First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think that's a bit different.. the Tonneau was a design flaw. The AC issues seems to be new.. something started causing an issue when there wasn't one before (either the install process changed or the part is defective). I'm not making excuses... I have just been on the other side where there is a team scrambling to 1) try to get an impacted vehicle to Normal for evaluation and trouble shooting. Then, figuring out what caused it, and how many (VIN range) is impacted, then find a solution (maybe required a vendor to ship a ton of my parts, which need to be tested to confirm the issue is fixed). I guess my point is... if it is a vendor part that has gone bad (which is something Rivian wouldn't know about till more than 1 customer reported it to an SC and that data ended up back in Irvine where they could triage)... what exactly does someone expect Rivian to do at the moment? They acknowledged there seems to be something wrong, they provided guidance that it is not a safety issue (therefore you can drive your R1... you don't need to park it) and they are working on figuring out how to solve the problem. Sounds like the right path.
I get what you are saying. But I have been waiting over a year for a tonneau...and 22k miles. Mine works, but I don't use it, and it makes noises that suggest it will die at any moment.

But....one way they could help their cause is to communicate what they are doing to address and when they expect a solution. Or when they expect to know root cause...and then when a solution can be expected.
Sponsored

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
I get what you are saying. But I have been waiting over a year for a tonneau...and 22k miles. Mine works, but I don't use it, and it makes noises that suggest it will die at any moment.

But....one way they could help their cause is to communicate what they are doing to address and when they expect a solution. Or when they expect to know root cause...and then when a solution can be expected.
I agree with you on the tonneau. Way too long, not enough communication. Almost like they prioritized ramping production and getting the R1S out the door and didn't put any resources on the tonneau. sounds like they are finally doing something... but WAY too late.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Have you reached out to Rivian regarding the issue? I'm curious to know if they have acknowledged it or if they have claimed that nothing is wrong. I've had a similar experience where I took my vehicle to them twice, and both times they told me there was nothing wrong. It wasn't until I began sending emails to various corporate executives that I finally received acknowledgment of the problem. It's unfortunate that I had to be persistent to get their attention. Dealing with this issue has consumed a significant amount of my time, leaving me feeling quite frustrated.
Yeah, they told me it was normal and to deal with it.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
sorry if I missed it, but have you used a decibel meter to measure the level? I would start tracking it and measuring it in multiple places.

OP
OP
DallasBBQ

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender 110 Dynamic X, R1S
sorry if I missed it, but have you used a decibel meter to measure the level? I would start tracking it and measuring it in multiple places.
I'm hoping taking noise measurements is unnecessary. Rivian knows the issue and acknowledges the vehicle is ridiculously loud. I would be happy to start taking readings if they want to employ me as a part-time engineer. :)

Sponsored

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
This thread is one of the many that I have read that have me thinking about canceling my order.
Exactly! Yes we are early adopters, but when the company refuses to fix a recognized problem then WTF? Very little confidence...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, you got the official "that's normal.. nothing to repair" straight from Rivian.. so post your video's on social media for all to see. They can't have it both ways...

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Exactly! Yes we are early adopters, but when the company refuses to fix a recognized problem then WTF? Very little confidence...
Early adopters should actually be treated to a higher level of service and concern by Rivian. We took a risk on the company and product. And all probably figured some problems along way. But at least I mistakenly though that when problems popped up, they would be all over like crazy to try and stop repeating same error. And quickly. But that is the opposite of how it seems to be going. Service has more early adopter issues than the vehicle itself.

OP
OP
DallasBBQ

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is Rivian legally required to inform new customers about known problems prior to delivery, or can they ignore the issues and claim that the vehicle is functioning as intended? Considering the substantial number of complaints, one would expect there to be consumer protection laws in place. Are there any lawyers present who can shed light on this matter?

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

They refuse to make any repairs because the vehicle is operating as designed. She said they are looking into the issue but would not provide specifics. It felt like she was very careful with her words.
I would file a complaint with NHTSA. Here is the link.
Report A Problem

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Is Rivian legally required to inform new customers about known problems prior to delivery, or can they ignore the issues and claim that the vehicle is functioning as intended? Considering the substantial number of complaints, one would expect there to be consumer protection laws in place. Are there any lawyers present who can shed light on this matter?
I think in particular when it comes to NVH issues, technically they don't even have to address it thru warranty, if that is how they want to go to market.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Texas looks like it has a pretty decent lemon law. The bar looks low to qualify. Here is the link to their site.
https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consumer-protection/lemon-law

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer

I'll tell you what... my 2018 Ford F150s ($70K truck) rear doors won't stay shut, or lock when the truck is in freezing temps. I live in So Cal, so I've only had this happen twice. Once, I wasn't in a hurry, and they worked once the sun came out. Second time was recent and I had to use a bungy cord to keep the door from swinging open. Once the sun came out, they worked again. Apperently, Ford has recalled 2.2 million trucks for similar issues, but my 22k mile truck doesn't qualify for the fix, because they work when you take the truck to the dealer. All this to say, sometimes issues can't be reproduced when you take it in for service. Also, if a huge company like Ford has trouble fixing intemittent issues, I think Rivian should get a little slack. Also, guides are not always the best source of information.

OP
OP
DallasBBQ

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles