requirements.

I also know that no one probably understands the codes fully. Im sure there are a lot of electricians that know about the continuous load requirement, and probably some that don’t.

People also sometimes suggest to ‘not’ tell the electrician it’s for an EV because it’ll be more expensive.

The continuous load / 125% requirement is pretty well understood at this point though, see this thread for more people’s opinions than just mine:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/60a-breaker-4-gage-or-6-gage-wire.123539/#post-2895961

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Soon...

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I don’t claim to know all codes / revisions/ jurisdiction requirements.
Interesting, because you had made some pretty brazen accusations.

I also know that no one probably understands the codes fully. Im sure there are a lot of electricians that know about the continuous load requirement, and probably some that don’t.
Any electrician that doesn't know that provision should not be an electrician.

People also sometimes suggest to ‘not’ tell the electrician it’s for an EV because it’ll be more expensive.
That's because some electricians charge more when it's for an EV because they think the owner "can afford it". It's like storage for a boat costs a lot -- it's hard to negotiate on "hardship" because you own a boat! Or how everything is more expensive if you tell the vendor it's for a wedding. The same venue/caterer/DJ will charge you more if you say "wedding" than if you say "family reunion".

The continuous load / 125% requirement is pretty well understood at this point though, see this thread for more people’s opinions than just mine
Wait, earlier you said people typically get it wrong -- including electricians. Which is it? Well understood? Or common pitfall?

KWeimer711

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 / Genesis
Occupation
Product Marketing

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Heard on "Rivian Automotive Fans FB" page that a couple more people were contacted by Guides yesterday. One in Austin, TX (config. unknown at present) and another from Issaquah, WA Nov 28 2018 R1T LE Black on Black.
Sponsored