LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Odd that we're assured first customer deliveries happen in two weeks or less time... but still no Rivian app release? ?

I'm sure CS would say they are still finalizing it, yada yada. But honestly, shouldn't it be out already to download and mess around with.. Especially since Rivian promotes you can do the whole purchase / insurance transaction using the app.
Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I'm also wondering if people are starting to receive their wall chargers. They were supposed to send those out a month or two in advance. Haven't heard a peep on here

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
Odd that we're assured first customer deliveries happen in two weeks or less time... but still no Rivian app release? ?

I'm sure CS would say they are still finalizing it, yada yada. But honestly, shouldn't it be out already to download and mess around with.. Especially since Rivian promotes you can do the whole purchase / insurance transaction using the app.
My thinking is that there's really no reason anyone needs it until vehicles are actually delivered. (Even then, "need" is questionable, but I still think it will be available by then.)

They are so secretive and have never fully come out of the stealth mode in which they operated for so long. I'm sure the app will have things they simply don't want anyone to see yet. Their marketing team wants to control the message, tease the app's features, etc.

Just my thoughts based on Rivian's behavior thus far. Who knows?

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Their marketing team wants to control the message, tease the app's features, etc.
Agree, why put it in app stores now just to have a thousand different YouTubers BS about it for an hour and take all the clicks away. Much better to control the rollout themselves.

Last edited:

bbenoit726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Also worth noting that companies can distribute apps to handfuls of customers without necessarily putting them in the Google / Apple stores. It's possible some people already have the app to complete their purchases as beta testers, and just aren't sharing or can't share any details

Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

If it’s anything like the Tesla app, there‘s literally nothing to do on the app until your account has been assigned a VIN number and Tesla allows access to your vehicle. Downloading an app that stares at me with a login screen seems kind of pointless, but then again, that’s Tesla method and Rivian may be different.

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
Got me thinking about Apple Vs Epic and In app purchases.
If they publish the app on the app store, and someone completes the financing and purchase the vehicle in the app, will apple ask for their 30% standard comission?

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Got me thinking about Apple Vs Epic and In app purchases.
If they publish the app on the app store, and someone completes the financing and purchase the vehicle in the app, will apple ask for their 30% standard comission?
They don't take a cut for the purchase of physical items. It's why you can buy everything on the Amazon app except the digital content.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
As somebody who has managed applications for multiple companies, this doesn't concern me. Providing the app is submitted to Apple and Google (which I'm very sure it is), app developers can light up the store in a few minutes by clicking a button.

Both platforms allow you to deploy apps to thousands of users (internal and external) before you roll it out to the public stores and allow you to go through approval processes (which take a bit longer for new apps than follow up releases) well in advance.

Last edited:

0=====0

First Name
Rajan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
O|||||||O and R1S LE 0====0
Occupation
Engineering
They don't take a cut for the purchase of physical items. It's why you can buy everything on the Amazon app except the digital content.
Got it! Thanks.
But then if you add self driving software updates "add on" or the membership fees.
Would that be an issue?

Last edited:

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Also, would surprise me if Rivian hasn't been in a mode for some time of weekly releases. I imagine that has been happening, and will continue to happen even after mass release. So the fact that nothing has been revealed yet isn't that surprising to me.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Got it! Thanks.
But then if you add self driving software updates "add on" or the membership fees.
Would that be an issue?
It shouldn't be. Purchases that aren't used inside the app don't have to pay the fee is generally the posture I've seen. For example, I can buy a game for my PlayStation in the PS App on iOS and I'm quite certain Sony isn't doing a revenue share with Apple on it.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
As somebody who has managed applications for multiple companies, this doesn't concern me. Providing the app is submitted to Apple and Google (which I'm very sure it is), app developers can light up the store in a few minutes by clicking a button.

Both platforms allow you to deploy apps to thousands of users (internal and external) before you roll it out to the public stores and allow you to go through approval processes (which take a bit longer for new apps than follow up releases) well in advance.
Agreed. I am 100% sure the apps are submitted to the stores, approved and just time release gated. They have most likely been doing side loads for internal use on ringfenced flights to tune and tweak for months or even years.

And again, most of these vehicle apps are pretty much useless until you own a car and tie a VIN to your account (Tesla, Ford, others I'm sure) unless you want to buy a T-Shirt or a bottle of Tequila.

As for in app purchases and Apple/Google taking a slice, not a chance... Tesla, I pay my Service Center stuff in the app ($1500 MCU upgrade or the $8k FSD in my Tesla X for example). Little bit of a difference on a $1-$20 purchase, and a $1000+. ;)

Matt D.

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Odyssey
And again, most of these vehicle apps are pretty much useless until you own a car and tie a VIN to your account (Tesla, Ford, others I'm sure) unless you want to buy a T-Shirt or a bottle of Tequila.
I do want to buy a T-shirt though…

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I’m mostly interested in the app as a means of reading the owner’s manual type information at this point. I reckon it’ll be available end of the month.
Sponsored